Why not expose everyone to a different virus to prevent more serious viruses?

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Marcus
God

Re: Why not expose everyone to a different virus to prevent more serious viruses?

Post by Marcus »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:06 pm
Marcus wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:01 pm
Not enough to be an issue, and especially not a reason to not vaccinate.
I read this earlier today when I was looking to see if it had mutated after being told that. I don't know anyone who isn't vaccinated to be honest. I don't think British people are antivax in the same way Americans are. I didn't get the COVID vaccine though. My mum got it early because she has COPD and it gave her a heart condition so she was told not to have the others.
In which direction? I did some looking this morning re the MMR vaccine, UK compliance is around 85%, US compliance around 92%. The outbreaks here in the US are usually related to a neighborhood or community for whatever reason rejecting the vaccine at high rates. UK seems to be having a lot of cases right now.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Re: Why not expose everyone to a different virus to prevent more serious viruses?

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:08 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:20 pm
...Second edit: since a few hours after I started antibiotics I have gotten a lot better. Fever has gone. So don't think I did have measles...
Antibiotics don't resolve fevers that fast, so it was probably not related. I'd rely on your MMR test results to determine if you had measles rather than that. Have you had any news yet about those tests? If you and your daughter were vaccinated, its highly unlikely you had measles, but it never hurts to check!
The fever resolved half way through the prescription. I've nearly finished them. It's possible that it's not related. I won't be tested. Phoebe is to be tested. I will receive a swab kit in the post which I was swab her cheek with and post to be tested. Not received it yet. She is isolating regardless.

I don't think she has measles now. It doesn't look like measles or slapped cheek. See video above. It looks like some kind of photosensitive erythema or allergic reaction. I'm hoping it's viral related because it reminds me of something I have on my skin. I have a patch of skin that just appeared when I was a teenager and you can't really see it but if it gets wet or if I touch a part of it the whole patch turns red. And it never went away. Immunologist doesn't know what it is.
Marcus wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:16 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:06 pm
I read this earlier today when I was looking to see if it had mutated after being told that. I don't know anyone who isn't vaccinated to be honest. I don't think British people are antivax in the same way Americans are. I didn't get the COVID vaccine though. My mum got it early because she has COPD and it gave her a heart condition so she was told not to have the others.
In which direction? I did some looking this morning re the MMR vaccine, UK compliance is around 85%, US compliance around 92%. The outbreaks here in the US are usually related to a neighborhood or community for whatever reason rejecting the vaccine at high rates. UK seems to be having a lot of cases right now.
Oh. I don't know... I thought I read compliance here was in the 90s. I must have read wrong. Crazy. I know that some of the kids at school who have or who had it during break and who shared it or contacted me directly when I posted about my daughter said their kids were vaccinated.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:22 pm
Marcus wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:16 pm

Oh. I don't know... I thought I read compliance here was in the 90s. I must have read wrong. Crazy. I know that some of the kids at school who have or who had it during break and who shared it or contacted me directly when I posted about my daughter said their kids were vaccinated.
Here's the AP report
LONDON (AP) — U.K. health officials on Monday urged millions of parents to book their children for missed measles, mumps and rubella shots during a sharp increase in the number of measles cases and the lowest vaccination rates in a decade.

The National Health Service is launching a publicity campaign after figures showed there were about 250 confirmed measles cases in parts of England last year. Most cases were in children under 10 years old.

The combined measles, mumps and rubella, or MMR, vaccine is offered in the U.K. in two doses to all children, first at 12 months and then again at 3 years. Vaccination rates have dropped to about 85% nationally, and far lower in parts of London, according to U.K. Health Security Agency chief executive Jenny Harries.

That is “too low to maintain safe population coverage — we want that at about 95%" as advised by the World Health Organization, she said.

https://apnews.com/article/uk-measles-o ... 04e9e0f42d
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Marcus wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:41 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:22 pm
Here's the AP report:
LONDON (AP) — U.K. health officials on Monday urged millions of parents to book their children for missed measles, mumps and rubella shots during a sharp increase in the number of measles cases and the lowest vaccination rates in a decade.

The National Health Service is launching a publicity campaign after figures showed there were about 250 confirmed measles cases in parts of England last year. Most cases were in children under 10 years old.

The combined measles, mumps and rubella, or MMR, vaccine is offered in the U.K. in two doses to all children, first at 12 months and then again at 3 years. Vaccination rates have dropped to about 85% nationally, and far lower in parts of London, according to U.K. Health Security Agency chief executive Jenny Harries.

That is “too low to maintain safe population coverage — we want that at about 95%" as advised by the World Health Organization, she said.

https://apnews.com/article/uk-measles-o ... 04e9e0f42d
Thank you. Wonder why people are choosing not to vaccinate. I wonder if the media during the COVID vaccination has affected people's perspective of all vaccinations. I know that there was a lot of fear mongering during the COVID vaccines and a lot of people sharing negative side effects and serious side effects from COVID vaccines. But the childhood vaccines are different and they work.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

I think some new cases of polio have sprung up in Florida. Makes sense with a strong Anti-Vaxer and Trump movement.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Moksha wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:43 pm
I think some new cases of polio have sprung up in Florida. Makes sense with a strong Anti-Vaxer and Trump movement.
Not good.