Thanks to MDB Friends Past and Present

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Thanks to MDB Friends Past and Present

Post by Kishkumen »

The Kishkumen family is enjoying a relaxing Thanksgiving holiday. We tidied up a bit so that we could relax in a more peaceful environment. We ordered a brisket dinner from our favorite restaurant, accompanied by homemade dishes Mrs. Kishkumen and I cooked together. We gorged ourselves on savory foods, and now we are enjoying the blissful postprandial haze of our lazy southern afternoon.

What a year it has been, mis amigos. I would have to put it down as one of the worst of my lifetime. And yet, has it not also been a year in which we have been pleasantly surprised by our own collective resilience in the face of grave challenges? COVID-19 has been very trying here in the United States of American. Bye, bye paper empire. Good riddance, knock on wood. So many lives lost, so many terrifying revelations. The apocalyptic QAnon cult was of much greater moment than things LDS, but why not talk about familiar friends and foes, if only for comfort's sake?

Through it all, I have been heartened by the hard work, endurance, and grace of good friends and solid citizens. Those who went to the effort to keep MDB alive I thank heartily. Those who have gone to effort to preserve that legacy and the legacy of people like our departed friend grindael. You guys are inspiring. I wish it were possible to overcome more barriers between ourselves and others, but I am grateful for those who are sufficiently tolerant, sympathetic, or of like mind to think of us as friends, or even to wish us well on occasion.

This community has been important to me. I am thankful for everyone who has made it possible and has participated in it. May it see many more years of camaraderie, conversation, and commiseration. This place, this community is really is something to be grateful for.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
canpakes
God

Re: Thanks to MDB Friends Past and Present

Post by canpakes »

Kish -

It sounds like it has been a trying year, but one that is ending on a better note as you enter the holidays. May peace and health be with you and your family through Christmas, and beyond.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

I have to admit to myself this place is more important to me than I've generally given it credit. I'm not sure what it is about this community, but it's the only one I've kept posting at over the years. That says something to me.

Happy holidays, Kish.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

Thanksgiving in the South. It was a beautiful day today. For us, this Thanksgiving was a bit different in that one of our daughters has moved out of state, and the other one is out of the country. My mother, husband, our son, and I spent Thanksgiving together. I can’t think of anything I would have rather done than spend time with family. Thankfully we have technology, where contacting someone thousands of miles away is as easy as pushing a few buttons.
We all have so much to be thankful for. I too am grateful for those who participate here, and for all who make that possible. As I think back to the events that led me here, I’m so humbled by the journey that led me here, and the people I’ve gotten to know. I once said to myself, “I don’t want to learn what the LDS church teaches.” Who would have thought I’d find community with persons in whom I have little in common, or maybe, better yet, maybe I have a lot in common with those in this online community.
Happy Thanksgiving mis amigos y compadres,
Msnobody
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Kishkumen wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:05 pm
This community has been important to me. I am thankful for everyone who has made it possible and has participated in it. May it see many more years of camaraderie, conversation, and commiseration. This place, this community is really is something to be grateful for.
And to me as well, and you are one of the biggest reasons for that. Thank you very much for that, and for helping me to become much better informed than I would otherwise have been.

I am also thankful for the technology that enabled me to see and speak to my extended family safely, via Zoom, during this pandemic on this Thanksgiving holiday.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

canpakes wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:52 am
Kish -

It sounds like it has been a trying year, but one that is ending on a better note as you enter the holidays. May peace and health be with you and your family through Christmas, and beyond.
Thank you, canpakes. The Kishkumen family has been very fortunate throughout. Compared with so many others, we have much to be thankful for and little to complain about. My lamenting mostly has to do with what we have observed in the world around us. I hope that you and yours may enjoy peace and health!
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Some Schmo wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:13 am
I have to admit to myself this place is more important to me than I've generally given it credit. I'm not sure what it is about this community, but it's the only one I've kept posting at over the years. That says something to me.

Happy holidays, Kish.
Happy holidays to you and yours, Some Schmo! I am glad we are all here together. Through agreements and arguments, the MDB community has stuck together!
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

msnobody wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:25 am
Thanksgiving in the South. It was a beautiful day today. For us, this Thanksgiving was a bit different in that one of our daughters has moved out of state, and the other one is out of the country. My mother, husband, our son, and I spent Thanksgiving together. I can’t think of anything I would have rather done than spend time with family. Thankfully we have technology, where contacting someone thousands of miles away is as easy as pushing a few buttons.
We all have so much to be thankful for. I too am grateful for those who participate here, and for all who make that possible. As I think back to the events that led me here, I’m so humbled by the journey that led me here, and the people I’ve gotten to know. I once said to myself, “I don’t want to learn what the LDS church teaches.” Who would have thought I’d find community with persons in whom I have little in common, or maybe, better yet, maybe I have a lot in common with those in this online community.
Happy Thanksgiving mis amigos y compadres,
Msnobody
I hope you have had a Happy Thanksgiving and will have a Merry Christmas! I am so happy that you were able to enjoy time with your family. Thanks for being a part of our MDB family too!
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Gunnar wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:07 am
And to me as well, and you are one of the biggest reasons for that. Thank you very much for that, and for helping me to become much better informed than I would otherwise have been.

I am also thankful for the technology that enabled me to see and speak to my extended family safely, via Zoom, during this pandemic on this Thanksgiving holiday.
Thank you for the kind words, Gunnar! I hope you and yours enjoyed a Happy Thanksgiving together!
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

I hope your holiday was pleasant and filled with good company, limited to immediate family or otherwise, Kish.