Builders Forum

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Builders Forum

Post by dantana »

This is mostly intended to be a public service mssg. - mostly. I've been building spec (speculation) houses for the last couple of decades now. On average about one a year. The last three have been the same plan, on small acreages I've been fortunate to find. I kept pretty good track of hours and costs on this last one. Here's some numbers.

The house is 1750 sq ft, single story, attached garage.

Permits: the permits for this house in city limits, Eugene/Springfield would be about $24k. My county permit was about $7500.

Excavation: Ex. Subcontractors get around $150-$200 per hr. x approx 10 hrs for cut out and backfill = $2000. - fuel costs; $200. Subs profit $180 hr.

Foundation: I do my own, but concrete subs charge around $35-$40 per lin.ft. (labor and mtl.) x approx 220 lin. ft. perimeter of house = $8800. Material costs; 18 yds, re-bar, etc., approx $3000. $8800 - $3000 = $5800. I had 25 man hours (mhs) in the last foundation. $5800/25 hrs = $232 per hr.

Framing: I spent the 1990's as a framing sub. Back then the going rate was $2 - $5 per sq ft. These days it's closer to $8 - $15. 1750 sq ft x $10 = $17,500. I had approx 130 mhs. $17,500/130 = $134. per hr.

Framing lumber, approx. $18,000. Trusses approx. $7,500.

Windows: Milgard Styleline vinyl. Mtl cost approx $3700.

Siding: We used to get about $2 per sq ft. Now, don't know. But I did recently sub out my MIL's older home with detached garage. Approx 2000 sq ft of siding area. She had gotten other bids of 25k - 30k. My sub did it for $13,500. Mtl. cost approx. $3500. $13.,500 - $3500 = $10,000. I est. he had approx. 60 mhs. $10,000/60 = $166 per hr.

Roofing: This is an area that can be all over the board. Especially with re-roofing contractors. I am talking now, new const. only. My roofing sub works for approx $50 per square. (10'x10') Labor only. If one can't find a sub to do it for close to that, you're not trying hard enough. Mtl. cost, approx. $100 per sq. x 35 sq. =$3500. Labor, approx. 25 mhs. 35 sq. x $50 per sq. = $1750. $1750/25 = $70 per hr.

Plumbing: I have a plumbing sub that works 'cost plus' for rough in only. Most plumbing subs won't do rough in only, but will only bid rough in + fixture set. Rough in only isn't necessarily legal, building code wise, but also isn't necessarily policed by the building inspectors. (I have yet to find a sub that can set a sink or toilet without scratching it or gooping caulk all over everthing) A standard Plumber sub bid for rough in + fix. set will run about $15k. My last house cost, rough in, labor and mtl. was $6500. Mtl. cost, approx. $1500. $6500 - $1500 = $5000. I est. he had 24 mhs. $5000/24 = $208 per hr.

Electrical: This is one area that cannot be gamed. This one is policed by the building dept. The going rate for rough in + fix set is about $6.50 per sq ft. 1750 x $6.50 = $11,375. (this includes wire, etc., but not light fixtures) My guess at mtl. cost is $2375. $11,375 - $1375 = $10000. I est. labor hrs at 70 mhs. $10000/70 = $142 per hr.

Heating: Forced air electric with outdoor heating/cooling unit. These guys bids are generally fairly competitive. This last house went for $13,500.

Insulation: Competitively priced contractors will do this, labor and mtl. for less that you can buy the mtl for at HD. Last house went for $6800.

Drywall: Labor and mtl., hang, tape and texture, the going rate is around $1.25 per sq. ft. of board area. 7000 sq. ft. x $1.25 = $8750. This sub is usually a 'pickup truck' contractor, who isn't hands on, who instead has a hired crew, so I won't est. his profit per hr rate, Same for insulation and heating. I est the mtl cost for drywall and mud at approx $3000.

Painting: Exterior; labor and mtl competitive sub bid; $4000. Definitely do your own when possible. Mtl. cost; 25 gal @ $35 = $875. $4000 - $875 = $3125. My time on the last job - mask, spray, hand paint trim; 16mhs. $3125/16 = $195 per hr. Interior; This is easier as the masking is already done by the drywallers. Sub bid; $3000. Mtl. cost; 20 gal primer @ $18 = $360, 20 gal @ $35 = $700. $700 + $360 = $1060. $3000 - $1060 = $1940. Est. hrs. - 10 mhs. Profit - $194 per hr.

I won't est. the profit per hr rate on this next items as I've never sub'ed them out.

Interior/exterior doors and trim package est cost; 20 int. doors @ $200 = $4000. 2 ext. doors @ $500 = $1000. MDF trim, $1000. Est install time; 60 mhs.

Interior door and trim painting: Mtl. cost; 8 gal @ $35. Est hrs; Forever. But, masking and spraying def gives the best overall look.

Cabinets: Kitchen and bath. $12,000. Install time; 16 mhs.

Flooring: Vinyl plank. 1750 sq. ft. @ $3.50 = $6125. Install time; 24 mhs.

Plumbing fixtures; sinks, wc's disposal, etc. $2500. 10 mhs.

Light fixtures: $2500. Elec. contractor install.

Drives and walks: My sub does this for $1.25 per sq. ft. Place and finish. (I set up the forms.) Approx 1000 sq. ft. @ $1.25 = $1,250. 6 guys for 1hr to place, then 2 guys for 4 hrs to finish - twice = 28 mhs. Pickup contractor profit; Depends on what he pays his guys. Est. average pay rate of $ 20. per hr. 28 hrs x $20 = $560. $1,250 - $560 = $690.

Remember how I started this post with the term "mostly"- Sorry bout this KG.

Realtors: Sale price - $500,000 x 5% commission = $25,000. Est. labor; 1 mhs. $25,000 per hr.

https://photos.zillowstatic.com/fp/3384 ... _1152.webp

https://photos.zillowstatic.com/fp/dc7 ... 152.webp
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
canpakes
God

Re: Builders Forum

Post by canpakes »

Thanks, Dantana. This is interesting because I’m not well educated on how all this comes together but my SO and I imagine that we might consider doing our own someday, not sooner than 10 - 15 years down the road, if conditions allow.

Do you also have initial architect costs?

Are you building on very level land? Asking as I’m wondering how dramatically excavation and backfill costs can vary once some slope becomes a consideration.

As for slope, have you needed to make use of retaining walls as part of your last few projects? How are costs for engineering and stamping?

I’d also assume that dump costs should be considered, but do most trades include for that in their bid and haul away their own, or expect you to have a general use dumpster on site for their own use?

Who does sewer/water hookup to the city/county mains?

Apologies as I haven’t looked up this information yet; I could likely get answers with a little web work - but since you started the thread, I figure that it’s good to hear from an experienced builder. If you have a favorite online source that details the process, I’ll gladly take a link.

And, Merry Christmas!
dantana
2nd Counselor

Post by dantana »

Merry hollidays CP. I will get a man on this today.
dantana
2nd Counselor

Post by dantana »

canpakes wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:53 pm
Thanks, Dantana. This is interesting because I’m not well educated on how all this comes together but my SO and I imagine that we might consider doing our own someday, not sooner than 10 - 15 years down the road, if conditions allow.

Do you also have initial architect costs?

Are you building on very level land? Asking as I’m wondering how dramatically excavation and backfill costs can vary once some slope becomes a consideration.

As for slope, have you needed to make use of retaining walls as part of your last few projects? How are costs for engineering and stamping?

I’d also assume that dump costs should be considered, but do most trades include for that in their bid and haul away their own, or expect you to have a general use dumpster on site for their own use?

Who does sewer/water hookup to the city/county mains?

Apologies as I haven’t looked up this information yet; I could likely get answers with a little web work - but since you started the thread, I figure that it’s good to hear from an experienced builder. If you have a favorite online source that details the process, I’ll gladly take a link.

And, Merry Christmas!
I built this house on snob hill in Springfield in 2018. The lot was cheap, because it was a hillside. I was able to make a flat spot though with only one 2' step in the foundation. The removed material pushed out and compacted to create the drive way up. Excavation cost me about $15k

I would say the foundation contractor would charge another $1000 for the stepped foundation. Also this type of lot requires a soil engineer report. It wasn't much, I think maybe $500.

The retaining wall on this is inexpensive material wise but a bit labor intensive. Also it's only retaining approx 18" high.

