Pandemic: Life on the ground

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Pandemic: Life on the ground

Post by Jersey Girl »

This is a Covid survivor singing lead. You can hear it in his voice a little. Keith's voice sounds weak. Please do not kill Keith rotten virus.

Dead Flowers - The Rolling Stones - Milan - 21st June 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqEnIklAlRs
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Vēritās
God

Post by Vēritās »

Welp, it took a couple of years but I finally got COVID. I had always assumed I had gotten it before but was just asymptomatic but my wife came back from Mexico last week and brought COVID with her. We tested positive with an at home test. She started showing symptoms the day after she arrived and two days after that I did. The first day I was out cold just sleeping all day with a massive headache. It hit so hard I don't even remember falling asleep. Anyway, my wife started taking Ivermectin immediately because her know it all sister from Brazil brought it and swears it is a cure. I on the other hand decided to get a prescription for Paxlovid, which is the new COVID pill. I'm feeling much better now after a couple of days on the mend, whereas my wife is still struggling. The side effect of Paxlovid is that everything tastes really bad, even when you're not eating or drinking, you just have this constant bad taste. But after two days I think it is working well enough.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Vēritās wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:52 pm
Welp, it took a couple of years but I finally got COVID. I had always assumed I had gotten it before but was just asymptomatic but my wife came back from Mexico last week and brought COVID with her. We tested positive with an at home test. She started showing symptoms the day after she arrived and two days after that I did. The first day I was out cold just sleeping all day with a massive headache. It hit so hard I don't even remember falling asleep. Anyway, my wife started taking Ivermectin immediately because her know it all sister from Brazil brought it and swears it is a cure. I on the other hand decided to get a prescription for Paxlovid, which is the new COVID pill. I'm feeling much better now after a couple of days on the mend, whereas my wife is still struggling. The side effect of Paxlovid is that everything tastes really bad, even when you're not eating or drinking, you just have this constant bad taste. But after two days I think it is working well enough.
Damn, sorry to hear that. I hope you and your wife recover soon.

Just FYI, the fact that you've had COVID doesn't give you that much protection against future infections. The more recent variants appear to have evolved an increased ability to escape immune responses from previous infections.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Vēritās wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:52 pm
I'm sorry you were forced to perform this personal drug trial, but it's good for us to hear about it. One of my family members had to use Paxlovid as well and also complained about the taste. I hope you consider it a small price to pay for a fast recovery. I wish your wife would take it as well but I know good and well (going by my own family members and relatives) that even though we disagree with each other people are going to follow what makes most sense to them. It's really hard when it's your loved ones with whom you disagree.

Happy you are on the mend!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

I finally tested positive for covid-19 yesterday. The rest of my household tested positive the day before. They put me on a renal dosage of Paxlovid as my GFR is lower than it should be. So far, I have only mild symptoms, like a mild sore throat with occasional coughing and sneezing. No fever or headache or shortness of breath, and my blood oxygen saturation remains high.

ETA: I had planned to get my 4th booster shot this week; Now I will have to wait until I recover. :(
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Well damn, Gunnar. Hope you and yours are well soon.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Gunnar wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:14 pm
I finally tested positive for covid-19 yesterday. The rest of my household tested positive the day before. They put me on a renal dosage of Paxlovid as my GFR is lower than it should be. So far, I have only mild symptoms, like a mild sore throat with occasional coughing and sneezing. No fever or headache or shortness of breath, and my blood oxygen saturation remains high.

ETA: I had planned to get my 4th booster shot this week; Now I will have to wait until I recover. :(
One of my best friends is 77 and has dementia. He tested positive yesterday. We got him a prescription for Paxlovid. I've talked with him several times today, and he compared his symptoms to mild flu.

Like you Gunnar, he had not received his 4th booster, but is still doing well. Glad you're on Paxlovid. I had been helping him with, ironically, changing doctors, so I've had a lot of contact with him this week. My best friend's daughter has a compromised immune system, so I'm staying away from her for a few days. So far I have tested negative, and don't feel sick.

Most people are doing well if they've been vaccinated and take Paxlovid. Hang in there.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Gunnar wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:14 pm

What? No! I hope you and yours are feeling better VERY soon and have NO complications whatsoever, my dear friend!

Get away from my Gunnar you lousy virus! :evil:

Slava Ukraini!
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Thanks for well wishes everyone. I took my first dose of Paxlovid this evening and I am already feeling better. I can't attribute that to the Paxlovid, though, as I already started feeling better before I took it. My symptoms were already mild to begin with and seemed to be diminishing already even before I took the medicine. I hope this bodes well for a full and quick recovery.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Gunnar wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:33 am
Thanks for well wishes everyone. I took my first dose of Paxlovid this evening and I am already feeling better. I can't attribute that to the Paxlovid, though, as I already started feeling better before I took it. My symptoms were already mild to begin with and seemed to be diminishing already even before I took the medicine. I hope this bodes well for a full and quick recovery.
You out there?

Slava Ukraini!