General Matthis Quote About Trump's Divisiveness

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

General Matthis Quote About Trump's Divisiveness

Post by Gunnar »

Republican senator 'struggling' to support Trump praises Mattis letter denouncing president as 'true, honest and overdue'
Lisa Murkowski quoted this letter from General Matthis that convinced her to drop all support for Donald Trump:
"Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people — does not even pretend to try. Instead he tries to divide us. We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort. We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership," Mr Mattis wrote.

Mr Mattis also reproached the administration for ordering law enforcement to clear peaceful protesters near the White House on Monday before Mr Trump embarked on a short walk to the St John's Episcopal Church so he could pose in front of TV cameras holding a Bible in his right hand. US Park Police fired tear gas, rubber bullets, and flash bang grenades to clear a path for the president's walk to the famed church.

"When I joined the military, some 50 years ago, I swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution. Never did I dream that troops taking that same oath would be ordered under any circumstance to violate the Constitutional rights of their fellow citizens — much less to provide a bizarre photo op for the elected commander-in-chief, with military leadership standing alongside," Mr Mattis said, taking a dig at current Defence Secretary Mark Esper for his participation in Monday's procession.
It is glaringly obvious to me that many current Republicans in congress (especially the MAGA types like MTG) have precisely the same inclination. They don't give a damn about actually uniting the American people. Their aim (like Trump's) is to divide us and promote hatred and bigotry and try to somehow benefit from that.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.