Way Off-Topic: Question for RPGamers

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Way Off-Topic: Question for RPGamers

Post by Res Ipsa »

honorentheos wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:30 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:15 pm
Bonus points for the Tiger reference!

My current party is a little weird. The original intent was to do a few short one offs to give the DM a chance to try out a bunch of ideas he had. So we just picked races/classes that we thought would be fun to play. The DM picked the opening segment of Strahd to start out with.

There are only three players. I’m a Reborn Bard. The other two are a Gnome wizard and a Hexblood Monk. All three of us are new at our respective classes. And none of us are min-maxers.

Even at level 8, The Roc was a challenge. We certainly don’t feel invincible yet! And we’re heading for the castle. Gulp.

Featherfall is one of those specialized spells that I’ve found really useful. Fall damage usually comes at very inconvenient times. And it allows for escape from bad situations.
That sounds like a fun premise for a group. I like the characters, too. Gnome wizard is a fun build and the two subclasses from Van Richten's sound like a promising mix though I haven't played or had anyone play either in a game.

I would imagine three lvl 8 PCs going up against a Roc requires some planning in order to beat it, no? Presumably your PC had become grappled and restrained after a successful talon attack (DC 19 to escape? Yikes) so the party must have had it pretty low on hp if they defeated it before it could take off on it's next turn. So it was not a given the party was going to stop it and the feather fall casting was likely then? Did someone get a timely crit?
You’re good, my friend.

The party was on a bridge with towers at the ends. There were guard stations in the base of each tower. We were traveling in a wagon with an NPC who was a good range fighter.

The bridge had damage in a couple locations. My stealth is good, so I snuck over the bridge to scout. All clear. As I turned, the roc attacked from the sky, missing on its surprise round. I cast something that prevented it from attacking one round. Tasha’s hideous laughter, maybe. On the next round, as the party scuttled across the bridge, I hit the roof with my best attack spell, Raulothim’s psychic lance. The I ducked into the closest guard house, protected by the bridge tower.

Or not. The roc landed, tried a break attack, but hit stone. Then it tried with talons, and was able to grab me. I couldn’t get away, so was immobilized for the balance of the fight. But, the roc couldn’t attack with its talons, which helped the party.

And you are on the nose, as the roc was beginning to fly away, the monk scored a fatal crit.

Damn, those birds have enormous drumsticks!
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:01 pm
honorentheos wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:30 pm
I would imagine three lvl 8 PCs going up against a Roc requires some planning in order to beat it, no? Presumably your PC had become grappled and restrained after a successful talon attack (DC 19 to escape? Yikes) so the party must have had it pretty low on hp if they defeated it before it could take off on it's next turn. So it was not a given the party was going to stop it and the feather fall casting was likely then? Did someone get a timely crit?
You’re good, my friend.
Ain't he, though? Holmesian, that was.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:16 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:01 pm

You’re good, my friend.
Ain't he, though? Holmesian, that was.
You're both way too kind. If I was actually good, I wouldn't have misidentified Hexbloods and Reborn as subclasses. And you know why I probably made that mistake? I was too caught up in trying to remember how to spell Van Richten to really think about what they were. :oops:

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Anyone here ever used a party backstory creation tool before and, if so, which one?

Since our work game has progressed from casual one shot to a campaign I want to spend a little.time with the group fleshing out their backstories enough to give them a little more depth. And, frankly, to give me more to work with in embedding them into the world. I've picked up a Session Zero kit that uses face cards to generate random prompts the players answer to help make their characters feel more loved in and real. But I've never used anything like it before as my normal games where I plan for a campaign include weeks of backstory creation as part of the character creation process. I actually don't nail down details about the campaign until I have some backstory to weave into it. And when I was younger we just didn't really care. This is new territory for me.
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

honorentheos wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:15 pm
Anyone here ever used a party backstory creation tool before and, if so, which one?

Since our work game has progressed from casual one shot to a campaign I want to spend a little.time with the group fleshing out their backstories enough to give them a little more depth. And, frankly, to give me more to work with in embedding them into the world. I've picked up a Session Zero kit that uses face cards to generate random prompts the players answer to help make their characters feel more loved in and real. But I've never used anything like it before as my normal games where I plan for a campaign include weeks of backstory creation as part of the character creation process. I actually don't nail down details about the campaign until I have some backstory to weave into it. And when I was younger we just didn't really care. This is new territory for me.
I have not, but it sounds like an interesting idea. I will do some Googling.

In AD&D and 2E we used to roll for starting wealth (which included a small chance of scoring an inherited magic item) and that was usually the extent of it. Sometimes we didn't even name our characters until they'd survived for a session or two, and even then it was sometimes just the former character's name with a II, III, or IV after it.

Many characters we played were rolled mid-session after a character death, and in those cases background information was necessarily minimal because it was taking up game time. Come to think of it, character attrition may have been a reason why our parties were so fighter-heavy: you could roll up a fighter in less than 10 minutes and get back into the action.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:29 pm
honorentheos wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:15 pm

I have not, but it sounds like an interesting idea. I will do some Googling.

In AD&D and 2E we used to roll for starting wealth (which included a small chance of scoring an inherited magic item) and that was usually the extent of it. Sometimes we didn't even name our characters until they'd survived for a session or two, and even then it was sometimes just the former character's name with a II, III, or IV after it.

Many characters we played were rolled mid-session after a character death, and in those cases background information was necessarily minimal because it was taking up game time. Come to think of it, character attrition may have been a reason why our parties were so fighter-heavy: you could roll up a fighter in less than 10 minutes and get back into the action.
Thanks, Bret. I'm interested in what you find. I ended up buying a $10 download that ties prompts to face cards and plan on using it at the start of the session we have tomorrow night. But I ended up turning it into a Tarokka deck format to fit the D&D style so it's four suites (Swords, Coins, Glyphs, and Stars) plus the high deck I'm calling "Fate". The deck is supposed to be seperated out into each suite and the player draws a card from each deck to get their prompts. Since I had to pay for it I can't share it directly but here is a taste from the "Stars" deck which represents Happiness:

Stars - Happiness

The Wizard : There was someone with whom you shared your heart.
Describe your first love: Did they feel the same way? What about them did you love most?

1 – The Transmuter: Birthdays are a cause of great celebration.
Describe your most memorable birthday. What birthday was it? What made it so memorable?

2 – The Diviner: You carry a lucky charm with you everywhere you go.
What is it? How did it come into your possession? Why do you consider it lucky?

3 – The Enchanter: A certain sound always makes you smile.
What sound is it? How did it come to be of comfort to you? Is it something you still hear now that you have begun to travel?

4 – The Abjurer: Not all failures are ruinous.
What failure did you learn something from? How did failing make you stronger? Do you remember it with fondness or embarrassment?

5 – The Elementalist: You had a stalwart companion growing up.
Describe your childhood pet. How did they come to be your companion? Are they still your pet?

6 – The Invoker: There was a birth you remember with great happiness.
Who’s birth was exceptionally meaningful to you? What do you remember most about them being born? Why were they so important to you?

7 – The Illusionist: Your hometown was famous for a great festival.
What was the festival celebrating? What kind of festivities were there? How did this shape you growing up?

8 – The Necromancer: Before you were an adventurer, you had other pastimes.
What was your favorite hobby? Were you always good at it? Do you still practice it now that you are an adventurer?

9 – The Conjurer: Everyone has their tales of triumph.
What story from your pre adventuring days are you most proud of? Why? Do you still tell it?

I'll let you know how it goes and what thoughts I have after having tried it out. Wish me luck!

Oh, and everything you said about your older games is very much true for the games I played in AD&D and Basic/Expert back in the day. We did give them names from the start but it was so we could eulogize them when they met their inevitable early deaths in some funny or stupid way. We almost always had a few back-up characters ready who would end up being prisoners or wanderers the party just happened to run into after a PC died. Explaining their appearance was probably the most work any of us put into backstory back then.
Bret Ripley
2nd Counselor

Post by Bret Ripley »

I did some looking but didn't find anything that really jumped out at me. I got a bit lost in the weeds with some that were made up of lists of questions that gave me a kinda-sorta "Myers-Briggs lite" vibe, or were made up questions that may be a bit too touchy-feely for some players (e.g. "what was your character's favorite birthday, and why?"). I did find some background auto-generators (including one that uses GPT-3) that could be useful for fleshing out NPCs, or maybe serve as inspiration for a player while working on a background.
honorentheos wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:29 am
I'll let you know how it goes and what thoughts I have after having tried it out. Wish me luck!
I'd love to hear how it went!
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Bret Ripley wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:10 pm
I did some looking but didn't find anything that really jumped out at me. I got a bit lost in the weeds with some that were made up of lists of questions that gave me a kinda-sorta "Myers-Briggs lite" vibe, or were made up questions that may be a bit too touchy-feely for some players (e.g. "what was your character's favorite birthday, and why?"). I did find some background auto-generators (including one that uses GPT-3) that could be useful for fleshing out NPCs, or maybe serve as inspiration for a player while working on a background.
honorentheos wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:29 am
I'd love to hear how it went!
Hi Bret -

We ran though the background generation card selection before starting our next session which was well received. But due to time constraints I suggested they work on it outside of the session and we talk about what they come up with before the next session.

I think everyone found it exciting and it was interesting to see the past session play influencing some of the early development they discussed at the table. For example, during the previous session the PCs started out having been partially buried alive by the villagers who thought they were dead when they had been psychically sent into clone bodies in Bluetspur leaving their normal bodies behind in repose. They had came to during their burials and, in escaping their graves, they had scared off the villagers who assumed they were undead come back to attack them. They were approached by the captain of the town guard, Mane, who was returning with only two other guards after having been ambushed by kobolds while investigating the missing sheep briefly mentioned earlier to the party. The party asked Mane to vouch for them and they headed back to the village where they were met by Ferin and the other Grinning Sinners who had been promised a reward from the villagers if they took care of the zombie problem. Ferin affirmed he knew they weren't zombies as he had plenty of experience with the real thing but was thinking the reward for killing the zombies may be worth turning on the party. Unless, he suggested, they decided to all team up, kill the captain of the guard, and raid the village so they could take all the loot including the reward. Mane wasn't stupid and overheard Ferin discussing this, issuing an ultimatum demanding to know if the party aligned with the Sinners and against the town?

Most of the party were debating what to do at the early stage of these events until the Oathbeaker Fallen Aasimar decided he was going to take charge and began trying to work both sides by telling Mane one thing, then Ferin another, while the majority of the party only picked up it sounding like he was turning on Mane and the towns people. So the party started planning on dealing with him turning in them until the elven artificer suggested they give him a chance to explain himself, then giving him Guidance on a persuasion check.

Both the Aasimar and the Elven Artificer pulled a card saying their hometown was renowned for it's festival and the prompts asked for details about the celebration, why it was meaningful to them, etc.

I told everyone they had license to name towns and cities as needed, add details that they felt made sense to the backstory, and I'd work with it. These two decided that the incident with her having asked the others give him a chance when the party was thinking he had turned on them and needed dealt with came from their having grown up in the same town/city, and the celebration was something meaningful to both of them. It was just a start at that point, but it was useful to have a seed of an idea combined with recent events come together into something I think I can use once they flesh it out more.

So I don't have a final review to offer but so far it seems like it worked out ok.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

On topic but a divergence from playing, my wife and I went to watch the D&D movie last night. I enjoyed it. It was entertaining, almost certainly more enjoyable if you know the game, but my wife who does not play said she enjoyed it, too. I don't think it would win any awards or anything but I had fun so I'd give it a 3.5/5. The inside baseball jokes added to the general comedy though I think some of the best jokes required some knowledge of the modern game. Recommend.