Rock n' Roll Rabbit Hole (Took a turn for the Stones and more)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Father Francis
Bishop

Re: Rock n' Roll Rabbit Hole (Took a turn for the Stones and more)

Post by Father Francis »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:43 pm
OMG this is hysterical. How have I not seen this before? :lol:

tim curry as mick jagger.avi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9SNV7lPA9E
Dead on. I'm kinda a casual fan of both an I dig it.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Oh this is what I was waiting for last night!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

In the original Stones thread, I mentioned how the Stones play on what is called the wobble. This video is one of the best examples of that from START to finish. It feels like the song is going to fall apart any second and it never does. They pick it back up and roll right back on track.

I live for this stuff!!!! Puffy hearts everywhere!!!!!

If you don't FEEL this groove head to toe, you literally have no soul.

The Rolling Stones "Tumbling Dice" @ COTA | Austin, Texas | November 20, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcVzAXcYWnw

Follow up observation: Do the people in Austin not know how to dance? crap, we danced through the entire show. How could you NOT????? If you're not on your feet, you wasted a whole crapton of money!!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

A little background before I get to my point. I'm a casual fan of the Stones. I never bought an album and I like everything I ever heard from them, but I don't get the devotion to this band. People get tattoos of the lips (not judging, I'm a Deadhead with an appointment to get a Stealie tattooed around my RN tattoo), they pay 100's of dollars for the worst seats. I wonder, and only as a matter of curiosity, is what do you love about the Stones? I really want to know. Art is subjective and I always wonder what people like about things I don't really connect to, because other people's perspectives are always interesting to me. Thank you for obliging, or I get it if you don't.

Edit: I know and accept that many of the artists I listen to are pompous assholes, so I removed what I said about that.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Father Francis wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:23 am
A little background before I get to my point. I'm a casual fan of the Stones. I never bought an album and I like everything I ever heard from them, but I don't get the devotion to this band. People get tattoos of the lips (not judging, I'm a Deadhead with an appointment to get a Stealie tattooed around my RN tattoo), they pay 100's of dollars for the worst seats. I wonder, and only as a matter of curiosity, is what do you love about the Stones? I really want to know. Art is subjective and I always wonder what people like about things I don't really connect to, because other people's perspectives are always interesting to me. Thank you for obliging, or I get it if you don't.

Edit: I know and accept that many of the artists I listen to are pompous assholes, so I removed what I said about that.
Do you want the answer in narrative or will list form work?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

Your choice. I'm just interested in other people's views. I guess that's why psych and peds were my best subjects in nursing school.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Father Francis wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:04 am
Your choice. I'm just interested in other people's views. I guess that's why psych and peds were my best subjects in nursing school.
I have written extensively about the Stones on this forum. This isn't the only thread I've commented on. It's only the most recent. I started this particular thread to block out the world during lock down.

I wish MeDotOrg could answer as if he were me because he's been reading my comments for a coupe of years or so and I think he gets where I come from re: Stones.

I'll start the list...if you like psych you'll probably love this. ;)

1. I've loved them since I heard their first blues covers. Their first album. Yes, I have it.
2. They're dirty. They're raw.
3. I like bad boys and I always have.
4. I love their dirty blues sound. If a bottle of whiskey could make a sound, it would sound like the Stones.
5. They took American blues and gave it back to America.
6. They're living contradictions. (Dirty, raw, artistic, intelligent, and refined.)
7. Keith Richards is a god.
8. They're survivors in every way I can think of.
9. They are a well practiced, well oiled machine.
10. Jagger and Richards have maintained the longest marriage in Rock n' Roll history.

I'm sure I have more to say, but it'll have to wait.

Example...

This

The Rolling Stones - I just want to make love to you 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24ymgjMsJXU

Became this...the whiskey.

The Rolling Stones - I Just Want To Make Love To You - Live OFFICIAL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AP335JnMTU

Slava Ukraini!
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

Thanks for your response.

That live rendition of the Muddy Waters classic was awesome. I'm a big fan of the blues. Most of the blues legends are dead and died before I was old enough to go to a concert. I am lucky enough to have seen BB King just a year or two before he passed. That was a religious experience. Anyways, your post has convinced me that I may have been missing out by not giving the Stones a closer look. I do have to disagree on one point. I'm pretty sure Keith Richards is undead, and not a god.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Father Francis wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:30 pm

That live rendition of the Muddy Waters classic was awesome. I'm a big fan of the blues. Most of the blues legends are dead and died before I was old enough to go to a concert. I am lucky enough to have seen BB King just a year or two before he passed. That was a religious experience. Anyways, your post has convinced me that I may have been missing out by not giving the Stones a closer look. I do have to disagree on one point. I'm pretty sure Keith Richards is undead, and not a god.
Which Stones version did you prefer? The first or the second that I posted?

Slava Ukraini!
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:05 am
Father Francis wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:30 pm

Which Stones version did you prefer? The first or the second that I posted?
The second one for sure. Like you said, the whiskey. I get it now. Consider me a new convert.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Rolling Stones cover by Motorhead. Better than the original.

https://youtu.be/Bt4Xx3vX3Lg