Rock n' Roll Rabbit Hole (Took a turn for the Stones and more)

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Re: Rock n' Roll Rabbit Hole

Post by MeDotOrg »

Dollars to donuts that Richard Chamberlain cut Dream Dream Dream to capitalize on Dr. Kildare.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Blueberry Hill

So yeah. I got on the Fats train just a couple of minutes ago (as a form of therapy which is what this thread is really about) and thought I'd post just a few renditions I've seen before on YouTube.

The one and only Antoine "Fats" Domino Jr. (which is how he was typically introduced folks. by the way, you can Stroll to this song. If you can't Stroll just sit down.)
Fats Domino - Blueberry Hill [master 1](early 45RPM version with flub at 1:06) - June 27, 1956

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaWvbJSjAko

🔥Fats Domino — Blueberry Hill (1956)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm4l43exh2M

FATS DOMINO LIVE {1986} With Jerry Lee Lewis, Ray Charles, Ron Wood, Paul Shaffer, Blueberry Hill starts at 5:08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzlGPZzb5jE

Singing PM: 'Fats' Putin over the top of 'Blueberry Hill' with piano solo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV4IjHz2yIo

*Elvis Presley // Fats Domino - *Blueberry Hill // Love Me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54sVT4CtmEM
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Why is this a song that speaks to you? It's not one from the era that I connect with so I'm curious.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

honorentheos wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:08 pm
Why is this a song that speaks to you? It's not one from the era that I connect with so I'm curious.
I just had Alexa play it for me before posting about it. It's mellow. As I said in the post, this thread is a form of therapy. And some songs are just good to dance to. Again, a form of therapy.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

p.s. honor. Try singing it. Listen to the sax.

Slava Ukraini!
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:14 pm
honorentheos wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:08 pm
I just had Alexa play it for me before posting about it. It's mellow. As I said in the post, this thread is a form of therapy. And some songs are just good to dance to. Again, a form of therapy.
My parents listened to what we called the golden oldies station when we'd go on drives and that covered music from the 40s through the 60s, eventually adding songs from the early 70s. So there were songs that would play that, as a kid, I found catchy or appealing in the way timeless pop songs do. Blueberry Hill was not one of those songs that I ever connected with. Can't say why but relistening to it now confirmed I don't really "feel" it.

So I'm wondering if it is nostalgia or something in the song itself?
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

honorentheos wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:19 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:14 pm

My parents listened to what we called the golden oldies station when we'd go on drives and that covered music from the 40s through the 60s, eventually adding songs from the early 70s. So there were songs that would play that, as a kid, I found catchy or appealing in the way timeless pop songs do. Blueberry Hill was not one of those songs that I ever connected with. Can't say why but relistening to it now confirmed I don't really "feel" it.

So I'm wondering if it is nostalgia or something in the song itself?
Oh definitely nostalgia. Let me explain. My longest and faraway memory dates back to when I was about 2 years old. I know it's real because I described it to my mother before she died when I was 34 years old. We had been talking like we always had--intimate conversations. She was still well at the time though she would pass some months later. Anyway, I described to her where my crib was located in the upstairs of our hold house in Jersey. That there were two cribs next to each other, both next to the full size bed my parents slept in. My crib was nearest to my parents bed and my baby brother's crib was next to mine. I remember looking over from my crib into his and seeing him. There was a baby dresser (lingerie dresser) across from the cribs with a lamp on it. On the dresser were two figurines of a baby girl and a baby boy. When I told her this, she looked up over her glasses at me with tears in her eyes and...

Her: How do you know that?
Me: I remember it, Ma.
Am I right?
Her: Yes, Jersey.

That's the only memory I have of my brother. He died when I was 3 years old and buried on my birthday.

Back to the music, I grew up with this music. It's kind of in my DNA. We had a stack of 45's and also 78's (glass I think) records that we played on an old record player usually on Sunday afternoons and we all danced to them. I learned to dance to Rock 'n Roll with my aunt who was a teenager at that time. We watched American Bandstand after school and danced together every week day. So, if you consider the date of my earliest memory and the fact that I heard this early Rock n' Roll and also Big Bands, and "Hillbilly" music throughout my early years and forward, I have this music etched into my psyche...not to mention that I can dance to all of it as well.

When JB and I went overseas, I had my MIL store that record collection in her attic. When we came back from Germany, she told us she had thrown them all out. I could have died on the spot. Those things mattered to me. People matter to me. My memories matter to me and this music going back to the Flood matters to me. It could have been happy memories of my first childhood, much later going to the Rock n' Roll Revival's at MSG, singing Doo Wop with JB when we were dating, getting high with friends or relatives (not joking here), or in the case of my mother's death--using Big Band music to see if she was cognitively still "there". And she was. Even using music as part of grieving or a form of prayer and hope when I am struggling to rise up from a hard place which I still do to this very day.

What does Blueberry Hill mean to me? It means Strolling through the living room on a Sunday afternoon or while watching Dick Clark. :-)

If you ask me about any song I've ever posted, I probably have a memory or some past vibe to go with it. And thus concludes a history of Jersey and some of her music connections. :-)

p.s. I like comparing the different versions from various artists.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Different versions and unusual pairings. Like Meatloaf singing with Pavarotti.

Look what I found and who is the probable drummer on this. I mean, it's possible but not apparent. He was more of a jazz drummer. I just feel like Berry is lip syncing on this. I dunno.

Chuck Berry "Sweet Little Sixteen"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLV4NGpoy_E

Slava Ukraini!
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:53 pm
Different versions and unusual pairings. Like Meatloaf singing with Pavarotti.

Look what I found and who is the probable drummer on this. I mean, it's possible but not apparent. He was more of a jazz drummer. I just feel like Berry is lip syncing on this. I dunno.

Chuck Berry "Sweet Little Sixteen"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLV4NGpoy_E
Definitely lip syncing and not playing the guitar. But he's quite the showman. His guitar solos are still in a different league and that's without trying to make allowances. The innovation he brought to the form only really had an heir when Hendrix came on the scene. It's the one thing missing from that clip that bothered me.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Check out the solo from Maybelline at 2:30 in the clip.

https://youtu.be/lhoyMlX5avU

Jesus.