Vaccines and Therapeutics 2.0 & 3.0 Merge

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Vaccines and Therapeutics 2.0 & 3.0 Merge

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl, I left out the young adult in my household who is currently working a food service job. He has an anxiety disorder which for most of his life has been focussed on disease, so it's kind of a miracle that he even leaves the house. I talked him into upgrading to a KN95 from the cloth face coverings he'd been wearing. A few days ago, he told me that the other young people who work their take their masks off when they are in the back of the shop. I wanted to smash stuff. He relies pretty heavily on my advice, and a vacillate 30 times a day between thinking I should recommend that he hang in there so he can build up a work history and telling him to screw it and quit.

We're all triple vaxxed and hunkered down other than work. I just have to tell myself that the rest just isn't in my control.

ETA: Ms. Ipsa just got an e-mail from the district outlining the plan that will allow a school or the entire district to switch to remote learning on 24hrs. notice. I feel better knowing there is a plan.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:04 pm
I think Trump just lost out on the 2024 nomination:

Trump can still do or say something extremely stupid and win back the MAGA support.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:31 am
Jersey Girl, I left out the young adult in my household who is currently working a food service job. He has an anxiety disorder which for most of his life has been focussed on disease, so it's kind of a miracle that he even leaves the house. I talked him into upgrading to a KN95 from the cloth face coverings he'd been wearing. A few days ago, he told me that the other young people who work their take their masks off when they are in the back of the shop. I wanted to smash stuff. He relies pretty heavily on my advice, and a vacillate 30 times a day between thinking I should recommend that he hang in there so he can build up a work history and telling him to screw it and quit.

We're all triple vaxxed and hunkered down other than work. I just have to tell myself that the rest just isn't in my control.
Holy cats so he's sensitive about illnesses and he has to contend with the staff acting like irresponsible jerks? :o There should be a back door to the place, tell him to open/brace it and he can just say he's getting overheated. Maybe they have a fan in the back to aid in the air exchange?

Good hell. I can't get over how stupid people are. I figure that I lived in classrooms for decades with young children (think about the spread factor--siblings, parents, extended family, friends of family members etc.) and only got the flu (BAD) one year when I didn't get a flu shot so I know all the hygiene measures to take (don't breathe their air!) but that doesn't count the stupid oafs out there who aren't paying attention.

I am acutely aware of how illnesses can spread. In fact, our students were required to wash their hands upon entering the classroom (followed by Miss Jersey over here going over the door knobs with bleach once everyone was inside) and throughout the day. I can't count how many times I sanitized and disinfected tables, chairs, knobs, sinks, toileting areas, and water fountains after each use throughout the day including disinfecting ALL equipment after lunch during rest times...which is why I have no fingerprints from exposure to bleach solutions for decades. True fact!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:00 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:31 am

Holy cats so he's sensitive about illnesses and he has to contend with the staff acting like irresponsible jerks? :o There should be a back door to the place, tell him to open/brace it and he can just say he's getting overheated. Maybe they have a fan in the back to aid in the air exchange?

Good hell. I can't get over how stupid people are. I figure that I lived in classrooms for decades with young children (think about the spread factor--siblings, parents, extended family, friends of family members etc.) and only got the flu (BAD) one year when I didn't get a flu shot so I know all the hygiene measures to take (don't breathe their air!) but that doesn't count the stupid oafs out there who aren't paying attention.

I am acutely aware of how illnesses can spread. In fact, our students were required to wash their hands upon entering the classroom (followed by Miss Jersey over here going over the door knobs with bleach once everyone was inside) and throughout the day. I can't count how many times I sanitized and disinfected tables, chairs, knobs, sinks, toileting areas, and water fountains after each use throughout the day including disinfecting ALL equipment after lunch during rest times...which is why I have no fingerprints from exposure to bleach solutions for decades. True fact!
Yep. It's been below freezing here for about a week. He eats his dinner outside.

You get it.
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

One of the epi folks I follow on Twitter is Dr. Ellie Murry, asst. professor of epidemiology at the Boston University School of Public Health. EpiEllie, per her Twitter handle, has an exceptional ability to put together explainers for us non epidemiologist types on issues related to Covid-19. She did a great one today on what "endemic" means. https://Twitter.com/EpiEllie/status/1444088804961304581

Enjoy

And here's a good graph showing the effectiveness of Covid vaccines at keeping you out of the hospital. In this chart, "fully vaccinated" includes folks who received boosters.

You can see the bump from Delta in August for the blue line. The red line stays flat. You can see the Omicron surge towards the end of the blue line. A small increase in the red line. Shaded area indicates that additional cases may be added.
he/him

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:20 am

Yep. It's been below freezing here for about a week. He eats his dinner outside.

You get it.
You bet I get it! I would have college age students in my classrooms (my class and I were two courses) and caution them on these things. When they didn't take it seriously, they'd be out sick within the first two weeks. Studying transmission of contagious diseases (and other non-transmissible diseases) were part of my own coursework. Pandemic and endemics included.

Your son is doing the right thing. You have to develop the attitude that you purely don't give a damn what others are doing, you do what you know is smart to do. And who knows, you might make it possible for another person to go against the group think of a place and then you'll have an ally in your efforts.

I am not exaggerating when I say I have no fingerprints. The touch pad in the gym and Universal Studios couldn't read my fingerprints. When I was fingerprinted two years ago by the local school district, they couldn't get one good print off my fingers so waived the fingerprint portion of the background check. My new-to-me iPhone's touch pad thing won't work either.

On a lighter note, I could probably get away with a felony these days. :lol:

Oh and by the way, February is national chicken pox month in every elementary and preschool classroom in the nation. You're welcome.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:54 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:20 am

You get it.
You bet I get it! I would have college age students in my classrooms (my class and I were two courses) and caution them on these things. When they didn't take it seriously, they'd be out sick within the first two weeks. Studying transmission of contagious diseases (and other non-transmissible diseases) were part of my own coursework. Pandemic and endemics included.

Your son is doing the right thing. You have to develop the attitude that you purely don't give a damn what others are doing, you do what you know is smart to do. And who knows, you might make it possible for another person to go against the group think of a place and then you'll have an ally in your efforts.

I am not exaggerating when I say I have no fingerprints. The touch pad in the gym and Universal Studios couldn't read my fingerprints. When I was fingerprinted two years ago by the local school district, they couldn't get one good print off my fingers so waived the fingerprint portion of the background check. My new-to-me iPhone's touch pad thing won't work either.

On a lighter note, I could probably get away with a felony these days. :lol:

Oh and by the way, February is national chicken pox month in every elementary and preschool classroom in the nation. You're welcome.
Thanks for reminding me. I'm due for my second shingles shot. Another Friday shot, methinks.
he/him

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:25 am
One of the epi folks I follow on Twitter is Dr. Ellie Murry, asst. professor of epidemiology at the Boston University School of Public Health. EpiEllie, per her Twitter handle, has an exceptional ability to put together explainers for us non epidemiologist types on issues related to Covid-19. She did a great one today on what "endemic" means. https://Twitter.com/EpiEllie/status/1444088804961304581

Enjoy

And here's a good graph showing the effectiveness of Covid vaccines at keeping you out of the hospital. In this chart, "fully vaccinated" includes folks who received boosters.

You can see the bump from Delta in August for the blue line. The red line stays flat. You can see the Omicron surge towards the end of the blue line. A small increase in the red line. Shaded area indicates that additional cases may be added.
That graph really ought to set the record straight on the effectiveness of vaccinations, and yet people insist the vaccines are doing more damage than good. It’s astonishing. I feel bad for the people who have catastrophic accidents or other health-related incidents who are denied a bed because the ICUs are full thanks to covidiots. Crazy. I guess we’ll see how the next week or so works out with regard to the massive infections occurring across our country.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

My personal goal is to stay out of the hospital through the end of January. I don't think our hospital system can avoid becoming a transmission vector of the virus during this Omicron surge. I'm afraid that many parts of the U.S. are going to find out what an uncontrolled "lockdown" due to systems failure is like. The shelves are getting fairly bare at my local supermarket.
he/him

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:26 am
My personal goal is to stay out of the hospital through the end of January. I don't think our hospital system can avoid becoming a transmission vector of the virus during this Omicron surge. I'm afraid that many parts of the U.S. are going to find out what an uncontrolled "lockdown" due to systems failure is like. The shelves are getting fairly bare at my local supermarket.
Grocery stores? :shock: I haven't been inside the grocery store (Walmart) in probably 3 weeks. We're pretty much stocked up here as we do for any typical winter--a bit more probably. I think we could ride out 4 months if we needed to based on what we have on hand.

I agree with you about systems failures. Look at the airline industry right now.

None of our local pharmacies have at-home Covid test kits right now. They were sold out by C'mas. So...I'm going to call the hospitals again and ask them what we're supposed to do because the protocol was to show up at the ER/ED with a positive Covid test to get the infusion at certain times. I know one of the hospitals in question had a tent set up in the parking lot back in March for tests, I don't know if it's still there. Yes, you need to stay out of the hospital--we all do.

The health care workers? I can NOT even being to imagine how they are mental health wise. There are reports of compassion fatigue I'm seeing--particularly directed at the unvaccinated. I'm surprised they didn't have this last year as one of our family members did. Let's face it, they are being abused by an uncooperative public.

Slava Ukraini!