The gospel of Q

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

Re: The gospel of Q

Post by Gunnar »

Looks and sound a lot like the arguments and conspiracy theories used by Flat Earthers to persuade people that the idea that the World is spherical in shape is nothing but a sophisticated NASA and/or Illuminati hoax. I would be surprised if none of the the QANON. supporters in Congress turn out to also be Flat Earthers. What about that, subby and ajax? Do you also support the flat earth hypothesis? Even that is no more ridiculous than some of the things you've been claiming!
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Marjorie Taylor Green's latest conspiracy theory:
The most recent Greene view to be unearthed comes via Eric Hananoki. Just over two years ago, Greene suggested in a Facebook post that wildfires in California were not natural. Forests don’t just catch fire, you know. Rather, the blazes had been started by PG&E, in conjunction with the Rothschilds, using a space laser, in order to clear room for a high-speed rail project. Here is Greene’s entire post, via Media Matters:

The Rothschild family has featured heavily in anti-Semitic conspiracy theories since at least the 19th century. Anti-Semites have generally updated the theory by replacing the Rothschilds with George Soros, a more contemporary and plausible-seeming mastermind for a global conspiracy to spread left-wing ideology. Greene’s version has instead updated the theory by giving the Rothschilds possession of a secret, powerful space laser.

Now, you might wonder why, if an international cabal of Jewish bankers wanted to finance a rail project, they would go about it by using their space lasers to set a catastrophic blaze. Aren’t there easier ways to get your rail stations approved by the state legislature? If you can pull off a massive conspiracy like that and keep it quiet, and you have a space laser you can use to immolate basically any target on Earth, there have to be more direct profit-making opportunities than burning down trees in order to arbitrage the land value for a public-transit contract.
How far out and ridiculous do Republicans' conspiracies theories have to get before their hard core base realizes how badly they've been duped? Does anyone not yet see how Republican ideology and claims are more and more akin to Flat Earthism than to reality?
Last edited by Gunnar on Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Which is how the party wound up with Marjorie Taylor Greene, a dangerous loon whom the voters of Georgia’s 14th Congressional District decided to send to the U.S. House.

Before she was elected last year, QAnon devotee Greene made a name for herself by spreading bonkers conspiracy theories, including that the school shooting tragedies in Newtown, Conn., and Parkland, Fla., were staged.

She has also embraced another one claiming that former secretary of state Hillary Clinton murdered a child during a Satanic ritual and drank her blood.

And they just keep coming. Newly unearthed are social media postings in which Greene appeared to endorse, through likes and shares and comments, the idea of executing Democratic leaders. One of the posts she “liked” suggested getting rid of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) with “a bullet to the head.” CNN’s KFile also found a 2019 video in which Greene harassed David Hogg, a survivor of the Parkland shooting who was making the rounds on Capitol Hill to advocate for gun control. The congresswoman-to-be shouted lies at the teen and called him “a coward” for not responding to her.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... or-greene/
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Imagine it's 6 years ago. You've never heard of QAnon. A woman walks up to you in an agitated state, and started telling you about a Jewish Cabal that fired lasers from outer space to start forest fires in California so they could make room for a high speed railroad line. What would you think?

If you're like me, you would think she was a paranoid schizophrenic off her medication. If she was tweaking, I would put it off as the paranoid ending of a long meth jag.

But my first response would not be to elect her to the House of Representatives and have her sit on the Education Committee. That this woman now does so is frightening on a lot of levels, but the biggest one is that if one person believes it, it's Paranoid Schizophrenia, but if enough people believe it, it's a political movement.

You stop thinking about how batshit crazy this until you realize how batshit crazy this would be if only one person believed it. QAnon truly is mass psychosis.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

It often seems like the more outrageous and improbable the conspiracy, the more eagerly they double down on believing and supporting it. I'm sure that pointing out the lack of credible evidence for the conspiracy is only taken by them as further proof of the depth of the conspiracy, and the cleverness of its perpetrators in hiding it from public scrutiny. Much like medieval witch hunters insisting that denying being a witch only proved conclusively that the denier was, in fact, a witch.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:13 am
Imagine it's 6 years ago. You've never heard of QAnon. A woman walks up to you in an agitated state, and started telling you about a Jewish Cabal that fired lasers from outer space to start forest fires in California so they could make room for a high speed railroad line. What would you think?

But my first response would not be to elect her to the House of Representatives and have her sit on the Education Committee.
Her district is like the entire State of Utah. Whoever wins the Republican Primary becomes whatever office they are running for, no matter how venal, unethical, or unbalanced they might be.

Did Subgenius or Ajax run with that theory six years ago?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Never really trusted Bert. I can't wait for Ernie's tell-all bombshells.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:22 am
Never really trusted Bert. I can't wait for Ernie's tell-all bombshells.
To which Bert and Ernie are we referring?

We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:42 pm
keep these memes coming, I'm saving the best ones for ammo to send to my right-wing friend when he slips and can't help but send me his right-wing emails or political memes, even after he agreed he wouldn't do it anymore.