doubtingthomas’s topics MEGATHREAD

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

Re: Ohio man, 81, fatally shoots Uber driver, 61, after scammers target both of them

Post by doubtingthomas »

Gadianton wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:11 am
You also failed to read my third sentence. the man over 29 will one day be 60 when his wife is still relatively young, and now forced to take care of a cognitively impaired older man.
Wouldn't it be worse if a cognitively impaired woman takes care of a cognitively impaired man?

Secondly, at 60, all of your children should be adults by then.

Thirdly, I do believe divorce is fair game, as long as the couple doesn't have small children. A marriage doesn't have to be eternal.

Gadianton wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:11 am
There are two problems with your response. The first is your own bias toward your own needs at the moment. It just so happens you are in your thirties now -- when you're in your fifties, then what's your response going to be? Are you going to bow out for the greater good, or find a justification for yourself?
Nope, I do admit it's unlikely that a 19 year-old would be interested in me. It's unlikely, but the odds are not one in a million. Society doesn't need to try to discourage 19 year olds from dating older men.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Gadianton
God

Re: Ohio man, 81, fatally shoots Uber driver, 61, after scammers target both of them

Post by Gadianton »

Wouldn't it be worse if a cognitively impaired woman takes care of a cognitively impaired man?
No, because they can do their best, together. They can laugh together as they try, thinking back to the full life they had when they were young. That life drastically shortened when after a few years, the young woman is forced to be a servant to the older, cognitively impaired man.

Of course you would suggest divorce. The problem isn't that you'll be too old, but she'll be too old. If you got your 19-year-old today, at sixty she'll be 49. But you'll still want a 19-year-old. Or am I wrong? Please clarify the age of attraction as you pass into middle age and beyond.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:01 am
honorentheos wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:57 am

Interesting premise given your choice of evidence used to support it. Or are you subtly saying you're even older than we have been led to believe?
:roll:

Nope. You, Doc, and others seem to have low reasoning skills. How old are you?
That's probably it. It has nothing to do with seeing a dude whose board existance is defined by a watershed event involving a 17-year-old Hispanic girl. On the one side of said event are threads primarily arguing for normalizing attraction to teenagers by men in their twenties or thirties. On the other side of said event are primarily threads arguing society is ignoring male loneliness which would be solved if society would just accept older men should be in relationships with younger women. And younger women would be better off if they went for older men, too.

Guess that Gordian knot will never be undone.

ETA: To be fair, you've always been consistent in using titles from papers and articles you didn't read to make tenuous connections to your position. So you've got that going for you.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Anyone can be scammed. In fact, the easiest people to scam are those who think they would never fall for a scam. Scammers prey on the way our brains work -- normal brain functions and biases.

The grandparent scam is a particularly pernicious scam. The scammer starts the conversation with "hello grandma" or "hello grandpa." The scammer knows that most grandparents are not in frequent telephone contact with at least some of their grandchildren and so may not be able to recognize their voices. The natural impulse of the brain is to match the voice on the telephone with a grandchild. A typical response would be "Is this Jim?" The scammer then becomes "Jim." Having made the connection, the brain's built in confirmation bias prevents the victim from questioning the connection.

"Jim" will claim that he's in jail and needs bail money. The victim will be given the name and number of an attorney to contact to arrange for the payment. The victim's brain interprets this as a threat to the grandchild, and so the limbic system takes over to protect the grandchild. The fear overrides the part of the brain that reasons. The victim is told that money has to be paid immediately, giving the victim no time to think about what is happening.

In the example in the newspaper article, it sounds like the victim may have been initially resistant, so the scammer's upped the ante and claimed they were holding the person hostage. This, of course, escalated the fight-flight-freeze-faun reaction. Ultimately, "fight" prevailed.

The Uber driver had no reason to suspect that she was involved in a scam. To suggest that her age had anything to do with what happened to her is flat our wrong.

