Vaccines and Therapeutics 2.0 & 3.0 Merge

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Vaccines and Therapeutics 2.0 & 3.0 Merge

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:50 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:26 am
My personal goal is to stay out of the hospital through the end of January. I don't think our hospital system can avoid becoming a transmission vector of the virus during this Omicron surge. I'm afraid that many parts of the U.S. are going to find out what an uncontrolled "lockdown" due to systems failure is like. The shelves are getting fairly bare at my local supermarket.
Grocery stores? :shock: I haven't been inside the grocery store (Walmart) in probably 3 weeks. We're pretty much stocked up here as we do for any typical winter--a bit more probably. I think we could ride out 4 months if we needed to based on what we have on hand.

I agree with you about systems failures. Look at the airline industry right now.

None of our local pharmacies have at-home Covid test kits right now. They were sold out by C'mas. So...I'm going to call the hospitals again and ask them what we're supposed to do because the protocol was to show up at the ER/ED with a positive Covid test to get the infusion at certain times. I know one of the hospitals in question had a tent set up in the parking lot back in March for tests, I don't know if it's still there. Yes, you need to stay out of the hospital--we all do.

The health care workers? I can NOT even being to imagine how they are mental health wise. There are reports of compassion fatigue I'm seeing--particularly directed at the unvaccinated. I'm surprised they didn't have this last year as one of our family members did. Let's face it, they are being abused by an uncooperative public.
The health care system is going to take a huge hit from burnout. It's already started, and it's not going to get better. I read a story by a doctor who treated a COVID-19 patient in the hospital. The family could have visited him, but they refused to wear masks. In the goddamn hospital. They went on the warpath about not using the usual array of quack remedies. He learned that his patient had died while he was in the ER. He saw the family leave, and went out to tell them how sorry he was that their loved one had passed. The wife turned around and punched him. Knocked him down.

He's getting into another line of work.

Doctors, nurses, and hospital staff are getting sick and dying as a consequence of vaccine refusal. And some of the refusers curse them and spit on them. Nobody can see that much unnecessary suffering and death and be subjected to that kind of abuse and not be traumatized. I'm tempted to suggest to my younger kids that they go to med school or nursing school or seek other jobs in health care, cuz the demand for those positions is going to skyrocket. But then, why would I want my kids to be subjected to those kind of risks and behavior?

I haven't seen as much compassion fatigue as I expected. A doctor or nurse post about how they've been treated by patients or the amount of death they've had to deal with, and inevitably a horde of people will demand that the unvaccinated be put at the back of the line for treatment or consigned to tents instead of ICUs. Almost every health care professional that I've seen respond has said something like "nope, that's not the way we treat people."

It really floors me.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

They ded. Unvaxxed.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

The wife turned around and punched him. Knocked him down.
My friend affiliated with the right wing ran into some people on the path a while back. He's a big talker, no fear to get personal with complete strangers, and they started talking and turns out the husband had been in the hospital for over a month with Covid. My friend is vaccinated even though he complains about it; at the end of the day he's more scared of getting Covid. Anyway, he asked the guy if he was vaccinated. The guy said 'no', and that the doctor had told him when discharging him that he could get vaccinated 30 days later. According to the guy, he put a big middle finger in the doctor's face; demonstrating the gesture to my friend.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Gadianton wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:50 pm
The wife turned around and punched him. Knocked him down.
My friend affiliated with the right wing ran into some people on the path a while back. He's a big talker, no fear to get personal with complete strangers, and they started talking and turns out the husband had been in the hospital for over a month with Covid. My friend is vaccinated even though he complains about it; at the end of the day he's more scared of getting Covid. Anyway, he asked the guy if he was vaccinated. The guy said 'no', and that the doctor had told him when discharging him that he could get vaccinated 30 days later. According to the guy, he put a big middle finger in the doctor's face; demonstrating the gesture to my friend.
Let me get this straight. The guy was hospitalized for Covid for over a month and upon discharge he flips off the very doctor who oversaw his health care because the doc said he can get vaxxed in 30 days?

People are truly insane. Let Darwin sort them out!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

You guys, our state health department has a link where you can order free at-home Covid 19 tests. I've got a kit with 2 tests on the way! Looks like you can order every 30 days? Check out your own state to see if they have them if you are interested. I learned that our hospital ER's want us to show up with a positive Covid test to get the monoclonal antibody infusion. Our local pharms are completely out of tests so I am thinking this is the way to go to save time showing up for the infusion if needed.

Will put this on the life on the ground thread as well.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Our state’s portal is supposed to be up in about 10 days. However, most of our tests will go to assisted living center, which are again getting hit here, and schools.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:33 am
Our state’s portal is supposed to be up in about 10 days. However, most of our tests will go to assisted living center, which are again getting hit here, and schools.
There was a list of categories that I didn't fit into. I answered honestly and that's how it went. The pharmacies are out of stock and the ER's will only take infusion candidates with a positive test AND for only 3 hours each morning so I thought this was a good time saving idea if an infusion is called for. So far as I know (I haven't called them back yet) the hospitals might have testing on the premises still but I'm trying to prepare for the worst case scenario so I don't have to blow the infusion times to get a test right there. Who knows? I'm trying to cover our bases over here. Hubs is getting his own tests, too.

Slava Ukraini!
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

Some idiot on Newsmax just said the best way to ensure you'll get infected with Omicron is to take the vaccine.

We really have become a sad nation. It is embarrassing.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

K Graham wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:18 am
Some idiot on Newsmax just said the best way to ensure you'll get infected with Omicron is to take the vaccine.

We really have become a sad nation. It is embarrassing.
That crap is all over the conservosphere. They learned if they just say something, anything, the lemmings will follow one another over the cliff. No matter how many times you tell them the truth you have five more right behind you lying, and then a thousand more nodding enthusiastically. They literally mock reading. Like literally. If you post anything on the conservosphere longer than a 1-3 sentences you’ll get, “lol i ain't readin that wall of text lol”. They’re literally retarded. And I mean that in the most literal, non-metaphorical literal sense. They’re literally retarded, and you can’t unfuck that. It’s baked into their dna.

eta, this conservative was pushing the lie the unvaccinated aren’t the ones filling up hospitals right now:

- Doc
Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

More than 90% of those hospitalized are unvaxxed. Among those dying, 95% are unvaxxed.

Also, vaccines are 5X stronger at fighting COVID than natural immunity and protection from being vaxed lasts more than 6 months. That's at least twice as long as natural immunity.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18