Ohio man, 81, fatally shoots Uber driver, 61, after scammers target both of them

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Re: Ohio man, 81, fatally shoots Uber driver, 61, after scammers target both of them

Post by Dr. Shades »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:37 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:36 pm
You're using something that happened in Ohio as evidence for a dynamic occurring on THIS BOARD?

Please explain your logic.
Here's the evidence

https://www.bmj.com/content/344/bmj.d7622

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7812437/
What does any of that have to do with your statement, "as evidenced by this board?"
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
doubtingthomas
God

Re: Ohio man, 81, fatally shoots Uber driver, 61, after scammers target both of them

Post by doubtingthomas »

Morley wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:28 am
2) Neither of these papers claims what you say it does.
Seriously? That's just some serious confirmation bias on our part.

Just because I am not precise with my wording doesn't mean that the point is wrong.

Forgive me for not mentioning "average populations" and the limitations of the studies.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:16 am
What does any of that have to do with your statement, "as evidenced by this board?"
I am more interested in discussing the main points.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:50 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
Translation: Nothing. I can't admit that I demonstrated poor reasoning skills and so I'll just refuse to talk about it.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:50 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
What Shades asked about was literally the second sentence of your OP. This was after you'd been categorically rejecting folks' argument here because they were crazy grandpa's.

Don't gaslight us bro. We aren't that old.
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:37 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:35 pm
1) Can you quote the language in the paper that supports your claim that "cognitive skills begin to decline at age 45?"
Jesus Christ, wrong study.

https://www.bmj.com/content/344/bmj.d7622

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7812437/
OK, please see Shades' unanswered question about how these articles are evidence of anything occurring on this board.
Res Ipsa wrote:
2) The paper contrasts two different types of development:
doubtingthomas wrote:Do you think psychosocial maturity is influenced a lot by the way society raises kids?
Red herring, which is a fallacy that people who purport to be rational should avoid. Neither your OP nor my question has anything to do with how society raises kids.

It's a simple question.
Res Ipsa wrote:
Who commits more gun violence, 20 year olds or 75 year olds? Consider both totals and rates.
doubtingthomas wrote:I wouldn't be against the idea of preventing 20 year olds from having a gun.
Another red herring. Neither your OP nor my question has anything to do with your attitudes on gun control.
You have to take into account that 75-year-olds are less likely to be in dangerous situations. I doubt that many 75-year-olds are out on the streets drinking. I suspect that 75-year-olds are way more likely to see danger where there is none. The concern is that 75 year olds who aren't doing anything wrong, may see things that aren't there.
OK, let's take that into account. But doesn't that undercut your whole argument? According to your OP, we should expect to see higher rates of fatal shootings by folks in their 70s. But something seems to come into play that swamps whatever the effect of cognitive decline (as measured in your two studies) is. Maybe we could could call it "wisdom" or "experience." It certainly is evidence that there is more to making rational decisions than just the results of the tests administered in the two articles.

What you "suspect" just happens to align with your personal biases. Funny how that works. And here I thought you were rational and evidence driven.
he/him

doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:27 am
OK, let's take that into account. But doesn't that undercut your whole argument? According to your OP, we should expect to see higher rates of fatal shootings by folks in their 70s.
I'm not suggesting that 70-year-olds commit more gun violence, but it could be the case that a lot of 70-year-olds, who are good citizens and stay out of trouble, make more serious mistakes compared to the younger people who stay out of trouble. This is similar to the argument against religion: that it can compel good people to do bad things.
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:27 am

What you "suspect" just happens to align with your personal biases. Funny how that works. And here I thought you were rational and evidence driven.
I never claimed to be immune to biases. I typically have good reasons, occasionally grounded in evidence, to suspect something.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Who commits more gun violence, 20 year olds or 75 year olds? Consider both totals Maybe we could could call it "wisdom" or "experience."
I suppose the question is, who shoots more innocent people because they mistakenly believed they were burglars, young or old individuals?