Dr. Shades's spelling and/or grammar lesson of the day

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
canpakes
God

Re: Dr. Shades's spelling and/or grammar lesson of the day

Post by canpakes »

Some Schmo wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:12 pm
This is another of the rare times when I disagree with you. You have a far better temperament than I do and are much more suited to the role.
Yep. How about it, Jersey Girl? I think that you’d do well with this. : )

:: canpakes turns and runs into another room ::
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

canpakes wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:48 pm
Some Schmo wrote:
This is another of the rare times when I disagree with you. You have a far better temperament than I do and are much more suited to the role.
Yep. How about it, Jersey Girl? I think that you’d do well with this. : )

:: canpakes turns and runs into another room ::

Oh canpakes, Schmo is talking to Gunnar in that post. Not me. Would I do it? I've done it before. Yeah, I'd do it for 30 days temp, if needed, but no longer than that.

You know I was thinking a bit more about this last night. I've always liked the idea of rotating moderators at some sort of interval. Even overlapping their "terms" if that didn't seem like too much trouble. There are plenty of posters around here who could do it. Except for a handful of posters, I would love to see everyone take a turn and see what it's like. That way, the mods wouldn't get fried on moderating and people wouldn't get um..okay, build up a case of the ass for posters who moderate. Because that does happen. I can well understand why. People can get weary of it and also posters who are being moderated can have a tendency to blur the lines between the moderator in mod mode and who they are when they post. I also think moderators can blur the lines as well. Why let something chronic build up when you can easily rotate moderators?

Anyone who knows how to post can figure out the mod panel. It's like ordering on Amazon or organizing pin boards on Pinterest. Easy peasy!

How about you???

::Jersey Girl runs right after canpakes, throws wet noodles at canpakes!! Al dente of course! ::
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Some Schmo wrote:
Gunnar wrote:I have no doubt that you could be a better moderator than I.
Thanks, Schmo! That means a lot to me coming from you!
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:25 am
Qualifications? You gest[sic], Sir. You gest. Moderating this board is so easy that even a monkey can do it. Like I used to call myself Monkey Mod. Not joking! All you need to know is how to use a computer and push the buttons. If you can post and edit your posts, you're 3/4 of the way there. It's like moving an item from your "save for later" to your "shopping cart" then placing an order on Amazon only you don't get anything back for it.

:lol:
You mean "jest", of course. ;) But seriously, like Schmo, I don't actually read every single thing posted here, and would not want to feel obligated to do so.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:40 am

How about you???

::Jersey Girl runs right after canpakes, throws wet noodles at canpakes!! Al dente of course! ::
Yer damn right that’d better be al dente. : D

I wouldn’t mind taking a rotation on moderator duty. After all, I’m fully aware that I help muck up the joint from time to time with my fun poking at subs. Seems like I’d owe it to the place to clean up after myself on occasion.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Shades' spirit of free speech is such an important item to preserve, that it should come foremost in every decision. I hate getting booted off boards and blogs that are unable to accommodate that principle.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Moksha wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:06 am
Shades' spirit of free speech is such an important item to preserve, that it should come foremost in every decision. I hate getting booted off boards and blogs that are unable to accommodate that principle.
We don't have free speech. We have auto-correct. :lol:
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

canpakes wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:50 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:40 am

How about you???

Yer damn right that’d better be al dente. : D

I wouldn’t mind taking a rotation on moderator duty. After all, I’m fully aware that I help muck up the joint from time to time with my fun poking at subs. Seems like I’d owe it to the place to clean up after myself on occasion.
See, that is a good example of what I mentioned earlier in the thread. Let's say you did serve as moderator and took moderator action on subgenius' posts. In that case, subgenius would have reason to suspect that you might be acting out of bias. That's where you would hold to a policy of not taking action on a thread you were involved in and hand the report off to another person on the mod team like I used to do. You know, avoid the appearance of evil. :twisted:

I also have always thought that a rotation of some kind would be a desirable practice. I think it would keep things fresh and support a sense of goodwill towards each other. I mean let's face it, we can get on each other's nerves here. If rotations were to happen, mods wouldn't feel like they were stuck for life and posters wouldn't feel like they were stuck with mods for life either.

I wouldn't hand over a mod panel to just anyone here, particularly posters that are new to us, but goodness, just look around this place, there's a ton of of folks that could "do time" as moderators without feeling that they were in for a life sentence.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I thought of something else with regard to moderation here and it has to do with derails which is the thing that I object to most. If someone sends in a report about a derail in progress, I think a mod should step in with a kind of "Derail warning" to nip it in the bud. Then if the derail continues, mods split the thread following that warning. The worst thing that can happen from the mod side regarding derailments is when a derail has gone on for pages upon pages (look at some of the lengthy threads here that were disrupted by derail) and they are asked to split the thread.

The mods have to open the thread and while they read through it to pick up the derail, they click the "boxes" (circles as I recall) of each post they are going to move, then at the end you move all of those at once. If the derail is long, it's time consuming and painstaking to follow the alleged derail and distinguish between what fits the derail and what remains as on topic, and not only that you have to decide if you're going to include a hybrid post that contains both on topic and derail material in the move. Really, it's a pain in the ass. That's why you sometimes see an entire thread jettisoned to a different forum. Just toss the whole thing because you know, people have actual lives.

It's kind of like sending one post to another forum only you have to read through the narrative closely to examine and identify the derail and that can include tons of posts on a lengthy thread. That's why I would like to see a mod warning about a potential derail. If people want to flout the warning, then fine, split the darn thing before it goes long.

Slava Ukraini!
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:34 am
I thought of something else with regard to moderation here and it has to do with derails which is the thing that I object to most.
Every thread if it lasts long enough will get off track. What seems tangential sometimes leads to delightful exchanges. Sometimes threads get off track and will self-correct, especially with one track posters. Whether they do or don't, the universe is unfolding as it should. Consider this, a thread on Dr. Shades' spelling and grammar lessons can lead to a bid to be a board moderator. Is that not good?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace