Pandemic: Life on the ground

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Pandemic: Life on the ground

Post by Jersey Girl »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:33 pm
Putting this on both long running Covid threads. Pfizer has got approval for it's first anti viral PILL. Add this to the arsenal.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/22/health/p ... index.html

Pfizer pill...production and distribution.

White House covid-19 response team holds a news conference
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph-L5JR-IDc
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Get. me. OUT. of. here.

That is all.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:36 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:33 pm
Putting this on both long running Covid threads. Pfizer has got approval for it's first anti viral PILL. Add this to the arsenal.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/22/health/p ... index.html

Pfizer pill...production and distribution.

White House covid-19 response team holds a news conference
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph-L5JR-IDc
Every little bit helps. Did we talk about the vaccine that the inventor basically put into the public domain? Yay!
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

A view from a doc on the front lines. https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1479 ... 98947.html

Ed Yong writes about the effect of Omicron on the health care system.
To be clear, these problems are not affecting just COVID patients, but all patients. When Swaminathan’s friends asked what they should be doing about Omicron, he advised them about boosters and masks, but also about wearing a seat belt and avoiding ladders. “You don’t want to be injured now,” he told me. “Any need to go to the emergency department is going to be a problem.” This is the bind that Americans, including vaccinated ones, now face. Even if they’re unconcerned about COVID or at low personal risk from it, they can still spread a variant that could ultimately affect them should they need medical care for anything.
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... rs/621193/
he/him

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

You guys, our state health department has a link where you can order free at-home Covid 19 tests. I've got a kit with 2 tests on the way! Looks like you can order every 30 days? Check out your own state to see if they have them if you are interested. I learned that our hospital ER's want us to show up with a positive Covid test to get the monoclonal antibody infusion. Our local pharms are completely out of tests so I am thinking this is the way to go to save time showing up for the infusion if needed.

A copy of this post appears on the V&T thread as well.

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Update on local conditions. My daughter's UW campus has gone to remote through the end of the month. The state school superintendent had a press conference. He said that there is no plan to go to remote education statewide. However, individual districts or schools may close temporarily depending on staff shortages or infection breakouts. The decision is being made locally, based on advice from the local health districts. Our school district now has a dashboard that lists cases among students and staff (without individually identifiable information) for each school, and everyone has been told to be prepared to pivot to remote learning on 24 hours notice.

One of the most vaccine resistant school district employee groups has been bus drivers. The district has had to cancel all after school activities because there aren't enough drivers. Yesterday, the district announced that several bus routes had been consolidated and that students would be picked up at newly designated stops. Too many drivers out sick.

Son's work has two employees out with Covid exposure plus symptoms. Our system of same-day PCR testing now takes several days to get results.
he/him

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

It's a little hard to know what is actually happening in my area except that I am plugged into a few private Facebook groups and there's always NextDoor. So...it looks like our schools are all in-person right now. Masks are optional for students.

I see that there are reports of many fast food places shuttering their doors right now due to staff coming down with Covid so apparently staffing is even below skeleton crew level. A&W, Wendy's, Starbucks. Those kinds of places and also independent places.

That doesn't affect me because I don't patronize fast food.

I'm not going anywhere. I cancelled a dental and also cancelled myself out of my new rug hooking group gathering. I was blatantly honest when I cancelled. Everyone in rug hooking is vaxxed to the max. I don't care. I'm not doing it. I will also be sitting out another group meeting the end of the month.

I wanted to put this here in an obscure place. We've got an appointment the end of the week for biopsy results. His, not mine. We're concerned. And when I say concerned, I mean scared. Prayers and positive thoughts would be appreciated. Previously he's gotten the all clear via phone. This feels different.

God help us all and the Jersey Boy.

Slava Ukraini!
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

I feel for you at this difficult time, Jersey Girl.

Just get through these days of waiting, and don't try to reconcile yourself in advance to all possible outcomes of the interview. That's not possible for any human being, and it will sap energy best kept for later. When you know what the outcome is, that will be the time for dealing with it, whatever it is. But today is not that time. It's not a good time, but it is different. I wish you well.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:07 pm
We've got an appointment the end of the week for biopsy results. His, not mine. We're concerned. And when I say concerned, I mean scared. Prayers and positive thoughts would be appreciated. Previously he's gotten the all clear via phone. This feels different.

God help us all and the Jersey Boy.
I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you both.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

All my good thoughts are winging your way.
he/him