Vaccines and Therapeutics 2.0 & 3.0 Merge

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
canpakes
God

Re: Vaccines and therapeutics

Post by canpakes »

More -
An unvaccinated population is especially dangerous for immunosuppressed people. For example, newborns, chemotherapy patients, organ transplant recipients, and people with HIV cannot effectively inoculate themselves against contagious transmission because vaccines do not work on their compromised immune systems. The consequences of transmission are also much worse for the immunosuppressed than they are for others. This means not only that immunosuppressed people face extreme health risks because others go unvaccinated, but also that they are excluded from using services or going places that would potentially expose them to contagious illnesses. Consider Stephanie Tatal’s account of finding daycare for a child with leukemia:

Last year, while searching for child care for our 2-and-a-half-year-old son, my husband and I thought we had we found the perfect arrangement… but when I asked: “Are any of the children here unvaccinated?” the hope of my son’s perfect day care experience burnt to a little crisp. As it turned out, one child had a philosophical or religious exemption…Ordinarily I wouldn’t question others’ parenting choices. But the problem is literally one of live or don’t live. While that parent chose not to vaccinate her child for what she likely considers well-founded reasons, she is putting other children at risk. In this instance, the child at risk was my son (Tatel 2009).

The unvaccinated parents put Tatel’s child at risk because children with leukemia have very low white blood cell counts, and thus they are easily hospitalized by small illnesses. Returning to the gunfire analogy, this is like a situation where parents cannot walk their children to the park for fear of their neighbor who fires guns in the air every afternoon. The shooter’s risky behavior, like the behavior of non-vaccinators, imposes real costs on families who must rearrange their lives to avoid being injured by their negligent neighbors.
I’m not seeing any counter-arguments offered by the anti-vaxxers in this thread. Not sure why they wouldn’t have one.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Many anti-vaxxers and MAGAheads have become convinced to try vaccination after seeing this actual picture of Ivanka Trump actually developing the actual vaccine.

Please share this image with your family and loved ones.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

I wonder why some folks in this thread are whining about getting vaccinated, or refusing to do so. I’ll bet that they’re wondering why they’re refusing to do so, as well. If only they had the ability to talk about that.

Oh, well. Two more kids down, now. From Tennessee -
Medical professionals in Memphis, Tennessee, are warning about the dangers of Delta variant and the need to get vaccinations, after two children died from COVID-19 over the weekend.

Dr. Nick Hysmith, Medical Director of Infection Prevention at Le Bonheur, said both children were over the age of 10. One of the children was a patient, while the other was being treated at an outlying facility.

Speaking to WREG, Dr. Hysmith said he is seeing more and more juveniles being admitted to the hospital with severe COVID symptoms as a result of the Delta variant.

"Early on in the pandemic, we were seeing kids who would come in for another reason, maybe they broke their leg or something like that, and they would come in, and they would test positive for COVID," said Dr. Hysmith. "So, they would be in our COVID isolation area.

"What we have seen over the last week and a half is that kids are actually coming in with pretty severe COVID Symptoms. Respiratory symptoms and things of that nature."

Hysmith said the hospital is seeing more of their pediatric patients showing symptoms previously seen in the adult population which is requiring some of them to be incubated in their Intensive Care Unit.

WREG reported that there are currently eight children at Le Bonheur being treated for COVID, two of whom are in ICU.

Hysmith fears that the situation could get worse in the coming weeks unless more children are vaccinated.

"The other concerning issue is that we're moving into the fall, we're going back to school and there's been so many discussions here lately about mask mandates and that sort of thing," he said.

"I worry that we're seeing the increase in the Delta variant, we're seeing increased symptoms in kids and we're also having this debate about whether or not to wear masks or not."

Hysmith added: "I think the big thing is if your child is 12 or over, please get your child vaccinated. We are seeing really sick kids, and I think that's the best way to protect your children."

Speaking to Fox 13, Hysmith said some of the patients at Le Bonheur have underlying conditions, while others do not.

He reiterated the best way to protect children is to get vaccinated, or have them wear masks if they are currently too young for the shot.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

canpakes wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:24 pm
Medical professionals in Memphis, Tennessee, are warning about the dangers of Delta variant and the need to get vaccinations, after two children died from COVID-19 over the weekend.

That remains true to the trend that the virus, now mutated once again in the form of the Delta variant, is spreading through the unvaccinated portion of U.S. residents. If I were a teacher whose institution had no mask mandate in place, I'd resign my position.

The young have now switched places with the elderly in terms of being the most vulnerable.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:48 pm
The young have now switched places with the elderly in terms of being the most vulnerable.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I need a few moments before I comment on that notice. I've got a slow burn in progress from reading that. Whew!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

A family have described their heartache after a 58-year-old man who had been "brainwashed" by anti-vaccine misinformation died from COVID-19

Leslie Lawrenson died at his home in Bournemouth, South England, on July 2 after insisting that he does not need to take the vaccination to protect himself against the virus.

Lawrenson had posted videos on social media claiming that he would rather get infected with COVID in order to build "natural immunity" rather than take the shot.

His partner Amanda Mitchell, 56, who also became seriously ill with COVID at the same time, told BBC Radio 5 Live on Thursday that Lawrenson considered the vaccines too "experimental," meaning he died "unnecessarily."

"It was a daily thing that he said to us: 'You don't need to have it, you'll be fine, just be careful,'" Mitchell said.

"He said to me: 'It's a gene thing, an experimental thing. You're putting something in your body that hasn't been thoroughly tested.'

"Les was highly educated... so if he told me something, I tended to believe it."

She added: "Les made a terrible mistake and he's paid the ultimate price for that."

His stepdaughter Carla Hodges, 35, added: "[Leslie] was so brainwashed by the stuff that he was seeing on YouTube and social media.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

I have a very hard time sympathizing with people who deny science, because they generally know little about it, and think their gut knows better than raw data.

I do feel sorry for the family members of these people urging them to do the right thing, being ignored, and having to watch their loved ones die for idiotic political reasons.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Some Schmo wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:06 pm
I have a very hard time sympathizing with people who deny science, because they generally know little about it, and think their gut knows better than raw data.
Well, none of the new trolls here have the balls to do anything more than whine about vaccines. You’d think that they could enlighten us with their reasoning. Can’t imagine why they can’t do that. ; )
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

canpakes wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:23 pm
Some Schmo wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:06 pm
Well, none of the new trolls here have the balls to do anything more than whine about vaccines. You’d think that they could enlighten us with their reasoning. Can’t imagine why they can’t do that. ; )
I should have added masks. : D

Anyway, let me know if you see any of them do more than toss bombs.

They don’t seem to have the ability to do anything else.