The Court Just Sealed Everyone’s Fate, Including Its Own

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Some Schmo
God

Re: The Court Just Sealed Everyone’s Fate, Including Its Own

Post by Some Schmo »

I still can't decide whether cults make people stupid, or stupid people are attracted to cults. I've known examples of both, listening to right-wingers over time.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:47 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:35 pm
You didn't ask a question. I did. Motion denied. Move for a more definite statement. How does calling the United States a Constitutional Republic being used to take power from the people?
Read what I wrote. You are repeatedly misstating my claim, and I know you’re smart enough to know that. My objection is to your description of the United States as “not a democracy.” I don’t understand why you are hiding behind a straw man instead of addressing my actual claim.
It's not a "direct democracy" but a "representative democracy" and "representative democracy" is the same thing as a "constitutional republic." This is where the confusion lies. Power is not directly with the people and sadly its with the donor class. I guess to clarify, I should have said the US is not a "direct democracy" prior to lamenting the silly slogan that "democracy is in danger" if the people vote for the wrong candidate. Maybe the slogan should be changed to "representative democracy" is in danger?
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:44 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:47 pm

Read what I wrote. You are repeatedly misstating my claim, and I know you’re smart enough to know that. My objection is to your description of the United States as “not a democracy.” I don’t understand why you are hiding behind a straw man instead of addressing my actual claim.
It's not a "direct democracy" but a "representative democracy" and "representative democracy" is the same thing as a "constitutional republic." This is where the confusion lies. Power is not directly with the people and sadly its with the donor class. I guess to clarify, I should have said the US is not a "direct democracy" prior to lamenting the silly slogan that "democracy is in danger" if the people vote for the wrong candidate. Maybe the slogan should be changed to "representative democracy" is in danger?
Why should there be any confusion at all? Are there any "direct democracies" in the world? Has anyone ever claimed that the United States is a direct democracy? Seriously, did you think that when someone on the board said "democracy is in danger" they meant "our non-existent direct democracy is in danger?" Since we all know that the US is a representative democracy, why isn't it 100% clear that when someone refers to "our democracy," they're referring to the kind of democracy we have?

There is confusion, and it is caused, in part, by the false claim that the U.S. is not a democracy. It is used as a justification for anti-democratic actions that take power away from the people, like giving the vice president the power to overturn the results of a presidential election simply because his party didn't win, or state legislators introducing bills to override the actual vote in a presidential election if they don't like the results, or legislators taking active steps to suppress the votes of people they think are likely to vote for the other party. The mantra "the US is not a democracy" is being used to, in effect, create a nation permanently governed by the minority, which has nothing to do with protection from "mob rule."

If you think the claim that "our democracy is in danger" if Trump is elected is silly, why not make that case instead of responding with misleading sophistry?
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I'm not a great poli-sci student, I don't know the origins, but I do know that questioning liberals on the idea of "democracy" and then schooling them by revealing we actually reside in a republic goes back a long time.

When I was a teenager, I was heavy into conspiracy literature. If Dr. E or Ajax or Binger has any doubts about my credibility as a right-winger, I'll bet they haven't read Carroll Quigley's masterpiece, Tragedy and Hope, which I read (okay, only about half) when I was 17, which is the backbone of any serious right-wing constitutional scholar's education. We didn't have the Internet back then, and so I relied on a friend of mine who had serious underground connections for my leads -- where do I go next. He was my supplier for just about anything. The guy's at Sam Weller's bookstore used to chuckle at me for some of the requests I had. You know, out of print books the Deep State had repressed.

Cleon Skousen was a huge player in that culture. That's what kept me going, the links to the Church, as I didn't really understand nor did I have much interest in the political motivations outside of connecting the dots with Mormon prophecy. And so I was getting big into Skousen also at that time.

One of the bootlegged tapes I had was a lecture by a friend of Skousen's, a big right-wing baptist minister with a huge southern drawl. His first or last name was Lindsay. Maybe Res knows who he is. He used to refer to himself frequently by his name. Anyway, this guy got to telling a story about confronting a liberal about the kind of government we live in. And to make his point, he tells the liberal something like, "come now son, say the pledge of allegiance with me: I pledge allegiance to the flag, and to the ....democracy???"

Whaho! GOTCHA!

The huge irony here, and I mean it's the irony of all right-wing ironies, is that I learned about Quigley (the master historian of the deep state), from Cleon Skousen. Skousen was terrified of what he discovered in that book and possibly became its greatest promoter by writing a review of it. His review went back way further than Quigley does, to trace the ideological architecture of the Illuminati, and he lands upon it in ancient Greece.

Cleon Skousen traces the ideology of the illuminati, and I kid you not, boys, to a single text you've all at least heard of: Plato's Republic.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Gadianton wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:51 pm
Cleon Skousen traces the ideology of the illuminati, and I kid you not, boys, to a single text you've all at least heard of: Plato's Republic.
What about draining your precious bodily fluids? Shouldn't that be a test for your Skousen bona fides?

The Supreme Court turning an enraged Trump loose with a free pass seems like a path to future mayhem. Let's hope the perversity of the universe does not prevail.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Here the Washington State Republican Convention warns against becoming a democracy and how they wish to avoid it through MAGAism.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/hrd4NHagmEo
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace