Dr. Shades's spelling and/or grammar lesson of the day

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Dr. Shades's spelling and/or grammar lesson of the day

Post by Dr. Shades »

Dear participants:

Please have a look at the following sentence:
Choice of location...I'm going to wait for more information...Because, it might of been a retired Texas sheriff who finally located where all the secret missing ballets are
ITEM #1:
  • MIGHT OF: Extreme strength belonging to someone, e.g. the might of Hercules.
  • MIGHT'VE: A contraction of "might have." Pronounced almost exactly the same as the above, but the meaning is entirely different.
ITEM #2:
  • BALLET: A delicate form of dance requiring precise movements, often accompanied by an orchestra and performed as part of a story. The final "T" is silent.
  • BALLOT: A form, generally made of paper, on which voters choose the candidate(s) of their choice.
ITEM #3:
  • END PUNCTUATION: Every sentence that doesn't end with particular emphasis (which would require an exclamation point) and is not a question (which would require a question mark) must end with a period.
Therefore, the above sentence should've been written:
Choice of location . . . I'm going to wait for more information. . . because, it might've been a retired Texas sheriff who finally located where all the secret missing ballots are.
Now that you all know better, go thou and sin no more.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Re: Dr. Shades's spelling and/or grammar lesson of the day

Post by dantana »

Total dick move Shades.

(1) To give a grammar tutorial one doesn't need to use the full post of the user unless one is trying to belittle and bully the target. Even though you didn't denote the user, (me) it's not hard for others to locate your target. It's a pretty small numbers board.

(2) "Ballet" was a typo. Reference: https://www.discussmormonism.com/viewto ... ?f=7&t=276
" A faction of the right is endeavoring to cry to it's base, with great indignity, that the courts aren't being allowed to hear its suitcase full of fraud affidavits because the left is getting them thrown out on technicalities. Whereas, what's really happening is, the right isn't even attempting to argue voter fraud to the courts, but is trying to get actual, legitimate, intention of the person ballots thrown out on technicalities."

(3) I missed a period. Oops.

(4) I had seen my gaff of "would've" in later re-readings and choose to let it slide.

I think that if one is going to attempt to embarrass a fellow poster with...yuk yuk, look at this illiterate, they should first scan a larger sample of said poster's posts. Go ahead, I'm not afraid. Or, maybe you forgot about the 'PM' option. Your oft used phrase of "now go and sin no more" is just a stupid attempt to make your ass-hatted-ness appear good natured.

I think what happened is you were annoyed with a couple of my recent posts and chose to resort to ad hominem.

Happy holidays, El Capitan.
Last edited by dantana on Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Lol. Welcome to Shades' world.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

dantana wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:27 am

I think what happened is you were annoyed with a couple of my recent posts and chose to resort to ad hominin.

ad hominem

:lol:

Just getting to you before Shades does!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
dantana
2nd Counselor

Post by dantana »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:00 am
dantana wrote:

I think what happened is you were annoyed with a couple of my recent posts and chose to resort to ad hominin.

ad hominem

OMG. I didn't just do that. crap. I'm fixing it anyway. Thankyou.

Now we're gonna get a tutorial on monkey business.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hominini
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

dantana wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:07 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:00 am

ad hominem

Now we're gonna get a tutorial on hominin's.

Multiple hominins don't need an apostrophe to express themselves. Since we're here. This is Shades' fault.

(And if 'crap' is a complete sentence, it should be 'Crap.' As in, Shades. What. The. Crap.)
dantana
2nd Counselor

Post by dantana »

Lem wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:21 am
dantana wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:07 am

Now we're gonna get a tutorial on hominin's.

Multiple hominins don't need an apostrophe to express themselves. Since we're here. This is Shades' fault.

(And if 'crap' is a complete sentence, it should be 'Crap.' As in, Shades. What. The. Crap.)
Fixed it. I think.

As an aside, I think sometimes the written out visual of a sentence can be a bit of art, as opposed the the hard structured rules of punctuation.

That last sentence is absolutely an attempt to disguise my inadequacy in literacy.
Last edited by dantana on Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

dantana wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:34 am
Lem wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:21 am

Fixed it. I think.

As an aside, I think sometimes the written out visual of a sentence can be a bit of art, as opposed the the hard structured rules of punctuation.

This last sentence is absolutely an attempt to disguise my inadequacy in literacy.
:lol: Totally agree with the point about art, but your disguise was pretty good, TWO. Also, Shades might someday develop an liking for Hungarian references. :D
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

dantana wrote:
To give a grammar tutorial one doesn't need to use the full post of the user unless one is trying to belittle and bully the target.
Then it's a good thing nobody used the full post of the user, isn't it?
(2) "Ballet" was a typo.
Even though the "e" and the "o" are on opposite sides of the keyboard?
Total dick move Shades. . . I think what happened is you were annoyed with a couple of my recent posts and chose to resort to ad hominem.
Hmm, apparently we've never met. Hello, my name is Dr. Shades. Allow me to tell you a little about myself: A) People's mere opinions don't rattle or anger me in any way. As such, you've never said anything to annoy me. B) I never resort to ad hominem (anymore) because it's intellectually lazy and never moves the discussion forward in any meaningful way. C) If I disagree with anything you say enough to react to it, I will make a post expressing said disagreement in the actual thread itself, in the full light of day, in plain, clear, straightforward American English.

On our previous board I had two threads, one titled "Dr. Shades's Spelling Lesson of the Day" and "Dr. Shades's Grammar Lesson of the Day." So this concept isn't new at all. Ask anyone; the only thing that inspired an entry therein was an error in one or the other; it was never due to my feelings regarding the poster him- or herself.
Lem wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:43 am
Also, Shades might someday develop an liking for Hungarian references.
"An liking?"
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

I must admit, I like grammar tutorials. Their reel good.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land