Vaccines and Therapeutics 2.0 & 3.0 Merge

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Chap
God

Re: Vaccines and therapeutics

Post by Chap »

To cheer you up - another company of cavalry is coming over the hill to rescue the beleaguered wagon train ...

Oxford Covid vaccine could build immunity in older people – study
Phase 2 trial data shows strong immune response in over-70s and better tolerance in older adults

This is about the vaccine being developed jointly by AstraZeneca and the University of Oxford. It basically works the same way as the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, teaching the body of the recipient to target the proteins in the 'spikes' that give the virus its name. It is therefore likely to show efficacy comparable with those vaccines when its Phase 3 tests are reported on in a few weeks time. This vaccine is intended to be distributed at the lowest possible price about $3 -$4 per dose opposed to between $32 and $37 per dose for Moderna and about $20 for Pfizer, and to be made available worldwide as rapidly as possible. It only requires an ordinary 'cold chain' for storage, not 'super freezers' which make vaccines hard to distribute in less prosperous countries:
We have already started manufacturing the vaccine so that, should clinical trials prove successful and the vaccine be approved by regulators, it will be available to support broad and equitable access.

To produce billions of doses of a potential vaccine for markets around the world, we have built more than a dozen regional supply chains to provide rapid access to as many countries as possible, as quickly as possible following regulatory approval, while reducing transportation and any potential export or importation constraints. This network was designed with our broad understanding of global supplier capabilities, combined with a focus on local manufacturing where possible and a drive to balance speed of supply with affordable costs.
Anyway, here is the main report referred to above.
The University of Oxford is expected to release data on the efficacy of its coronavirus vaccine candidate in the coming weeks, with the latest trial results suggesting it produces a strong immune response in older adults.

The ChAdOx1 nCov-2019 vaccine has been shown to trigger a robust immune response in healthy adults aged 56-69 and over 70. Phase 2 data published in the Lancet suggests one of the groups most vulnerable to serious illness and death from Covid-19 could build immunity, researchers say.

According to the researchers, the trial demonstrated similar immune responses across all three age groups – 18-55, 56-69, and 70 and over. The study of 560 healthy adults, including 240 over the age of 70, found that the vaccine is better tolerated in older people than in younger adults. Volunteers received two doses of the vaccine candidate or a placebo meningitis vaccine. No serious adverse health events related to the vaccine were seen in the participants.

The results are consistent with phase 1 data reported for healthy adults aged 18-55 earlier this year.

Dr Maheshi Ramasamy, an investigator in the Oxford Vaccine Group and a consultant physician, said: “Older adults are a priority group for Covid-19 vaccination, because they are at increased risk of severe disease, but we know that they tend to have poorer vaccine responses. “We were pleased to see that our vaccine was not only well tolerated in older adults, but also stimulated similar immune responses to those seen in younger volunteers. The next step will be to see if this translates into protection from the disease itself.”

The study’s lead author, Prof Andrew Pollard, from the University of Oxford, said: “Immune responses from vaccines are often lessened in older adults because the immune system gradually deteriorates with age, which also leaves older adults more susceptible to infections. As a result, it is crucial that Covid-19 vaccines are tested in this group who are also a priority group for immunisation.”

Researchers say their findings are promising as they show that older people are having a similar immune response to younger adults.

Ramasamy added: “The robust antibody and T-cell responses seen in older people in our study are encouraging. The populations at greatest risk of serious Covid-19 disease include people with existing health conditions and older adults. We hope that this means our vaccine will help to protect some of the most vulnerable people in society, but further research will be needed before we can be sure.”

The study also found that the vaccine, being developed with AstraZeneca, was less likely to cause local reactions at the injection site and symptoms on the day of vaccination in older adults than in the younger group. Adverse reactions were mild – injection-site pain and tenderness, fatigue, headache, feverishness and muscle pain – but more common than seen with the control vaccine. Thirteen serious adverse events occurred in the six months after the first dose was given, none of which were related to either study vaccine.

The authors note some limitations to their study, including that the participants in the oldest age group had an average age of 73-74 and few underlying health conditions, so they may not be representative of the general older population, including those living in residential care settings or aged over 80. Phase 3 trials of the vaccine are ongoing, with early efficacy readings possible in the coming weeks.

UK authorities have placed orders for 100m doses of the vaccine – enough to vaccinate most of the population – should it receive regulatory approval.

Pfizer and BioNTech have announced that their vaccine candidate has shown 95% efficacy, and 94% in those aged 65 and over. Forty million doses of that vaccine have been bought by the UK, with rollout potentially starting in early December if the jab is given the green light by regulators.

This week the US biotech firm Moderna released data suggesting its vaccine has almost 95% efficacy.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I love waking up to good vaccine news!
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:40 pm
I love waking up to good vaccine news!
If you'd stay up into the wee hours like I do, you'd already know about it! :lol: It was on my phone news I check before going to bed.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Dr. Fauci speaks on vaccine developments at White House coronavirus task force briefing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foDTTomzHow
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

No doubt Jersey Girl has already received an SMS from the Vice-Chancellor (yup, weirdly the actual university 'president' is the Vice-Chancellor, because the Chancellor is some eminent person who is just there for decorative purposes) , but for those who are not on the inside track, there is more to feel good about this morning.

Oxford University breakthrough on global COVID-19 vaccine

Remember? This is the really cheap one (produced under a no-profit pledge) that does not need a freezer, and it is already in production globally while awaiting approval.

Interestingly, it appears that with this vaccine 'Less is more': If you give two doses with the first dose half of the second, you get 90% efficacy ... but if you give two doses the normal size, you only get 62%! We have already seen that it gives the same degree of immunity to older patients as to the young.

The University of Oxford, in collaboration with AstraZeneca plc, today announces interim trial data from its Phase III trials that show its candidate vaccine, ChAdOx1 nCoV-2019, is effective at preventing COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) and offers a high level of protection.

Our vaccine work is progressing quickly. To ensure you have the latest information or to find out more about the trial, please visit the Oxford COVID-19 vaccine web hub or visit the COVID-19 trial website.
  • Phase 3 interim analysis including 131 Covid-19 cases indicates that the vaccine is 70.4% effective when combining data from two dosing regimens
  • In the two different dose regimens vaccine efficacy was 90% in one and 62% in the other
  • Higher efficacy regimen used a halved first dose and standard second dose
  • Early indication that vaccine could reduce virus transmission from an observed reduction in asymptomatic infections
  • There were no hospitalised or severe cases in anyone who received the vaccine
  • Large safety database from over 24,000 volunteers from clinical trials in the UK, Brazil and South Africa, with follow up since April
  • Crucially, vaccine can be easily administered in existing healthcare systems, stored at ‘fridge temperature’ (2-8 °C) and distributed using existing logistics
  • Large scale manufacturing ongoing in over 10 countries to support equitable global access
Professor Andrew Pollard, Director of the Oxford Vaccine Group and Chief Investigator of the Oxford Vaccine Trial, said:

‘These findings show that we have an effective vaccine that will save many lives. Excitingly, we’ve found that one of our dosing regimens may be around 90% effective and if this dosing regimen is used, more people could be vaccinated with planned vaccine supply. Today’s announcement is only possible thanks to the many volunteers in our trial, and the hard working and talented team of researchers based around the world.’

Professor Sarah Gilbert, Professor of Vaccinology at the University of Oxford, said:

‘The announcement today takes us another step closer to the time when we can use vaccines to bring an end to the devastation caused by SARS-CoV-2. We will continue to work to provide the detailed information to regulators. It has been a privilege to be part of this multi-national effort which will reap benefits for the whole world.’

Following the trial reaching the target for interim analysis, the independent Data and Safety Monitoring Board (DSMB) recommended that the team at Oxford conduct its first analysis on all the cases with data locked on 4 November 2020.

These preliminary data indicate that the vaccine is 70.4% effective, with tests on two different dose regimens showing that the vaccine was 90% effective if administered at a half dose and then at a full dose, or 62% effective if administered in two full doses.

Additional cases are expected to accrue by the time of the final analysis and future analyses will determine the duration of protection. No serious safety events related to the vaccine have been identified.

Oxford will now support AstraZeneca in submitting both the interim Phase III efficacy data and the extensive safety data to all regulators across the world, including in the UK, Europe and Brazil for independent scrutiny and product approval, including for emergency use. Many of these regulators have been reviewing the trial data on a rolling basis during the trial.

In parallel, Oxford is submitting the full analysis of the Phase III interim data for independent scientific peer review and publication. The coordination of the programme and execution of the trials in the UK would not have been possible without the support of the National Institute for Health Research and UKRI.

These data also suggest that this half dose and full dose regimen could help to prevent transmission of the virus, evidenced by lower rates of asymptomatic infection in the vaccinees, with further information to become available when trial data are next evaluated.

The interim Phase III data builds on Oxford’s phase I/II peer-reviewed trial results which have shown that the vaccine induces strong antibody and T cell immune responses across all age groups, including older adults, and has a good safety profile.

The clinical trials, enrolling over 24,000 participants from diverse racial and geographical groups in the UK, Brazil and South Africa, will now continue to final analysis. Further trials are being conducted in the United States, Kenya, Japan and India and the trial team expect to have under 60,000 participants by the end of the year. These trials will provide regulators with further information about the efficacy and safety of the Oxford candidate vaccine, including its ability to both protect against and stop the transmission of COVID-19.

