Vaccines and Therapeutics 2.0 & 3.0 Merge

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Vaccines and Therapeutics 2.0 & 3.0 Merge

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:04 am
That statement is a little weird because it doesn't respond to the actual news story. The story says that Roberts, not Sotomeyor, asked Gorsuch to wear a mask.
Roberts issued a subsequent statement Wednesday saying he “did not request Justice Gorsuch or any other Justice to wear a mask on the bench
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I don't know what planet we're on now. No, this isn't a Florida is crazy story. It's about the FDA.

Florida shuts down all monoclonal antibody treatment sites after FDA decision to limit use of certain treatments not proven effective against Omicron
By Chris Boyette, CNN

Updated 3:25 AM ET, Tue January 25, 2022

Excerpt:

Earlier Monday, the FDA said it was revising the authorizations for monoclonal antibody treatments made by Eli Lilly (bamlanivimab and etesevimab, administered together) and Regeneron (REGEN-COV, or casirivimab and imdevimab), because data showed they are "highly unlikely to be active against the omicron variant."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/25/us/flori ... index.html

WHAT? :o :o :o :o :o :o

Is this why one of our local hospitals is now out of supplies for the monoclonal antibody treatment??? Because the stuff doesn't work??? What exactly are we supposed to do now???

(No I didn't look up the various kinds of antibody treatment. Writing this at 2 a.m. I'll check on it tomorrow which is actually today.)
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Why treatments would be banned by the FDA when they don't do any harm and have helped save lives really needs to be investigated.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:48 pm
Why treatments would be banned by the FDA when they don't do any harm and have helped save lives really needs to be investigated.
You didn't read the article I linked to, right?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:22 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:48 pm
You didn't read the article I linked to, right?
I just read the article. But, my position still stands. If a treatment doesn't harm, or if a doctor believes the risks outweigh the benefits, why not let doctors use it. Each person is a little different and while it may not work for some, it may work for others. The decision should remain with the doctor and the patient after informed consent. Politics need to take a back seat here.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:00 pm
If a treatment doesn't harm, or if a doctor believes the risks outweigh the benefits, why not let doctors use it.
Oh I dunno. Maybe the FDA is worried about things like whether the treatment actually has any scientifically verifiable effect? You know, elite stuff like that.
Dr Exiled wrote:
Each person is a little different and while it may not work for some, it may work for others.
Serious medical treatment for life threatening conditions is not really some kind of 'I never liked vanilla Ice cream, but have some if you enjoy it" kind of thing.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Chap wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:58 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:
If a treatment doesn't harm, or if a doctor believes the risks outweigh the benefits, why not let doctors use it.
Oh I dunno. Maybe the FDA is worried about things like whether the treatment actually has any scientifically verifiable effect? You know, elite stuff like that.
Dr Exiled wrote:
Each person is a little different and while it may not work for some, it may work for others.
Serious medical treatment for life threatening conditions is not really some kind of 'I never liked vanilla Ice cream, but have some if you enjoy it" kind of thing.
A one size fits all type of solution for a virus that affects different sets of the population differently is a mistake. Let's increase the arsenal, not limit it to a favored solution or solutions. First do no harm should apply to the FDA as well. Frankly, I don't know how they so quickly determined that monoclonal antibodies were ineffective against omicron. The thing has only been around for a couple of months.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:16 pm
Chap wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:58 pm

A one size fits all type of solution for a virus that affects different sets of the population differently is a mistake. Let's increase the arsenal, not limit it to a favored solution or solutions. First do no harm should apply to the FDA as well. Frankly, I don't know how they so quickly determined that monoclonal antibodies were ineffective against omicron. The thing has only been around for a couple of months.
I think of the pandemic as more of a triage than palliative care. Do hospitals have the resources to ‘try out’ experimental treatments right now to see what sticks? Let the private practices do that, have them submit their findings, and then see what sticks. Who knows. Maybe shoving a lightbulb up one’s ass while guzzling horse paste might be the way to go, but I’m not sure General Hospital has the ability to “F” around with programs right now.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

New study suggests two paths toward ‘super immunity’ to COVID-19

A new study finds that two forms of immunity — breakthrough infections following vaccination or natural infection followed by vaccination — provide roughly equal levels of enhanced immune protection. The study published online today in the journal Science Immunology.

“It makes no difference whether you get infected and then vaccinated, or if you get vaccinated and then a breakthrough infection,” said co-senior author Fikadu Tafesse, Ph.D., assistant professor of molecular microbiology and immunology in the OHSU School of Medicine. “In either case, you will get a really, really robust immune response — amazingly high.”

The research follows an OHSU study published in December that described extremely high levels of immune response following breakthrough infections — so-called “super immunity.” That study was the first to use multiple live SARS-CoV-2 variants to measure cross-neutralization of blood serum from breakthrough cases.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

K Graham wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:09 pm
New study suggests two paths toward ‘super immunity’ to COVID-19

A new study finds that two forms of immunity — breakthrough infections following vaccination or natural infection followed by vaccination — provide roughly equal levels of enhanced immune protection. The study published online today in the journal Science Immunology.

“It makes no difference whether you get infected and then vaccinated, or if you get vaccinated and then a breakthrough infection,” said co-senior author Fikadu Tafesse, Ph.D., assistant professor of molecular microbiology and immunology in the OHSU School of Medicine. “In either case, you will get a really, really robust immune response — amazingly high.”

The research follows an OHSU study published in December that described extremely high levels of immune response following breakthrough infections — so-called “super immunity.” That study was the first to use multiple live SARS-CoV-2 variants to measure cross-neutralization of blood serum from breakthrough cases.
So this guy is right?