Pandemic: Life on the ground

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Pandemic: Life on the ground

Post by Res Ipsa »

It’s been a week since exposure and I’m fine. No symptoms. Negative home tests. Apparently only one of our boardgaming foursome got infected, and he’s getting better.

BA 2.12.1 is reportedly the most contagious yet, but no more severe than vanilla Omicron. I think it’s the sub variant most responsible for the recent wave in New England.

I don’t know that much about BA 4 or BA 5. Early days. Hopefully Moderna’s new bivalent vaccine will help with all these Omicron subvariants that don’t seem to confer much immunity against each other.

Some of the Epi folks I follow on Twitter are getting sick of the bots and trolls, so I’m finding it harder to keep current.

ETA: This article is consistent with what I’ve read about BA 4 and 5. https://www.verywellhealth.com/omicron-ba4-ba5-5324953
he/him
"Everything we see hides another thing, we always want to see what is hidden by what we see."
– Rene Magritte
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:50 am
It’s been a week since exposure and I’m fine. No symptoms. Negative home tests. Apparently only one of our boardgaming foursome got infected, and he’s getting better.

BA 2.12.1 is reportedly the most contagious yet, but no more severe than vanilla Omicron. I think it’s the sub variant most responsible for the recent wave in New England.

I don’t know that much about BA 4 or BA 5. Early days. Hopefully Moderna’s new bivalent vaccine will help with all these Omicron subvariants that don’t seem to confer much immunity against each other.

Some of the Epi folks I follow on Twitter are getting sick of the bots and trolls, so I’m finding it harder to keep current.
I'm happy to hear you dodged this! I'm so tired of Covid and trying to follow it's many variants but we're still in a pandemic and this is no time for any of us to get lax about prevention.

I think the only time I'm never not masked publicly is outdoors. I hardly ever seen people masked inside buildings these days unless it's a doctor's office. I'll mask forever if I feel like it. I'm used to it.

Thanks for the info. I'll check on these myself.
Slava Ukraini!
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Anthony Fauci Tests Positive for Coronavirus

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and President Joe Biden’s chief medical adviser, has tested positive for COVID-19 on Wednesday and is experiencing mild symptoms.

The 81-year-old Fauci is fully vaccinated and has received two boosters.

“Today, Anthony S. Fauci, M.D., director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), part of the National Institutes of Health, and Chief Medical Advisor to President Biden, tested positive for COVID-19 on a rapid antigen test. He is fully vaccinated and has been boosted twice.” the NIH said in a statement. “He is currently experiencing mild symptoms. Dr. Fauci will isolate and continue to work from his home. He has not recently been in close contact with President Biden or other senior government officials. Dr. Fauci will follow the COVID-19 guidelines of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and medical advice from his physician and return to the NIH when he tests negative.”

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2022 ... ronavirus/

"Ajax, you're an idiot. If you practice social distancing and get vaccinated, you won't get COVID. You've got blood on your hands for going to work and trying to make a living."
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Doctor Steuss
High Councilman

Post by Doctor Steuss »

81 years old, and mild symptoms. Right on.

I've heard rumors that there are some people in their 70s who got COVID, while not vaccinated, and had to be transferred to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center for treatment. Rumor also is that they had the best immune system. Some doctors described it as incredible, and the white blood cells as stable geniuses.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

ajax18 wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:18 pm
Anthony Fauci Tests Positive for Coronavirus

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and President Joe Biden’s chief medical adviser, has tested positive for COVID-19 on Wednesday and is experiencing mild symptoms.

The 81-year-old Fauci is fully vaccinated and has received two boosters.

“Today, Anthony S. Fauci, M.D., director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), part of the National Institutes of Health, and Chief Medical Advisor to President Biden, tested positive for COVID-19 on a rapid antigen test. He is fully vaccinated and has been boosted twice.” the NIH said in a statement. “He is currently experiencing mild symptoms. Dr. Fauci will isolate and continue to work from his home. He has not recently been in close contact with President Biden or other senior government officials. Dr. Fauci will follow the COVID-19 guidelines of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and medical advice from his physician and return to the NIH when he tests negative.”

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2022 ... ronavirus/

"Ajax, you're an idiot. If you practice social distancing and get vaccinated, you won't get COVID. You've got blood on your hands for going to work and trying to make a living."
As opposed to unvaccinated Trump who was on his ass so bad he had to be threatened with being transported out of the White House on a stretcher or in a wheel chair because he's a gigantic dumbass. Guess the bleach didn't work. Like almost a cleaning.
Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

This is a Covid survivor singing lead. You can hear it in his voice a little. Keith's voice sounds weak. Please do not kill Keith rotten virus.

Dead Flowers - The Rolling Stones - Milan - 21st June 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqEnIklAlRs
Slava Ukraini!
Vēritās
CTR A

Post by Vēritās »

Welp, it took a couple of years but I finally got COVID. I had always assumed I had gotten it before but was just asymptomatic but my wife came back from Mexico last week and brought COVID with her. We tested positive with an at home test. She started showing symptoms the day after she arrived and two days after that I did. The first day I was out cold just sleeping all day with a massive headache. It hit so hard I don't even remember falling asleep. Anyway, my wife started taking Ivermectin immediately because her know it all sister from Brazil brought it and swears it is a cure. I on the other hand decided to get a prescription for Paxlovid, which is the new COVID pill. I'm feeling much better now after a couple of days on the mend, whereas my wife is still struggling. The side effect of Paxlovid is that everything tastes really bad, even when you're not eating or drinking, you just have this constant bad taste. But after two days I think it is working well enough.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Vēritās wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:52 pm
Welp, it took a couple of years but I finally got COVID. I had always assumed I had gotten it before but was just asymptomatic but my wife came back from Mexico last week and brought COVID with her. We tested positive with an at home test. She started showing symptoms the day after she arrived and two days after that I did. The first day I was out cold just sleeping all day with a massive headache. It hit so hard I don't even remember falling asleep. Anyway, my wife started taking Ivermectin immediately because her know it all sister from Brazil brought it and swears it is a cure. I on the other hand decided to get a prescription for Paxlovid, which is the new COVID pill. I'm feeling much better now after a couple of days on the mend, whereas my wife is still struggling. The side effect of Paxlovid is that everything tastes really bad, even when you're not eating or drinking, you just have this constant bad taste. But after two days I think it is working well enough.
Damn, sorry to hear that. I hope you and your wife recover soon.

Just FYI, the fact that you've had COVID doesn't give you that much protection against future infections. The more recent variants appear to have evolved an increased ability to escape immune responses from previous infections.
he/him
"Everything we see hides another thing, we always want to see what is hidden by what we see."
– Rene Magritte
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Vēritās wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:52 pm
I'm sorry you were forced to perform this personal drug trial, but it's good for us to hear about it. One of my family members had to use Paxlovid as well and also complained about the taste. I hope you consider it a small price to pay for a fast recovery. I wish your wife would take it as well but I know good and well (going by my own family members and relatives) that even though we disagree with each other people are going to follow what makes most sense to them. It's really hard when it's your loved ones with whom you disagree.

Happy you are on the mend!
Slava Ukraini!