A pre-election game

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: A pre-election game

Post by Res Ipsa »

Moksha wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:55 pm
Here is an interesting article called The Oligarch Threat. https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2019/08/ ... h-threat/
That was interesting. Thanks for posting it.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
subgenius
Stake President

Post by subgenius »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:34 am
Here’s a funny and on-point Redditor reply to the Hunter Biden BS ...
When the flavor of Maddow is again fresh in your mouth, please let us know your thoughts on, if nothing-sandwich, why Hunter kept receiving money ? What value was he bringing? or was he just the lucky benefactor of people who enjoyed not receiving a return on their investment again and again....?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

'jenius opens wide and O c----

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Speaking of pre-election games we've now moved into terrorist territory:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/biden-cam ... mpaign-bus

TL;Too Stupid to Click on a Link and Watch videos and Read a Small Story - Armed Trump cultists harass and delay a Biden bus and mess with staffers.

You can start clicking on video evidences posted on Twitter and by news affiliates that picked up the story.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Brack wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:13 pm

As for the Senate, I believe that Sara Gideon will defeat Senator Collins. . .
Well, she didn't. Do you think Susan Collins might have lost to Gideon, had she voted to confirm Barrett for the Supreme Court?
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Xenophon
God

Post by Xenophon »

Gunnar wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:06 pm
Brack wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:13 pm

As for the Senate, I believe that Sara Gideon will defeat Senator Collins. . .
Well, she didn't. Do you think Susan Collins might have lost to Gideon, had she voted to confirm Barrett for the Supreme Court?
Possible but it is hard to say. Despite never really standing up to Trump at a time where it makes a difference she seems to get to keep her moderate Republican label and the people of Maine still seem to want her ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Just looking at high level vote totals there is an ~86k vote gap between what Biden secured in Maine vs Gideon. I didn't follow the race that closely but it seems Gideon ultimately didn't do a great job appealing to that portion of the population that is moderate enough to favor Biden over Trump but maybe not Biden over another Republican.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Brack
Deacon

Post by Brack »

Gunnar wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:06 pm

I don't really know. Collins not voting to confirm Barrett could have helped her to defeat Gideon.
Xenophon
God

Post by Xenophon »

Although there is still a little counting to be done and perhaps some dubious legal actions to be debated, I figured I'd go ahead and take a run at my map.

All in all I think the models presented by those at 538 and elsewhere were, in the end, really quite spot on. Results of just north of 300 for Biden fits very neatly into most distributions I've seen, so even though pollsters may still need to take a good hard look at their methods the forecasters seem to have figured them out (for now anyway).

Now for mine. First a mea culpa if you will, Gunnar you tried to point it out to me and I misunderstood your question, it seems I inverted my Maine pick when building my map, oops, that was not what I actually thought was going to happen but too late to fix now. Other than that my only miss was predicting North Carolina to go to Biden instead of Georgia. I based a lot of my NC pick off not just the tight polling but also time I spent there this year. The SO and I got to hide away in the Blue Ridge Mountains for a couple of weeks this summer and I was amazed at the lack of Trump signs/support I saw there compared to 2016. All in all both races were predicted to be nail bitters and they did not disappoint.

Although I didn't put it in the OP I did have hope that Collins would lose Maine and that didn't happen so I guess we can add that to my miss column as well.
Xenophon wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:09 pm
BEHOLD!
A link to my map
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

. oops wrong thread
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18