Vaccines and Therapeutics 2.0 & 3.0 Merge

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Themis
Elder

Re: Vaccines and Therapeutics 2.0 & 3.0 Merge

Post by Themis »

Gunnar wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:02 pm
There seems to be a growing number of promising research efforts to grow vaccines in plants. Here is just one example: Grow and eat your own vaccines?
Is this some kind of trick to get us to eat our vegetables?
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:03 pm
With the growing "let's return to the dark ages" anti-GMO movement, this method of delivery might end up getting even more pushback (and a lower vaccination rate) than the IM method.

At least that's my knee-jerk reaction from your snippets and summary. (Maybe once my noggin' is firing on all cylinders, and I give it a more in-depth perusal, that'll change.)
Unfortunately, you may be right about that. It seems that there are strong prejudices against GMOs among both strong left wingers and strong right wingers. I tend to think such opposition is justly characterized as a largely irrational and misinformed "let's return to the dark ages" type of sentiment. The truth is that ever since shortly after the dawn of human agriculture, civilized mankind has been eating GMO (genetically modified organism) foods almost exclusively. There is really no compelling evidence that more modern methods of genetically modifying foods are inherently more dangerous to our health than the slower, more traditional, hit and miss methods of selective breeding and hybridization that have been practiced by mankind for millennia. Besides that, if GMO foods were suddenly abolished, at least half of mankind would soon starve to death.

Niel DeGrasse Tyson on GMO
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Themis wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:28 pm
Gunnar wrote:
There seems to be a growing number of promising research efforts to grow vaccines in plants. Here is just one example: Grow and eat your own vaccines?
If so, it would be nice if it worked. Unfortunately, due to widespread misinformation about GMOs and ignorance of the fact that GMOs have constituted almost everything mankind eats for millennia, it is not likely to.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

More at the link below the excerpt.

FDA authorizes booster dose of Pfizer's Covid-19 vaccine for people 65 and older
By Maggie Fox, CNN

Updated 7:43 PM ET, Wed September 22, 2021

(CNN)The US Food and Drug Administration said Wednesday it would grant emergency use authorization for a booster dose of Pfizer's Covid-19 vaccine in people 65 and older, people at high risk of severe disease and people whose jobs put them at risk of infection.

"After considering the totality of the available scientific evidence and the deliberations of our advisory committee of independent, external experts, the FDA amended the EUA for the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine to allow for a booster dose in certain populations such as health care workers, teachers and day care staff, grocery workers and those in homeless shelters or prisons, among others," acting FDA Commissioner Dr. Janet Woodcock said in a statement.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/22/health/f ... index.html
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Themis wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:28 pm
Gunnar wrote:
:lol:
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Hydrogen Peroxide is the new horse paste. https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... formation/
A leading asthma patient group has issued a warning against an unproven coronavirus treatment circulating on social media that is leading some people to post videos of themselves breathing in hydrogen peroxide through a nebulizer.
The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America called the action “concerning and dangerous” in a Tuesday blog post, emphasizing that it will neither treat nor prevent the virus and is harmful to the lungs.
“DO NOT put hydrogen peroxide into your nebulizer and breathe it in. This is dangerous!” the foundation wrote.
Coronavirus misinformation has proliferated on social media throughout the pandemic even as Facebook, YouTube and Twitter have all taken steps to stop it. It includes unproven claims that hydroxychloroquine, an antimalarial drug, or ivermectin, which is used to kill parasites in animals and humans, could knock out the virus. Some experts, including Surgeon General Vivek H. Murthy, contend that such misinformation was partly responsible for Americans refusing vaccination, leading to additional coronavirus cases and deaths.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

It's interesting that making billions in coal and oil is okay and that provides people with jobs. But it's not okay to make money off of a vaccine or for Moderna employees to make a living. And I thought that greed and profit was the backbone of America?
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Gadianton wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:34 am
It's interesting that making billions in coal and oil is okay and that provides people with jobs. But it's not okay to make money off of a vaccine or for Moderna employees to make a living. And I thought that greed and profit was the backbone of America?
I don’t think that most folks trying to make that claim can get through the first steps in constructing an argument to support it, let alone explain how they deal with virtually every other thing in their life associated with commerce.

The argument would be better suited for starting a conversation about why - as example - the cost of insulin is many times higher in the US than in Canada and many other nations.

https://pharmanewsintel.com/news/insuli ... ar-nations
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Cultellus wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:04 pm
canpakes wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:00 pm

I don’t think that most folks trying to make that claim can get through the first steps in constructing an argument to support it, let alone explain how they deal with virtually every other thing in their life associated with commerce.
Who are these so-called "most folks"? Are you just trying to be a bigoted stereotype or do you have an example. Or, are you referring to Gadianton? He is the clown that made that argument?

Hey, you didn’t read again.

“most folks trying to make that claim” …

You gotta read the posts before you start replying.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Cultellus wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:11 pm
canpakes wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:06 pm

Hey, you didn’t read again.

“most folks trying to make that claim” …

You gotta read the posts before you start replying.
So you have no idea who the folks are that made that argument?

I don’t need to identify the people making the claim. They will identify themselves by making the claim. ; )