I draw my own plans, which is actually pretty simple. I then take them to a structural engineer for the required calcs and stamps. The engineering on the OP house was about $800.

City of Spf. sewer hookup was $3k. The OP house came with an existing septic. I upgraded the pump chamber and controls. $2700. Two houses ago the septic new from scratch was $19k... because of poor soil drainage. One should be able to do a standard septic for $8 - $10k

Drywallers are the only ones to haul off their own debris. I have a dump trailer that stays on site for the duration. Also a 4x8 size small trailer for cardboard and another for wood scraps. The small trailers dump free and the big one usually dumps about a ton. $80

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/620 ... 7_zpid/?

Also.-https://www.theplancollection.com/modifications
dantana
2nd Counselor

Post by dantana »

OP house.

Appliances: Range, range hood, my wife. - $1750

Gutters: Approx. $5 per lin. ft. labor and mtl. - $850

Granite counters: 16' of 2' wide kitchen base tops. 4' x 8' island. 2' x 7' bath vanity top. - Approx $3500
Countertop suppliers are all over the board. We found a supplier who is consistently about $1000 + under everyone else. This stuff is certainly coming straight from China?, but is also absolutely acceptable. 'Jacks' English is sometimes a challenge, and this will do you no good unless you live within 100 m. of Eugene, but maybe he has a cousin in your town.

http://www.jygraniteandcabinet.com/
dantana
2nd Counselor

Post by dantana »

Financing: I basically lost (zero profit) a house during the 08 bubble bust. Next house after that was 2012. For this house I had only about $50k cash, but decent credit. I bought a lot in town for $5000 down with a 12 mo. balloon pymt., owner carry. This is a very common thing to do when buying bare land, as banks don't like to loan on bare land, so owners are often willing to carry short term.

Now, this only works if one does most of the work themselves. You need the cash for the building permit, and some of the subs. (Labor only) as the mtl. can be put on credit. For instance, Home D. offers a project loan. We had the framing lmbr, plumbing mtl, roofing, siding, drywall, cabinets, lights, plumbing fixtures, etc on that loan. The trusses were on some other credit offer that had come in the mail.

If one gets their house to a certain stage and runs out of money, then you go to the collateral loan. Also known as 'hard money.' These guys are just looking for collateral. You're going to need your house to be about %90 complete though.

Contractors license: You're going to need one, or a friend with one, if you want to sell your house within/before a year (depending on jurisdiction) of getting your final. An owner/builder (without a license) can do every aspect of construction legally if it remains in your name for the proper amount of time after final. (occupancy cert.)

In Washington state a contractors license just takes money. Prob. about 2k. In Oregon it's more difficult. Online classes and in person testing.

The housing market is projected to remain strong. Inventory is projected to remain deflated. Building is fun. My wife loves the design.

Go for it.
dantana
2nd Counselor

Post by dantana »

And just a little more. I laid out options to avoid having to go conventional financing, because banks do not make construction loans to un-licensed owner/builders. One must have an established gen. contractor signed up to go the way of new construction loan. So, there goes ones profit, into the builders pocket.

Another option is to go with one of the large, mass market, entry level builders. We have three in the Pacific Northwest. Hayden homes, Hiline homes, Adair homes. I'd guess small shop custom builders to be about $50k + over these guys
https://www.hilinehomes.com/floorplans/
Example: Decent lots are going for about $150k now. Add plan#1164 @ $155k. Add about $20k for misc. = $325k

Here is a comp. - I built this house about 18 mths ago, and sold it for $325. Now look at her. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3821 ... 5250_zpid/ I'm not sure she will get this asking price, but I'm guessing she will get close.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

This is so cool. It gives you a great reality check on the extensive coordination and costs required to get a home built. I couldn’t imagine trying to be the person pulling this all together.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:30 pm
This is so cool. It gives you a great reality check on the extensive coordination and costs required to get a home built.
Yeah, I've got to second this. I've been considering building a house, so I appreciate the great information.

I suspect there's some regional variance in the prices, but the breakdown is what's great here. Thanks for this, dantana.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

dantana unless I missed it, I don't see a total cost per sq ft for the 1750 sq ft home. What's a typical stick home going for these days per sq ft?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!