Dr. Shades's spelling and/or grammar lesson of the day

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Lem
God

Re: Dr. Shades's spelling and/or grammar lesson of the day

Post by Lem »

Moksha wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:49 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:34 am
I thought of something else with regard to moderation here and it has to do with derails which is the thing that I object to most.
Every thread if it lasts long enough will get off track. What seems tangential sometimes leads to delightful exchanges. Sometimes threads get off track and will self-correct, especially with one track posters. Whether they do or don't, the universe is unfolding as it should. Consider this, a thread on Dr. Shades' spelling and grammar lessons can lead to a bid to be a board moderator. Is that not good?
And sometimes derailments are not so delightful. Is that good? You know what kind of derailments Jersey Girl is talking about, and they are not good. Just because the universe unfolds to, for example, let gymnastic trolls derail threads by our friends who have passed on doesn't mean we should stand by and let it happen. That's what Jersey Girl is talking about. Pretending it doesn't happen isn't amusing.
AZCaesar
Nursery

Post by AZCaesar »

Well, I must say that I can totally live with the constant derails, as like as I don't have to have absolute filth like the most common, accepted abbreviation for the word "senator" cross my eyes ever again. Besides, seeing "Sic et Non Romney" and "Sic et Non McConnell" makes this board immensely more readable, and as we all have learned:
Dr. Shades wrote: Readability = user-friendliness.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

AZCaesar wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:05 pm
Well, I must say that I can totally live with the constant derails, as like as I don't have to have absolute filth like the most common, accepted abbreviation for the word "senator" cross my eyes ever again. Besides, seeing "Sic et Non Romney" and "Sic et Non McConnell" makes this board immensely more readable, and as we all have learned:
Dr. Shades wrote: Readability = user-friendliness.
The gymnast troll derails I mentioned ARE absolute filth in that they were allowed to continue until they drove away a friend we no longer have with us so I agree with you there, but damn, 'sic et non Romney' is indeed pretty funny.
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Post by dantana »

Oh the dilemma. See, I think a person needs/must have substantial shock words available to them to craft a good paragraph. But then also, a conscientious person needs be mindful of the feelings of those uncomfortable with coarse language. And since about %80 of the worlds population associate with Deity based existence theory, (DBET) and it's associated mores, and since this is a LDS themed disc. board, I guess the DBET's should get the edge.

Problem: The swearing crowd, (SC) want/need the impact of a shock word to drive home a point, but would like to not offend. The DBET's suggest "frigging" or "fricking" as a fair alternative to the F-word. The SC's say that is just too watered down and has no shock value whatsoever. The SC's say this visual - "F-Celestial Kingdom" is a fair offering, and carries enough weight. The DBET's say BS, that when they see that visually, their minds eye still sees the full word.

The DR. Shades foundation has been working on this problem for a decade now, but is still stuck on trying to settle the Sh-t/crap diagrama.

I don't have much to offer, just the one possible solution. In grade school I had a friend who thought the "yuk yuk" in the comic books was pronounced with the long u. "Yewk yewk." He also liked to transfer that over to his other favorite word. So, ever since then whenever I see the written f-word, my minds ear hears the long u version.

Example; Can you fewking believe some actually think there exists shape shifting fewking lizard people. See. Problem solved. The DBET's mind's eye >ear connection is tricked, and the SC's get their accent word.

Editing will be a common thing on my posts now, of course.
Last edited by dantana on Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

dantana...friend...buddy...guy on the board...don't come for me!
But then also, a conscientious person needs be mindful of the feelings of those uncomfortable with course language.
Coarse.

omghe'sgonnakillme
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Problem: The swearing crowd, (SC) want/need the impact of a shock word to drive home a point, but would like to not offend.
Um, no. Just no. There is not a word of profanity that comes out of my keyboard from A-F and beyond, that is intended to produce shock.

Not even.

The profanity that comes out of my keyboard is only intended to emphasize. I'm from Jersey. That's it. That's always it. It's never not it.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Post by dantana »

I'm reporting this.
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

dantana wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:46 am
I'm reporting this.

:lol:

Slava Ukraini!
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

I swear in my posts in the same way I swear in real life. It's just a style, another tool in the linguistic toolbox. It's about audience and tone.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

dantana wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:57 am
Oh the dilemma. See, I think a person needs/must have substantial shock words available to them to craft a good paragraph. But then also, a conscientious person needs be mindful of the feelings of those uncomfortable with coarse language. And since about %80 of the worlds population associate with Deity based existence theory, (DBET) and it's associated mores, and since this is a LDS themed disc. board, I guess the DBET's should get the edge.
:lol: :lol: :lol: didn't you say you have been reading here for years? Not very attentively, I would argue.