Voter Fraud

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Some Schmo
God

Voter Fraud

Post by Some Schmo »

You know, there is a small upside to Trump whining like the little bitch he is about non-existent voter fraud. The GOP has been saying this is a thing for years, but Trump took it to it's logical (well, using right wing logic) conclusion: OMG, it's so widespread they made it look like I lost!

Now "sane" Republicans are left with two options. They can either sign on to the crazy (Lindsay Graham) or call the election valid and abandon this voter fraud crap. Of course, there's the third option, which most of them are taking, which is to cowardly hide in a closet until someone signals them that Trump isn't hiding under their bed anymore, ready to jump out and attack them with a vicious tweet they'll never survive.

I got a campaign mailer from a Republican just before the election, and I have to say, it made me literally laugh out loud. Like I would ever vote for a Republican again... not without a massive party overhaul.

Anyway, GOP pundits have been nibbling at the edges of these kinds of idiotic conspiracy theories for years, but never quite came out with full-throated conviction about them. Their strategy has always been to cast a shadow of doubt about things. Confuse. Misdirect. Obfuscate. Like that.

Then Trump comes along and makes all of the whispers explicit. Trump doesn't know subtlety. He's a wild boar running loose in the convention center. His party is left signing on to the crazy (riding the pig) or disowning it.

Might be a good thing there, making the party decide.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Voter Fraud

Post by Res Ipsa »

It's interesting that none of the cases have been able to show any voter fraud. The Trump campaign is trying to turn Trump v. Boockvar case into an "election fraud" case as opposed to a voter fraud case. That's a better fit for conspiracy theorists than voter fraud anyway.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:13 pm
It's interesting that none of the cases have been able to show any voter fraud.
Are you really surprised by this? Trump's been telegraphing this strategy for 5 years. Cunning, he is not.

ETA: I guess what I do find interesting is that he was able to enlist as many lawyers as he did to attempt these baseless claims in court.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:19 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:13 pm
It's interesting that none of the cases have been able to show any voter fraud.
Are you really surprised by this? Trump's been telegraphing this strategy for 5 years. Cunning, he is not.

ETA: I guess what I do find interesting is that he was able to enlist as many lawyers as he did to attempt these baseless claims in court.
I guess I expected at least some serious effort. But then, again, it is Trump.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:26 pm
I guess I expected at least some serious effort. But then, again, it is Trump.
But this would be an effort to construct a case out of whole cloth. Essentially, the basis of their claim is, "It's unbelievable Trump would lose." Seems to me they are starting with that conclusion and looking for supporting evidence, of which there is none because... well, just how outrageous is the belief in the first place?

Frankly, if there's a problem with the election, it's that Trump got as many votes as reported. That's the only thing I find dubious... not that I'd take it to court.

I assume you "expected at least some serious effort" as an extension of professional courtesy to your fellow lawyers. I don't blame you. I keep telling myself Trump supporters must have what they think is a valid reason for their support. Nobody wants to be this cynical about their peers.

Fence Sitter
2nd Counselor

Post by Fence Sitter »

Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:42 pm

Frankly, if there's a problem with the election, it's that Trump got as many votes as reported. That's the only thing I find dubious... not that I'd take it to court.

This.

My response to those who tell me there was voter fraud is that we have exactly the same amount of actual evidence of voter fraud that favored Trump as we do for fraud the counted against him.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

I am surprised that economic nationalism wasn't ultimately a winning position in a democratic election. Part of me wants to say we could have dug a little deeper into our pockets for the cause. Covid proved to be a winning issue for Democrats in that it helped bring cheat by mail to fruition which would never have been possible without the Covid crisis. Financially it helped cut off at the knees working people who gave money and their votes to the America first agenda in 2016. Now that the deep state once again can wield the power of the IRS against conservatives the thought of raising a campaign to take on the George Soros and Michael Bloombergs of the world seems to bleak for many of us in flyover country to donate to the dubious cause of herding cats. The fact that John Durham has yet to bring a case against those who railroaded General Flynn and they're all basically going to get away with it will embolden the cutthroat politicians from the Chicago political machine.

All I can say is I hope it's a slow decline from what was a record high for the DOW. I don't see economic nationalism or an America First agenda ever having the funds to threaten the deep state again. DJT was special in being able to take on the deep state and fight for working American people with with his enormous wealth. We've become too fond of peace to ever hope to regain freedom and prosperity., at least for common working class people.

Who are these working class people? They've been put on unpaid leave for a positive Covid diagnosis when they had no symptoms. They've had their neighbors call the police on them for suspicion that they might have had their parents over for Thanksgiving. They watched BLM riot and thoroughly seed Covid in America's cities while being told they should accept an eternal lockdown and unemployment to live on a $600 stimulus check because we need to kill Covid as they did in Australia. No more flattening the curve, we have to stay unemployed until we eradicate it, which we all know is impossible now that it is deeply seeded! They watch Nancy Pelosi get her hair done at the beauty salon her policies closed down for the rest of us or Gavin Newsome enjoy lavish and crowded maskless dinners at Hollywoods most expensive restaurants.

Yeah, there were 79 million Trump voters and then some, not even counting the 7,000 Trump votes that it took a full recount in Georgia and a hell of a lot of money in court to bring to light. Sadly it doesn't look like we'll expose enough to win this election or bring to justice enough of these ACORN wannabes to significantly discourage it in the next election. The elections are rigged through the bias of the mainstream media alone. They're rigged in other ways that we just don't have the money to expose. I don't really see that ever changing.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
subgenius
Stake President

Post by subgenius »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:34 pm
Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:42 pm

This.

My response to those who tell me there was voter fraud is that we have exactly the same amount of actual evidence of voter fraud that favored Trump as we do for fraud the counted against him.
Huh?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Yep. That’s when absentee ballots began to be counted.

I remember someone pointing that out a few weeks ago in a Twitter feed, whereas he was promptly spanked for ignoring the obvious. Same graph.
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Look at the political leanings of who made the voting machines.

Did Joe Biden really enthuse the left to turn out that much more than Barack Obama? He had a lot of help. Under a free and fair election economic nationalism is still a winning platform.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.