The Oxford vaccine (ChAdOx1 nCoV-19) is made from a virus, which is a weakened version of a common cold virus (adenovirus), that has been genetically changed so that it is impossible for it to grow in humans.

Adenovirus vaccines have been researched and used extensively for decades and have the significant benefit that they are stable, easily manufactured, transported and stored at domestic fridge temperature (2-8 degrees C). This means they can be easily distributed using existing medical facilities such as doctor’s surgeries and local pharmacies, allowing for the vaccine, if approved, to be deployed very rapidly.

Oxford University’s collaboration with AstraZeneca has been crucial to the successful development of the vaccine and vital for its global manufacturing and distribution across the world. AstraZeneca already has international agreements in place to supply three billion doses of the vaccine, with access being built through more than 30 supply agreements and partner networks.

A key element of Oxford’s partnership with AstraZeneca is the joint commitment to provide the vaccine on a not-for-profit basis for the duration of the pandemic across the world, and in perpetuity to low- and middle-income countries.

Professor Louise Richardson, Vice-Chancellor at the University of Oxford, said:

‘This is a great day for the University of Oxford and for universities everywhere. Pushing at the frontiers of knowledge with partners across the globe and putting our extraordinary brainpower in service to society, is what we do best.’

Pascal Soriot, Chief Executive Officer, AstraZeneca, said:

‘Today marks an important milestone in our fight against the pandemic. This vaccine’s efficacy and safety confirm that it will be highly effective against COVID-19 and will have an immediate impact on this public health emergency. Furthermore, the vaccine’s simple supply chain and our no-profit pledge and commitment to broad, equitable and timely access means it will be affordable and globally available supplying hundreds of millions of doses on approval.’
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
subgenius
Stake President

Post by subgenius »

and yet none of these vaccines have as high a percentage of success rate than the actual survivability rate from catching Rona.
You guys are clamped tight on this teet, ain't ya?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

subgenius wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:52 pm
and yet none of these vaccines have as high a percentage of success rate than the actual survivability rate from catching Rona.
(a) It's TEAT, you illiterate.

(b) I really need to explain to you that a vaccine is not a cure for a disease? Are you that ignorant? It is a tool for effectively banishing a virus from the scene by ensuring that a large proportion of the population can no longer provide it with a place to survive and breed, because they have immunity. If you can get enough people to take the vaccine and become immune, eventually the virus dies out altogether, and it can no longer kill vulnerable people or force hospitals to use their ICU beds on those suffering from it. That way we all get back to normal life. Your comparison makes no sense. (But what did I expect?)
Maksutov:
Mayan Elephant:
subgenius
Stake President

Post by subgenius »

Chap wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:03 pm
subgenius wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:52 pm
(a) It's TEAT, you illiterate.
Yep, this is the takeaway.
(b) I really need to explain to you that a vaccine is not a cure for a disease? Are you that ignorant? It is a tool for effectively banishing a virus from the scene by ensuring that a large proportion of the population can no longer provide it with a place to survive and breed, because they have immunity. If you can get enough people to take the vaccine and become immune, eventually the virus dies out altogether, and it can no longer kill vulnerable people or force hospitals to use their ICU beds on those suffering from it. That way we all get back to normal life. Your comparison makes no sense. (But what did I expect?)
Hold up a sec....I am just looking for where i said it was a cure....hmm, i can find "success rate"...."survivability rate"....jus gimme a sec more...
Oh wait, I got ya, I forgot that you preferred to not rely on facts and figure for this topic. Forgive me, let me get in line with the following:
"AAAAArrrrgggghhh! Russians and white supremacists want us to die in the streets from a virus that is TRRRRUUUUMMMPPPP'SSSS! fault!"
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

subgenius wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:54 pm
Hold up a sec....I am just looking for where i said it was a cure....hmm, i can find "success rate"...."survivability rate"....jus gimme a sec more...
Oh wait, I got ya, I forgot that you preferred to not rely on facts and figure for this topic.
You miss the point. Comparing the rate of survival of those infected with a virus with the rate of effectiveness of a vaccine in conferring immunity on those to whom it has been administered, which is what you did, makes no sense at all. It's not just apples and oranges, more like apples and high school baseball scores.
Maksutov:
Mayan Elephant:
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Chap wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:16 pm
subgenius wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:54 pm
Oh wait, I got ya, I forgot that you preferred to not rely on facts and figure for this topic.
You miss the point. Comparing the rate of survival of those infected with a virus with the rate of effectiveness of a vaccine in conferring immunity on those to whom it has been administered, which is what you did, makes no sense at all. It's not just apples and oranges, more like apples and high school baseball scores.
He’ll be pushing folks out of line to get his dose of vaccine when it becomes available. He’s just a bit angry over ... things ... these days.