Vaccines and Therapeutics 2.0 & 3.0 Merge

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Vaccines and Therapeutics 2.0 & 3.0 Merge

Post by Kishkumen »

Looking forward to getting my new booster shot!
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:53 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:25 pm
HEADS UP if you fall into this category. Pfizer and Moderna for folks 50+ years old. It's coming.

FDA expected to OK additional Covid-19 booster shots for adults over 50 next week

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/26/health/c ... index.html
Thanks for the heads up.
You're welcome. There's a study about how it holds up against the BA.2 variant. Seems like the conclusion (so far) is that as with the Omicron first variant, it will keep people out of the hospital and well, the morgue.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:56 am
Looking forward to getting my new booster shot!
That's good to hear! I'm finally going on a trip in late April so am definitely getting the next booster. The last booster knocked me out for a couple or three days with fatigue only. I say it's worth it to have that added layer of protection.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:02 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:53 am

Thanks for the heads up.
You're welcome. There's a study about how it holds up against the BA.2 variant. Seems like the conclusion (so far) is that as with the Omicron first variant, it will keep people out of the hospital and well, the morgue.
I would like to avoid both places, and will get boosted.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Interesting piece in Foreign Affairs about how the US handled the pandemic so far and Issues that need to be addressed going forward. https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles ... t=20220327

I think Mike Ryan of the WHO made the best observation. The underfunded, bottoms up approach to the pandemic meant that we had to deal with 50 pandemic instead of one. It just didn’t work. Like so many other public goods in the US, we’ve let our public health systems deteriorate through neglect. As with our other decaying infrastructure, chronic underfunding will continue to bite us in the ass.
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Observations from an epidemiologist I follow on the first real world data on the effect of bivalent boosters on transmission. https://open.substack.com/pub/yourlocal ... dium=email

Given Omicron's ability to evolve for immune escape, the numbers are better than I expected. Data on protection against severe disease is yet to come.
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

In another study, taking Paxlovid within the first fivedayd associated with a 51% reduction in hospitalization. https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/ ... 48e2-H.pdf
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Well, crap. Disappointing results in phase 1 trial of nasal vaccine. https://www.nature.com/articles/d41591-022-00106-z
he/him

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

There's current coverage of a new variant we haven't posted about, too. Not in the mood right now but it's online for the taking. Rotten little thing that evades immunity.

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:26 pm
There's current coverage of a new variant we haven't posted about, too. Not in the mood right now but it's online for the taking. Rotten little thing that evades immunity.
You're talking about XBB 1.5, right? I've done a little reading. It's a recombination of two BA.2 variants. It's actually pretty interesting. The original XBB was a trade off between immune escape and ability to bind to the spike protein. It had higher immune escape, but accomplished that in a way that reduced its ability to bind. XBB 1.5 has a mutation that removes the binding part of the tradeoff. So, XBB 1.5's increased ability to transmit over XBB is not improved immune escape, but improved ability to attach to the receptor on the spike protein. It's fascinating to me how quickly we can discover mutations and their specific effect.

Yeah, I know. Nerdy.

The good news is, no evidence that it causes more serious disease. And the bivalent booster appears to still be protective.

The bad news is that more people having COVID at the same time will increase strain on the healthcare system.

And we still don't know much about long COVID or the effect of repeated infection with COVID.
he/him