Younger folks get scammed, too. The grandparent scam is necessarily aimed at older people. Most of these scams are fear based, as older folks can feel more vulnerable. Younger folks fall prey to scams based on greed, sex, affinity, naïveté, or other vulnerabilities. Young, single men get scammed by fake dating sites. Ambitious young people get scammed by MLMs, ponzi schemes, crypto schemes, and other financial scams.

DT, when justifying your shacking up with a 17 year old, you argue that not all young people mature at the same rate. The same is true with older folks and cognition. Based on your postings over the years, I know dozens of people over 60 who have better cognitive and reasoning skills than you display here. Dismissing people who disagree with you based solely on their age is an example of very poor reasoning skills. In fact, it's not reasoning at all. It's pure bias.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:24 pm
Young, single men get scammed by fake dating sites. Ambitious young people get scammed by MLMs, ponzi schemes, crypto schemes, and other financial scams.
That's very true. Young men who are incels do get scammed a lot. There are a lot of women (or catfish) who promise to send them nudes if they pay a certain amount, then they get ghosted after paying.

A lot of women accept dates with men solely for the sake of enjoying a free meal, while also sending signals that intimacy may follow. However, they choose to ghost them afterwards. "New psychology research reveals 23-33% of women in an online study say they've engaged in a 'foodie call"
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 140343.htm
Res Ipsa wrote:
In the example in the newspaper article, it sounds like the victim may have been initially resistant, so the scammer's upped the ante and claimed they were holding the person hostage. This, of course, escalated the fight-flight-freeze-faun reaction. Ultimately, "fight" prevailed.
I understand, but he should've contacted the police. And it's clear that the woman he killed was not a threat to him, you can see her retreating and begging for help in the video.

Additionally, according to modern science, cognitive skills begin to decline at age 45.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6551607/
Res Ipsa wrote:
DT, when justifying your shacking up with a 17 year old, you argue that not all young people mature at the same rate. The same is true with older folks and cognition. Based on your postings over the years, I know dozens of people over 60 who have better cognitive and reasoning skills than you display here. Dismissing people who disagree with you based solely on their age is an example of very poor reasoning skills. In fact, it's not reasoning at all. It's pure bias
Firstly, I don't have to justify anything. Do you believe it's morally wrong to date a good woman who is above the legal age of consent, especially if she's a single mother?

Secondly, I am simply following the available data.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

honorentheos wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:03 am

That's probably it. It has nothing to do with seeing a dude whose board existance is defined by a watershed event involving a 17-year-old Hispanic girl.

blah-blah-blah

Here's what a reasonable person said, "If ... she was happy. I wouldn't judge" - Imwashingmypirate
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:17 pm
honorentheos wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:03 am

That's probably it. It has nothing to do with seeing a dude whose board existance is defined by a watershed event involving a 17-year-old Hispanic girl.

blah-blah-blah

Here's what a reasonable person said, "If ... she was happy. I wouldn't judge" - Imwashingmypirate
I've been away for a minute .... so you went to bed with an underage female and 1. confessed to it here and 2. are bragging about it????
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:49 am
doubtingthomas wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:17 pm
blah-blah-blah

I've been away for a minute .... so you went to bed with an underage female and 1. confessed to it here and 2. are bragging about it????
He absolutely did and absolutely did. I would say something to the effect that [accusation of criminal conduct deleted], but the mods have been on my dick over it for the last week or so now. Best let sleeping dogs lie.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:00 am
Dr Exiled wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:49 am
He absolutely did and absolutely did. I would say something to the effect that [accusation of criminal conduct deleted], but the mods have been on my dick over it for the last week or so now. Best let sleeping dogs lie.

- Doc
Well, I don't know if I can countenance [accusation of criminal conduct deleted] without doing something about it.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Doubting Thomas:

How long ago did you get with the 17 year old? How old were you at the time? This must have been recent because you were complaining about being older and still a virgin not long ago. Where did this occur? In Utah? What city? SLC? Please tell us more.