Dr. Shades's spelling and/or grammar lesson of the day

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Some Schmo
God

Re: Dr. Shades's spelling and/or grammar lesson of the day

Post by Some Schmo »

Shades, I'm with you on grammar, but this thing you have with "filthy language" is just weird. Is Perfume against cursing? Is that your deal?

I don't trust people who think certain words carry some kind of supernatural power. Saying "“F”" doesn't actually place a curse on anyone.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

Lem wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:47 am
Well thank you, Shades. I guess. C-unt is now replaced with “ cunt. ” No-go on “charisma, uniqueness, nerve, and talent,” huh?
This is getting hard to follow. Auto-correct NOW does NOT replace "cunt" with "c-word," it has returned to leaving it as "cunt" (although it tries very hard to get one to spell it as COUNT). That auto-correct has a mind of its own!!! Or something. Well, if “charisma, uniqueness, nerve, and talent" is more offensive than "c-word" then I guess leaving all the swear words as they are is probably the optimal solution.

Or, here's a thought, if swear words violate the rules of a particular forum, just set all such words to be replaced with something like "[violation of rules deleted]". Decision-making is the same, across the board. No words would carry any more or less meaning than any others. Although I agree with Jersey here, it's the derailments that are bothersome, not the language.
Morley
God
Location: Raphael, Saint Catherine of Alexandria, 1507–1509 (detail)

Post by Morley »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:36 pm

You're right. I should've specified that I meant "the royal you."
There's no such thing as "the royal you." Even if there were, I'm sure it would be as condescendingly used as "the royal we."
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Dr. Shades wrote:
For now, though, you're free to turn off the auto-correct if you wish. The instructions are at the top of every forum.
Turning off the word censoring is indeed an option. Turning off auto-correct is not an option. Are you being disingenuous or am I missing something, Shades?
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Morley wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:14 pm
I'm not even talking about someone else's so-called "filthy language." I'm complaining about the general policy of changing words or acronyms to be what any given board administrator thinks they should be.
Dr. Shades wrote:
Readability = user-friendliness.
Someone else changing what is actually said with the excuse of providing readability = loss of personality and intent of the original.
Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:20 pm
You have the ability to read these threads just as easily as you read and located dantana's post with what you believe are grammatical and spelling errors and then decided to make a new topic thread about it mirroring your previous thread about grammar and spelling.
Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:29 pm
What I believe are grammatical and spelling errors? Were they, or weren't they?
Shades, have you not been reading this thread?
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Morley wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:31 am
Shades, have you not been reading this thread?
Your talking to Shades. Mr. Obtuse Extraordinaire. :roll:

Or MOE as I think of him.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Is there any chance that Mantis could be the official alien of Mormon Discussions?

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Chap wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:03 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:46 am
I have consistently defended your right to a life and personal time over what, 15 years now? We need another moderator to come on board. If you disagree, fine. But without violation corrections, the place takes on a free for all effect where people are left to slug it out. Is that what you want?
OK. So as I have mentioned before, Shades will need to find a board member who:

(a) Has the ability to perform the functions of a moderator.
(b) Is likely to be trusted by other posters to act fairly and consistently.
(c) Is willing to take on the job.

Do you know anyone who fulfils all those criteria? If so, PM Shades, and I am sure he will recruit that person straight away.

Otherwise ...
No. I will not send Shades names via PM. I will name them in full public view.

Cam, honor, Gad, and Gunnar. I would accept moderator action from any one of those posters if they were willing to do the job.

Cam said he'd do it but with a concern about controversy. In that case, and if he were willing, he could do what I used to do which is never to take moderator action on a thread he is involved in to avoid the appearance of bias. Go hands off and send in a report as a poster and let another moderator make the determination or raise the infraction in the Mod Forum.

honor is a well balanced poster. I trust him to follow the rules of the board regardless which poster's posts he takes action on and do so free of bias. honor would cut the baby in half without thinking twice about it or looking over his shoulder afterwards.

Gad is an excellent moderator. He is fair, balanced, and would have no problem whatsoever making determinations. I know him almost as long as I know Gunnar and I trust him implicitly to carry out the duties of the job.

Gunnar I have known longer than any other poster on this board and that is for 20 years. Gunnar, for example and if he were willing to take it on, wouldn't think twice about taking moderator action on one of my posts according to the rules.

Bond was the first moderator on MDB. How long do you think Shades had to become acquainted with him before installing him as moderator? Not very long, I'd say, and yet he was willing to take Bond for a spin.

I am sure I could come up with other nominees. I am sure there are posters in Terrestrial who could do the job. Those 4 posters come immediately to mind as being able to decisively act on the rules of the board.

While Shades is obsessing over auto-correct and the placement of "filthy language" :roll: , he is overlooking the numerous instances of derail, the posting of graphic images, whole commentary that belongs in Prison, as well as comments to the effect of asking another poster if they are dead yet. Comments regarding the death or wishing death on other posters are deemed way the hell off limits on most boards I have seen.

I think we need two more moderators in addition to Shades to cover this board. People who are on here at different hours of the day. Pick someone and give them a chance if they are willing. Otherwise, anyone who looks in on these forums is going to get a Lord of the Flies vibe and join in the build up of free for all. If we're going to go Lord of the Flies, just delete the rules because right now we're presenting a board that doesn't exist.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

ETA: Put them on 30 day cycles, two at a time. Rotate them and replace them as needed. I'd put RI back on if he were willing to be part of the rotation. Right now entire threads here are caving in around us due to derails while Shades fiddles with the auto-correct. :roll:

Slava Ukraini!