Vaccines and Therapeutics 2.0 & 3.0 Merge

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Vaccines and therapeutics

Post by Jersey Girl »

canpakes wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:39 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:18 pm
Talk about mindless stupidity on the part of the American public. You would think that grown adults would realize that when they make appointments with a facility, that day's number of doses is taken out of storage for the patients. When they fail to show, the facility risks having to waste precious doses of vaccine.

I can't help but think that this is probably happening nationwide to some degree.
I hate to be cynical enough to mention the possibility, but given what has been witnessed so far across this country and the statements and attitudes of some against the vaccine, I have to wonder if any or most of these appointments were made by people who knew well beforehand that they had no intention of showing up.

Let’s just hope that they’re only a bit fearful or forgetful ... who likes getting poked with a needle, right?
Oh. Be as cynical as you like. Regardless if they're being irresponsible by "double dipping" or doing it on purpose (to waste vaccine) this is just another example of why human nature so often disappoints.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Gunnar wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:58 am
by the way, do you count the flu, the common cold, seasonal allergies and asthma as respiratory illnesses?
I suppose you could count those as respiratory illnesses. Sure. They all involve the immune system I think. What do you think?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:49 am
Gunnar wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:58 am
by the way, do you count the flu, the common cold, seasonal allergies and asthma as respiratory illnesses?
I suppose you could count those as respiratory illnesses. Sure. They all involve the immune system I think. What do you think?
Certainly they are respiratory illnesses involving the immune system!
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

God help us all!

'I'm a prophet': Pastor discourages his congregation from taking vaccine
https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2021/04/1 ... kg-vpx.cnn

Slava Ukraini!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Update from the interwebz - Ted Nugent, a notorious anti-vaxxer and anti-covid pro-Trump conspiracy guy caught the coof. He was urged not to divulge this truth, but did so anyway stating it was horrible and he was so sick he literally crawled out of bed. I’m glad to see he’s still alive, only because I hold some affection for him thanks to being 15 years-old and thinking Stranglehold was perhaps one the totes best songs ever.

No word if this experience changed his mind with regard to the pandemic.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Well, it happened. One of JB's close friends who refused to wear a mask or get vaccinated. The whole like-minded family has been out be bopping around taking no precautions for over a year now like there was no tomorrow. Tomorrow came this morning. The wife went on an extended road trip with one of the adult kids to different states to visit family and returned with a cough nearly 2 weeks ago. She couldn't breathe this morning so he took her to urgent care. Urgent care had her immediately transported by ambulance to the ED where upon she was admitted to the hospital. DX: Covid-19.

She has a heart condition. She has kidney failure. She has fluid building up in her lungs.

She's too far out from the onset of symptoms so Remdesivir isn't a choice. God only knows what is going to happen there.

They are both older than us. They wanted to Covid test him. He rejected it outright because he doesn't want them to stick a q tip up his nose. Don't even get me started. This man is an Army veteran and retired cop. And he's reluctant to have a q tip up his nose. He apparently acquiesced. Got tested for Covid and did the antibody test. He doesn't know one thing from the other, he's not making sense in his conversations, so it's hard to tell if he even had any test at all. We think he's bs-ing.

And so far as I know, he's still refusing to wear a mask. But one good thing. He sent her into the hospital with her phone so she can talk to him! Yeah. Talk to him. Right. She can't even breathe.

If this weren't so damn serious I'd be tempted to say, "I told you so". But it is and we're not.

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Damn, I hate to hear that. So close to what should be home free.

I get second Moderna tomorrow. :D
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 6:37 am
Yeah, it's horrible. JB isn't sure but he thinks he noticed the guy coughing on the phone. :shock:
Go stick a needle in your arm, RI!

Slava Ukraini!
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Res Ipsa wrote:

Please let's extend our sympathy a little, so it is not limited to the people who deliberately ignored the risk of catching the virus, and then got infected (which was their choice), to the other people involved - that is, all the people to whom they may have passed on the virus, all the people who may not be able to get hospital treatment because they are occupying a bed, and - really don't let's forget this - anybody who later suffers from a nasty variant virus they allowed to be generated when they got infected. Because that is where variants come from.

Frankly, my sympathy for the halo of involuntary victims surrounding any sick COVID denier is infinitely greater than it is for the denier.

I got my second Pfizer last week, and am looking forward to a slight easing of precautions as protection builds up. But you know what? Over the last 15 months or so I have got so used to them that it is not much of a burden to keep them up for as long as they serve any useful purpose to me or anyone else.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Chap wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 3:39 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:

Please let's extend our sympathy a little, so it is not limited to the people who deliberately ignored the risk of catching the virus, and then got infected (which was their choice), to the other people involved - that is, all the people to whom they may have passed on the virus, all the people who may not be able to get hospital treatment because they are occupying a bed, and - really don't let's forget this - anybody who later suffers from a nasty variant virus they allowed to be generated when they got infected. Because that is where variants come from.

Frankly, my sympathy for the halo of involuntary victims surrounding any sick COVID denier is infinitely greater than it is for the denier.

I got my second Pfizer last week, and am looking forward to a slight easing of precautions as protection builds up. But you know what? Over the last 15 months or so I have got so used to them that it is not much of a burden to keep them up for as long as they serve any useful purpose to me or anyone else.
Absolutely! That halo also includes people who for health reasons cannot be vaccinated and people for whom the vaccination was not effective. I don’t have much sympathy for deniers. If they were the only ones affected, I’d chalk it up to self inflicted wounds.

I feel the same way about the restrictions. They just feel natural now.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.