Russia suggests next targets could be three US states and two NATO countries

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Russia suggests next targets could be three US states and two NATO countries.
©Provided by Metro
A Russian political scientist has suggested that the country should take over three US states and two NATO members. Sergey Mikheyev’s suggestions went viral after he appeared on a Russian state television show, but have been slammed on social media (Picture: Sergey Mikheyev)

Mikheyev said: ‘I want the Russian empire with Alaska, Hawaii, California, Finland, and Poland. Although Poland and Finland are so stinky, I’m not sure, to be honest. We’ll clean them.’ The clips, translated by former adviser to Ukraine’s minister of internal affairs, Anton Gerashchenko, have been met with fierce backlash, even as the television host tried to dismiss the comments as ‘wishful thinking’ (Picture: Reuters)
So much for the claim that Putin's Russia would be satisfied if we just let him have Ukraine. Appeasing him would have at least as or much more drastic consequences as allied attempts to appease Adolf Hitler which led to WWII. One has to have one's head thoroughly buried in the sand to believe otherwise.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Re: Russia suggests next targets could be three US states and two NATO countries

Post by Dr. Shades »

Gunnar wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:33 am
A Russian political scientist has suggested that the country should take over three US states and two NATO members.
So much for the claim that Putin's Russia would be satisfied if we just let him have Ukraine.
So, "A Russian political scientist" = "Putin's Russia?"

How do you figure?
Appeasing him would have at least as or much more drastic consequences as allied attempts to appease Adolf Hitler which led to WWII.
You honestly think anyone in the United States will cede Alaska, California, and Hawaii to Russia simply because some obscure political scientist suggested it??
One has to have one's head thoroughly buried in the sand to believe otherwise.
One has to have one's head even more deeply buried in the sand to think there is even the remotest danger of this actually happening.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Gunnar
God

Re: Russia suggests next targets could be three US states and two NATO countries

Post by Gunnar »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:48 am
One has to have one's head thoroughly buried in the sand to believe otherwise.
One has to have one's head even more deeply buried in the sand to think there is even the remotest danger of this actually happening.
I agree with that, but the apparent fact that this is actually on Putin's wish list should quell any approval of letting him have his way with Ukraine unopposed.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Gunnar wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:10 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
I agree with that, but the apparent fact that this is actually on Putin's wish list should quell any approval of letting him have his way with Ukraine unopposed.
Since when does the musings of a Russian political scientist equal "Putin's wish list?"
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:00 pm
Gunnar wrote:
Since when does the musings of a Russian political scientist equal "Putin's wish list?"
Putin himself may have tried to distance himself recently from having any designs on regaining Alaska, or any other U.S. states, but I doubt that he would be seriously adverse to the idea if it became any way plausible, and there is little doubt that he would love to reacquire the Baltic states that were once a part of the USSR and control over Poland and probably Finland, if he could.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Lol. The US is almost keeping Russia's military at bay with nothing more than what's essentially surplus arms given to another country's dwindling military.

That "political scientist" was obviously just doing the propaganda jig.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Gunnar wrote:
Dr. Shades wrote:

This! Why would Putin show his hand if this were his thinking. This tells me it isn't coming from Putin at all and is just someone's fantasy.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Gunnar wrote: Although Poland and Finland are so stinky, I’m not sure, to be honest. We’ll clean them.’
Is it bad that I audibly laughed? Not funny but just reminded me of how I used to speak without a filter. (Probably still speak like this actually).
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Gunnar wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:57 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:00 pm
Putin himself may have tried to distance himself recently from having any designs on regaining Alaska, or any other U.S. states, but I doubt that he would be seriously adverse to the idea if it became any way plausible, . . .
What are the chances that it becomes even remotely plausible for Putin to take over Alaska or any other U.S. states?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:54 am
Gunnar wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:57 pm
Putin himself may have tried to distance himself recently from having any designs on regaining Alaska, or any other U.S. states, but I doubt that he would be seriously adverse to the idea if it became any way plausible, . . .
What are the chances that it becomes even remotely plausible for Putin to take over Alaska or any other U.S. states?
I think you’re missing the point entirely. The political scientist’s views are based on Russian irredentism:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_irredentism

This can actually be traced back to when the Muscovites shook off Mongol rule and began a sort of pan-slavic era wherein slavs, over the course of time, developed nationalistic tendencies, which included expansionism. Dugin, who I’ve mentioned many times on this board, tapped into this ‘lost era’ and deep cultural zeitgeist of Russian exceptionalism, manifest destiny, and rule over lands once held. Putin obviously supports these notions.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.