And the Impotence Came Crashing In

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Some Schmo
God

And the Impotence Came Crashing In

Post by Some Schmo »

It is so delightfully strange to me that since Biden was announced as President Elect, Trump's words have lost all power. His whining about a rigged election sounds just like a toddler's temper tantrum, as usual, but without the ominous feeling he might be able to do something about it.

My wife and I saw little snippets of his tantrum yesterday, and all we could do was laugh. I remarked that all of a sudden, I see why people think Trump is funny. We just had to remove the threat.

Tick tock, Trumpistan.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Gadianton
God

Re: And the Impotence Came Crashing In

Post by Gadianton »

The threat hasn't completely disappeared. He who controls the launch codes, controls the election. If he really wants to stay in power, he can stay in power as long as he likes; or at least until we are forced to undermine the constitution for the greater good.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:06 pm
The threat hasn't completely disappeared. He who controls the launch codes, controls the election. If he really wants to stay in power, he can stay in power as long as he likes; or at least until we are forced to undermine the constitution for the greater good.
I'm not sure how he can stay in power when nobody but his base think he's the legitimate President Elect. If he tries to squat in the White House after Jan 20, he will be removed.

How would we need to undermine the constitution to remove him? He lost the election.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

He still has sole authority for the next couple of months to launch a full-scale nuclear attack on anywhere. If he threatens to use the launch codes, they will let him stay in the office as long as he likes. Maybe life on the outside isn't so bad for him, but if his legal downside is as grim as some speculate, the he has to have at least considered holding the nation hostage by threatening to use launch codes.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Oh. Wow, that's a scary thought.

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:09 pm
He still has sole authority for the next couple of months to launch a full-scale nuclear attack on anywhere. If he threatens to use the launch codes, they will let him stay in the office as long as he likes. Maybe life on the outside isn't so bad for him, but if his legal downside is as grim as some speculate, the he has to have at least considered holding the nation hostage by threatening to use launch codes.
He doesn't have the football, and I don't think launch codes are self executing. I don't think the reaction to threatening to blow up the world would be to let him stay in office.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:09 pm
No he doesn't. That's Congress who decides. And Trump CANNOT by himself launch anything nuclear. It is a multi person operation I think.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

okay, you guys probably win. When the thought came to mind, I didn't go "full Ajax" and just post according to my wildest imagination, but at the same time, I didn't go "full EA" either and carefully research it.

Here's what I went off of:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_ ... any%20time.

"Only the president can direct the use of nuclear weapons by U.S. armed forces, through plans like OPLAN 8010-12. The president has unilateral authority as commander-in-chief to order that nuclear weapons be used for any reason at any time."
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Gadianton wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:01 am
okay, you guys probably win. When the thought came to mind, I didn't go "full Ajax" and just post according to my wildest imagination, but at the same time, I didn't go "full EA" either and carefully research it.

"Only the president can direct the use of nuclear weapons by U.S. armed forces, through plans like OPLAN 8010-12. The president has unilateral authority as commander-in-chief to order that nuclear weapons be used for any reason at any time."
True, however, there are checks and balances and a process. He can't just wake up in the middle of the night and decide to shoot a nuke somewhere. He has the authority, but he isn't the only one involved.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:08 am
Gadianton wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:01 am

True, however, there are checks and balances and a process. He can't just wake up in the middle of the night and decide to shoot a nuke somewhere. He has the authority, but he isn't the only one involved.
Yes, he can. He issues the order. The military gets the order then the military acts on the order. Only the military that gets the order could possibly override the order and in that case, they'd be breaking their oath.

Congress has absolutely no control over or anything to do with the process.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!