Vaccines and Therapeutics 2.0 & 3.0 Merge

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Vaccines and Therapeutics 2.0 & 3.0 Merge

Post by Res Ipsa »

Just my opinion, but I don't think Cultellus owed me anything in that conversation. Nor do I think I let him off the hook. I don't think I ever had him on a hook. I found out the answer to the question I cared about: is he relying on some evidence that I'm unaware of? I interpreted something he said as a claim that was stronger than he intended to make. It happens. I could continue to nitpick over other things he said that I'm not on board with, but they're not really on topic and I don't care enough to pursue them today. Maybe another time. Maybe not.

Maybe next time, instead of asking for evidence, I'll test my understanding of the claim I think he is making. Or, I'll simply ask "why do you think that?" Maybe I'll even say "please."

Maybe.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:29 pm
Just my opinion, but I don't think Cultellus owed me anything in that conversation. Nor do I think I let him off the hook. I don't think I ever had him on a hook. I found out the answer to the question I cared about: is he relying on some evidence that I'm unaware of? I interpreted something he said as a claim that was stronger than he intended to make. It happens. I could continue to nitpick over other things he said that I'm not on board with, but they're not really on topic and I don't care enough to pursue them today. Maybe another time. Maybe not.

Maybe next time, instead of asking for evidence, I'll test my understanding of the claim I think he is making. Or, I'll simply ask "why do you think that?" Maybe I'll even say "please."

Maybe.
In other words, you're letting him off the hook. Maybe. No problem, I see your reasoning.

On the other hand, asking for proof when someone makes a definitive statement of fact goes a long way toward keeping a conversation realistic, in my opinion.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Lem wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:34 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:29 pm

Maybe.
In other words, you're letting him off the hook. Maybe. No problem, I see your reasoning.

On the other hand, asking for proof when someone makes a definitive statement of fact goes a long way toward keeping a conversation realistic, in my opinion.
In other words, no I didn't. ;)

I agree with you about asking for proof (although I would use the term "evidence" rather than proof. I'll leave "proof" to you mathletes). At least for me, it keeps the discussion focussed. However, it's an occupational hazard that when I ask for evidence, people react like I'm questioning them under oath in a courtroom. Perhaps the better question is "why do you think that?" If the reason doesn't fall within the broad category of "evidence," it's probably not going to be an interesting conversation for me anyway. 8-)
he/him

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Where's the Irony Police when you need them?
Cultellus wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:23 pm

Again, you can't address the topic without speculating and making crap up about the poster.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:43 pm

I agree with you about asking for proof (although I would use the term "evidence" rather than proof. I'll leave "proof" to you mathletes).
Sure, use whatever word you want. And in your words, you didn't. Ok. In other words, you did. Let's just agree to disagree.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Lem wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:12 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:43 pm

I agree with you about asking for proof (although I would use the term "evidence" rather than proof. I'll leave "proof" to you mathletes).
Sure, use whatever word you want. And in your words, you didn't. Ok. In other words, you did. Let's just agree to disagree.
In this case, I will be happy to do so. :D :D :D :D
he/him

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Under the category of therapeutics, a Texas middle school teacher flipped out on a student, got in her face unmasked, and breathed heavily on her yelling while doing so, “I don’t care! I don’t care!”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... 2647322392

I think people are snapping.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:16 pm

- Doc
… and over a cloth mask.

I wonder if she yells at cold air in wintertime for forcing her to wear a scarf or hat. Or stores that ask her to keep her blouse on.
Tinfoilhat
Valiant A

Post by Tinfoilhat »

canpakes wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:29 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:16 pm

- Doc
… and over a cloth mask.

I wonder if she yells at cold air in wintertime for forcing her to wear a scarf or hat. Or stores that ask her to keep her blouse on.
What are you trying to say?
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

I got my third dose. No side effects were experienced other than sensing the Microsoft nanobots seeking to protect me from the coronavirus.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace