Vaccines and Therapeutics 2.0 & 3.0 Merge

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
K Graham
God

Re: Vaccines and Therapeutics 2.0 & 3.0 Merge

Post by K Graham »

Binger wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:40 pm
K Graham wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:09 pm
New study suggests two paths toward ‘super immunity’ to COVID-19

A new study finds that two forms of immunity — breakthrough infections following vaccination or natural infection followed by vaccination — provide roughly equal levels of enhanced immune protection. The study published online today in the journal Science Immunology.

“It makes no difference whether you get infected and then vaccinated, or if you get vaccinated and then a breakthrough infection,” said co-senior author Fikadu Tafesse, Ph.D., assistant professor of molecular microbiology and immunology in the OHSU School of Medicine. “In either case, you will get a really, really robust immune response — amazingly high.”

The research follows an OHSU study published in December that described extremely high levels of immune response following breakthrough infections — so-called “super immunity.” That study was the first to use multiple live SARS-CoV-2 variants to measure cross-neutralization of blood serum from breakthrough cases.
So this guy is right?

No. You're both morons.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:16 pm
A one size fits all type of solution for a virus that affects different sets of the population differently is a mistake. Let's increase the arsenal, not limit it to a favored solution or solutions. First do no harm should apply to the FDA as well. Frankly, I don't know how they so quickly determined that monoclonal antibodies were ineffective against omicron. The thing has only been around for a couple of months.
It has been determined that this is useless as a treatment, so they're not going to use it anymore. What's the outrage about here? It isn't like we have an endless supply and means to distribute monoclonal antibodies to the thousands of people infected with Omicron. So why not reserve the supply we have on people who could use them for other infections?

This "throw the kitchen sink at it" like Joe Rogan did is just stupid.
The FDA revised the emergency use authorizations for the two treatments bamlanivimab and etesevimab administered together, and the cocktail of casirivimab and imdevimab. Their use will now be limited to infections that are likely to have been caused by a variant that is susceptible to the treatments.
https://www.healio.com/news/infectious- ... ized-in-us
Last edited by K Graham on Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Half a year later, and Cultellus/Binger still can’t explain why he’s angry about vaccination.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

canpakes wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:50 pm
Half a year later, and Cultellus/Binger still can’t explain why he’s angry about vaccination.
Lot of overtime to be made when the hospital is full.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Gadianton wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:06 am
canpakes wrote:
Lot of overtime to be made when the hospital is full.
Good point.
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

K Graham wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:48 pm
Dr Exiled wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:16 pm
A one size fits all type of solution for a virus that affects different sets of the population differently is a mistake. Let's increase the arsenal, not limit it to a favored solution or solutions. First do no harm should apply to the FDA as well. Frankly, I don't know how they so quickly determined that monoclonal antibodies were ineffective against omicron. The thing has only been around for a couple of months.
It has been determined that this is useless as a treatment, so they're not going to use it anymore. What's the outrage about here? It isn't like we have an endless supply and means to distribute monoclonal antibodies to the thousands of people infected with Omicron. So why not reserve the supply we have on people who could use them for other infections?

This "throw the kitchen sink at it" like Joe Rogan did is just stupid.
The FDA revised the emergency use authorizations for the two treatments bamlanivimab and etesevimab administered together, and the cocktail of casirivimab and imdevimab. Their use will now be limited to infections that are likely to have been caused by a variant that is susceptible to the treatments.
https://www.healio.com/news/infectious- ... ized-in-us
My beef is that the FDA is taking the decision making out of the hands of the local doctors. It's not that the monoclonal antibodies are harming more than they are doing good. They are being taken off because a quick decision was made that they aren't effective. Has there been enough time to even determine this? Omicron has been on the scene for only two months. That seems too quick of a decision, perhaps political and politics should be out of this.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:21 am
My beef is that the FDA is taking the decision making out of the hands of the local doctors. It's not that the monoclonal antibodies are harming more than they are doing good. They are being taken off because a quick decision was made that they aren't effective.
No one said they're harming anyone, what they're saying is that it is a waste of an expensive and time consuming treatment that could better be used for those infected with a variant that responds to it. Omicron doesn't.
Has there been enough time to even determine this?
Yes.
Omicron has been on the scene for only two months. That seems too quick of a decision, perhaps political and politics should be out of this.
There is nothing political about it. Two months and hundreds of thousands of Omicron infectees makes for a substantial test pool.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

canpakes wrote:
You were vaccinated when you got covid, right?

K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

Binger wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:05 am

How many times do we need to explain this? Vaccination doesn't guarantee you won't get COVID. We've known this ever since the vaccine companies first revealed their efficacy rates, which were never 100%. What the vaccine will do is drastically reduce your chances of contracting COVID, spreading COVID, getting sick from COVID, and dying from COVID.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Binger wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:05 am
canpakes wrote:

Yes. And I’m glad that I handed my immune system a detailed dossier on what to recognize and fight. I ended up with a 48-hour cold. Cool deal in return for spending 10 minutes getting a shot.

Are you angry at the vaccines for not being a complete cure-all for your ills?