Vaccines and Therapeutics 2.0 & 3.0 Merge

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Icarus
Bishop

Re: Vaccines and therapeutics

Post by Icarus »

We know the overwhelming majority of new COVID deaths are unvaccinated. We also know that the overwhelming majority of unvaccinated people are Republican.

But Cult says there's no evidence. Just more "original thought" from the troll.
Icarus
Bishop

Post by Icarus »

Cultellus wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:07 am
Icarus wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:53 am
We know the overwhelming majority of new COVID deaths are unvaccinated. We also know that the overwhelming majority of unvaccinated people are Republican.

But Cult says there's no evidence. Just more "original thought" from the troll.
If you have the data to support this assertion, please provide the data. I provided the breakdown by state that had the vaccinations by race. Clearly, blacks were lagging and blacks are overwhelmingly Democrat. So y'all just keep believing and that is great. Actual data to support these conclusions would be lovely.
This has been provided numerous times.

Republicans are far more likely than Democrats to say they have not been vaccinated and definitely or probably won’t be, 43% to 10%. - https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-sc ... 8249f0e477

The electoral map with states going for Trump and the map of states with low vaccination rates are virtually identical.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1060&start=20
Themis
Elder

Post by Themis »

Cultellus wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:12 am
The host is the host, and the virus will mutate in order to find the path of least resistance in finding another place to thrive. If the hosts have a vaccination that prevents one virus but not another mutation or form of that virus, the mutation will jump on that host and build a house and stay for a while.
Virus's mutate at consistent rates. Rates vary from virus to virus depending on a number of factors like length of the RNA or DNA. The primary source of mutation is replication error. Replication needs a host. If one is vaccinated the virus has difficulty getting to where it needs to replicate and also to move to another host. A population immune to a virus through vaccination or natural infection makes it difficult for a virus to replicate and randomly find new mutations that allow it to better bypass the population's built up immunity. The difference is if people get vaccinated before they get exposed to the virus they will stop most of it from replicating or passing onto another host instead of having to learn to create immunity to the virus by getting sick. Getting sick means creating a much bigger virus factory in a host with more mutations going on and then being passed onto new hosts. Getting sick is way better for a virus to increase it's capabilities to infect us.
You chose to get the vaccine. Some people chose not to get the vaccine apparently. I am sure if you and your friends call them all murderous "F"s it will improve your credibility and get us further along in the vaccination process though. Have you tried that?
You might try not making assumptions about what I have never said.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Icarus wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:41 am
Cultellus wrote:

If you have the data to support this assertion, please provide the data. I provided the breakdown by state that had the vaccinations by race. Clearly, blacks were lagging and blacks are overwhelmingly Democrat. So y'all just keep believing and that is great. Actual data to support these conclusions would be lovely.

Republicans are far more likely than Democrats to say they have not been vaccinated and definitely or probably won’t be, 43% to 10%. - https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-sc ... 8249f0e477

The electoral map with states going for Trump and the map of states with low vaccination rates are virtually identical.
Cultellus doesn't know how to interpret the data on total deaths when considering race as a percentage of total population, per state.

https://www.kff.org/other/state-indicat ... 2asc%22%7D
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Cultellus wrote:
If you have the data to support this assertion, please provide the data.
Based on my observations of your posting history, so far, whenever anyone actually does provide actual data that casts legitimate doubt on your assertions, you merely accuse them of not thinking for themselves, much like flat earthers accuse any who cite, compelling, refuting evidence against the flat earth hypothesis of merely being mindless dupes of the round earth conspiracy, incapable of independent thought.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has observed that.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Gunnar wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:50 am
Cultellus wrote:
If you have the data to support this assertion, please provide the data.
Based on my observations of your posting history, so far, whenever anyone actually does provide actual data that casts legitimate doubt on your assertions, you merely accuse them of not thinking for themselves, much like flat earthers accuse any who cite, compelling, refuting evidence against the flat earth hypothesis of merely being mindless dupes of the round earth conspiracy, incapable of independent thought.
Watch. He’ll pick and choose from the link that I provided to try to back up his claim, while still failing to account for actual death totals versus percentages, and then ignoring states that don’t line up with what he wants to claim.

You can bank on it. ; )
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Cultellus wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:01 pm
Chap wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:30 pm

If 'good' or 'bad' have any meaning apart from 'I like that' or 'I don't like that', then taking such a such a decision simply because you don't care what happens to others is morally bad.
This deserves more attention. I think you are taking this too far in a direction that favors you. Conscientiousness does not always mean a person does what is best for others. A conscientious mother can care for her children but also has to have some awareness that if she is not able to take care of herself she will be unable to care for her children. Conscientiousness can be selfish without being hurtful or amoral.

This is the great dilemma with the vaccine. Looking at 360 million people or 7 billion we may think that 100% vaccination would be perfect. But if you ask 360 million or 7 billion people what is the best decision for them, they may opt out. That does not make them amoral. It does not make them evil. It may be the best decision for them.

It is also unfair to judge someone in the light of hypothetical. "IF" every person got the vaccine, THEN it would do X. Well every person is not getting it. The hypothetical does not apply. The real question, not the one that you need for your religious ideology is this, "Some people are getting the vaccine and others are not. The vaccine is mutating rapidly. It appears the vaccine may not be 100 percent successful in stopping the alpha variant or the delta variant. What works for you and your family?"

And the answer to the question of why people do not get it if it could help or would help is glaringly obvious. They do not trust you.
Thank you for your very reasonable reply. I am afraid that I am getting ready for a journey at the moment, so cannot reply properly.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Icarus
Bishop

Post by Icarus »

Cultellus wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:30 am
Icarus wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:41 am

Christ. A poll? There is actual data which is available by county and you are trying to use a poll as your data.

I just saw a poll that had the opposite conclusions.
No you didn't, you just made that up.
Icarus
Bishop

Post by Icarus »

Cultellus wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:01 am
canpakes wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:07 am

Cultellus doesn't know how to interpret the data on total deaths when considering race as a percentage of total population, per state.

https://www.kff.org/other/state-indicat ... 2asc%22%7D
Hey crap for brains. Read your own data, pancake.

Look at DC, Mass, Maryland, New York, Illinois and Cali. Notice the Black death compared to percentage of population. The blue states are whining but they are killing people that voted for democrats, apparently.

Pay attention and do math and do not lie so much.

Trolling again. Not even making the slightest attempt to be intellectually honest.

Icarus: Right now virtually everyone dying of COVID are the unvaccinated.
Cult: What source of information do you have that everyone dying of COVID is unvaccinated?

When presented data we can always rely on you to respond with such idiotic replies: "Oh my gosh. I hope the NYT gives us some more pictures like that with some words like that. Oh my gosh. Those numbers are so numbery and their words are so wordy. The NYT is the best and everybody realized that finally."

Of course you deal with none of the data, you just attack the outlet that published it which is a tactic born from FOX News. This makes you an idiot troll.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=169&start=870

You previously stated: "Vaccination rates lower among blacks than whites" as if this has any meaning to the fact that the majority of the unvaccinated are white Right Wingers. Here's a clue, political affiliation ≠ race.

Cult: "If you hate Florida (Red State) because of COVID and vaccinations, you better really hate NYC (BLUE) because of COVID and vaccinations."

Idiotic comment #47 from you. New York has done a borderline miracle with COVID since last summer. Florida's numbers have skyrocketed to levels never before seen and it is directly related to the incompetence of Trump's mini-me in Ron DeSantis who has done nothing but spit in the face of science and threatened legal action against people who want to protect their own children.

Moreover, the racial identity of only 58% of the vaccinates is known. From the CDC:
The CDC reports demographic characteristics, including race/ethnicity, of people receiving COVID-19 vaccinations at the national level. As of July 19, 2021, CDC reported that race/ethnicity was known for 58% of people who had received at least one dose of the vaccine. Among this group, nearly two thirds were White (59%), 9% were Black, 16% were Hispanic, 6% were Asian, 1% were American Indian or Alaska Native, and <1% were Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, while 8% reported multiple or other race. However, CDC data also show that recent vaccinations are reaching larger shares of Hispanic, Asian, and Black populations compared to overall vaccinations. Thirty percent of vaccines administered in the past 14 days have gone to Hispanic people, 6% to Asian people, and 14% to Black people (Figure 1). These recent patterns suggest a narrowing of racial gaps in vaccinations at the national level, particularly for Hispanic and Black people, who account for a larger share of recent vaccinations compared to their share of the total population (30% vs. 17% and 13% vs. 12%, respectively). While these data provide helpful insights at a national level, to date, CDC is not publicly reporting state-level data on the racial/ethnic composition of people vaccinated.

The black community represents only 12% of the overall population, so you're argument is just bad math that relies on incomplete data to draw on illicit conclusions.