Vaccines and Therapeutics 2.0 & 3.0 Merge

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Some Schmo
God

Re: Vaccines and therapeutics (Derail begins on page 55/56)

Post by Some Schmo »

canpakes wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:59 pm
All because of his fear over The Evil Gubmint® ‘controlling’ him.
The irony here is that he let the government control him. If they offered advice, he did the opposite. They were encouraging him to do the sensible thing, and he refused.

It's an idiotic response allowing yourself to be the victim of a self-imposed reverse psychology.

Go ahead and die, anti-vaxxers. That'll show the Democrats.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Chap wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:45 pm
Of course you are a LOT better off not getting infected at all. So:

1. Get vaccinated to protect yourself

2. Wear a mask to protect others

If you are one of the small number of vaccinated people who get infected, good luck with the treatment, whatever it may be.
It is both tragic and incredible how many people there still are who still unequivocally reject this sound advice based on the best available medical and scientific evidence, while eagerly and uncritically accepting some of the most extreme conspiracy theories based on the flimsiest and most abundantly discredited evidence and hearsay.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:20 pm
Speaking of masks …

https://www.yahoo.com/news/texas-anti-m ... 22778.html
Is that picture of Christ on the wall popular outside of Mormonism?

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

From the NFL. Good data point on the effectiveness of vaccinations:

https://mobile.Twitter.com/BenVolin/sta ... 46689?s=20
Ben Volin
@BenVolin
·
6h
From the NFL:

*93 pct of players vaccinated

*Incidence of positive tests is 7x higher in unvaccinated players

*Vaxed players/coaches who test positive have mild symptoms and shorter durations

*NFL's Dr. Allen Sills: "Very clear evidence of the protective effect of vaccines."
7x higher than the vaccinated. Speaking of which, here in the US we’re up to:

38.6M infections

635k deaths

That’s about a 1.6% death rate. I wonder what our death would’ve been … Oh, there’s an article:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articl ... -us-deaths

tl;dc - Add an extra 140,000 deaths. My question for the antivaxxers is:

You good with ~800,000 and counting dead citizens?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:34 pm
You good with ~800,000 and counting dead citizens?
A lot of them were just fine with letting COVID rip and killing everyone it had to for herd immunity. What's 800,000 dead Americans compared to a couple of needle pokes?

Of course, that assumes they actually know the facts. I've become convinced that what looks like insanity and selfishness over this topic is mostly willful ignorance and an emotional attachment to misinformation.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

https://mobile.Twitter.com/KSLcom/statu ... 07595?s=20
Officials at Utah's largest health care provider say bed space at all of its intensive care units has reached 100% capacity.
“It’s beyond full.”

I talked to a dude here about the vaccine. He won’t take it. His reasoning fell in line with all the nutjobbery out there. I hope when he catches the covidz he pulls through. I’ll need a new deck next year, and he does good work. Anyway, it was ‘flat earth weird’ to have that conversation in real life.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Here’s the good news. For those who had COVID and lived, a new study says that the conferred immunity is less prone through to breakthrough infections than vaccine induced immunity. That’s no reason to skip the vaccine, as breakthrough infections are Relatively mild compared with plain old infection. But it increases the chances that at least sections of the population can reach herd immunity, which would be a good thing.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/08 ... on-parties
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:22 am
Here’s the good news. . .

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/08 ... on-parties
Thanks for that bit of good news!

More good news (and apologies if someone else has already posted the following):

There could be one COVID-19 vaccine to stop all the variants, experts say.
Will there be one COVID-19 vaccine to stop variants?
Per Reuters, there are two separate research teams that are conducting tests to create a new vaccine that could stop variants.

One study from the New England Journal of Medicine suggested that there were “high-level, broad-spectrum” antibodies in blood samples from those who survived the SARS outbreak in 2003.

These antibodies could allegedly stop COVID-19 and “also five viruses that have been identified in bats and pangolins and that have the potential to cause human infection,” according to Reuters.
A second study, which was published in the medical journal Immunity, found an antibody that could protect against a number of COVID-19 variants in mice.

“The antibody attaches to a part of the virus that differs little across the variants, meaning that it is unlikely for resistance to arise at this spot,” the authors said, according to Reuters.
Will there be an ideal COVID-19 vaccine?
Back in April, scientists told NPR they’re interested in creating an ideal COVID-19 vaccine that would be given out in a single shot and wouldn’t cause too many problems.

The ideal COVID-19 vaccine would be “administered in a single shot, be room temperature stable, work in all demographics and, even pushed beyond that, ideally be self-administered,” Deborah Fuller, a vaccine researcher at the University of Washington, told NPR.
Some researchers have started to develop such a vaccine and test it out on volunteer groups. There’s even a case to develop a vaccine without needles, too.

“We wanted to develop a platform technology where we could easily give a vaccine, and obviously the easiest format to give would be a tablet,” Sean Tucker, chief scientific officer at Vaxart, told NPR.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

The Atlantic published a very good article that explains the difference between vaccines reducing infection and reducing disease. And what declining levels of antibodies in vaccinated folks really means.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... me/619916/
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:16 pm
The Atlantic published a very good article that explains the difference between vaccines reducing infection and reducing disease. And what declining levels of antibodies in vaccinated folks really means.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... me/619916/
Thanks for posting that, RI. I wish everyone would read it.