Pandemic: Life on the ground

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Re: Pandemic: Life on the ground

Post by Binger »

canpakes wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:40 pm
It also fails because folks are also required to test to meet certain conditions. In other words, if my child is exposed at school, then we will get that child tested in order to determine any need to adhere to a quarantine period. The child isn’t necessarily being tested to confirm any symptoms at all.

Binger, if his employment claims are correct, would need to undergo tests himself, for the same reason. So he understands that his meme is not ‘genius’ so much as it is disingenuous.

Clearly, pancakes, you are making stuff up. And what you are doing with your child does not have universal applications in healthcare. I made no disclosures about my employment claims, but that does not prevent you from making assumptions and lies, as usual.

Here on the ground, during a pandemic, we have to deal with people like you that think you know more than you do, and think that your assumptions about one thing are universally applied to all things. That is normal during this pandemic, here on the ground. What makes it worse, is that you pretend, based on your role as member and moderator in a forum, that the information you are filtering is perfect and that anything contrary is imperfect.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Binger wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:38 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:30 pm
Binger, I have little trust in your anecdote, not because it works against a "narrative" (nice well poisoning by the way), but because your track record of accuracy is dismal. And the meme isn't genius at all. It treats something that is perfectly rational and expected given the facts on the ground and ridicules it for the purpose of getting people to not act rationally. It reflects the arrogance of the knee-jerk contrarian -- nothing more.

I appreciate your well wishes.
And that is exactly the issue, Res. You dismiss the anecdote, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that it is factual. It was not well poisoning at all. And my track record on this is dismal in your narrow view only.

You are avoiding the issue with Doc's memes, what is the source of the data, how is that data accumulated, what are the criteria for creating white, orange or gray symbols on the meme? You know the source of my meme, a clown car with Ronald McDonald and snark. How is that any different than the meme Doc posted?

In this Pandemic, on the ground, people and institutions are organizing and propagandizing exactly as they are here in this forum. People dismiss or distrust based on what they want to believe and based on their tribe's beliefs, even when other facts and other points of view are valid and relevant.

The church is not "true," by the way, but many people would distrust your explanations and anecdotes if they want to believe that it is true.
I didn't say the anecdote is well poisoning. Saying I would reject it because it didn't fit my narrative before I had a chance to react to it is classic well poisoning.

You can swear your anecdote is absolutely true a thousand times. It has no impact on me. You've demonstrated a poor record of accurately reporting facts, which, for me, discounts the reliability of your anecdote below the already low reliability of anecdotal evidence. The chart is a compilation of data. It is consistent with reports of hospital and ICU usage by vaxxed vs. unvaxxed patients during the Omicron surge across the country. So, what to trust? Data that is consistent across the country or an anecdote by an anonymous rando on a message board who has already displayed low reliability and and obvious contrarian agenda? Hmm. If I want to be right, the answer is obvious.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Interesting, and I guess amusing in a dark sort of way (to me, at least) anecdote:

I’ve been working with a funeral home to make some final arrangements for someone who passed on 12/23. Today, I finally have a meeting to give them the court order, and sign everything. The reason for the long delay in getting things wrapped up is massive short-staffing. In speaking with the GM yesterday, it isn’t because of an unmanageable increase in COVID-related deaths (he said their load is “normal” right now), but because of a surge in staff contracting COVID.

The attorney’s office I’ve been working with had half the staff out about a week ago due to COVID also.

On the personal frontline, there haven’t been any new cases amongst coworkers in probably about 4-5 weeks.

Haven’t had any opportunities to talk with BIL to see how things are going at the ER.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:51 pm
Binger wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:38 pm

And that is exactly the issue, Res. You dismiss the anecdote, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that it is factual. It was not well poisoning at all. And my track record on this is dismal in your narrow view only.

You are avoiding the issue with Doc's memes, what is the source of the data, how is that data accumulated, what are the criteria for creating white, orange or gray symbols on the meme? You know the source of my meme, a clown car with Ronald McDonald and snark. How is that any different than the meme Doc posted?

In this Pandemic, on the ground, people and institutions are organizing and propagandizing exactly as they are here in this forum. People dismiss or distrust based on what they want to believe and based on their tribe's beliefs, even when other facts and other points of view are valid and relevant.

The church is not "true," by the way, but many people would distrust your explanations and anecdotes if they want to believe that it is true.
I didn't say the anecdote is well poisoning. Saying I would reject it because it didn't fit my narrative before I had a chance to react to it is classic well poisoning.

You can swear your anecdote is absolutely true a thousand times. It has no impact on me. You've demonstrated a poor record of accurately reporting facts, which, for me, discounts the reliability of your anecdote below the already low reliability of anecdotal evidence. The chart is a compilation of data. It is consistent with reports of hospital and ICU usage by vaxxed vs. unvaxxed patients during the Omicron surge across the country. So, what to trust? Data that is consistent across the country or an anecdote by an anonymous rando on a message board who has already displayed low reliability and and obvious contrarian agenda? Hmm. If I want to be right, the answer is obvious.
So, in a pandemic, living life here on the ground, are we not always exposed to this? Consistent with hospital and ICU usage by vaxxed and unvaxxed according to who? According to what? According to Rolling Stone Magazine? The same source that brought you a report about emergency room usage? What is the source of your data and why do you need to generalize it based on what someone said about the country? And why, would that data contradict a factual assessment of the life on the ground?

You have selectively organized your sources and those who are allowed to talk and what they are allowed to say. Of course your opinions and selective information approves and confirms your bias. That is the effing point.

When we dismiss something as factual as 17 of 24 patients testing positive on a single nursing wing, after being vaxxed and after testing negative, are we killing the messenger, metaphorically? If we repost a report from Rolling Stone saying that ICUs were full of overdoses and turning away unvaccinated antivaxxers in Das MAGAland, but it was not true, are we crying wolf? Is there a spectrum of these behaviors on both sides?
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:09 pm
Interesting, and I guess amusing in a dark sort of way (to me, at least) anecdote:

I’ve been working with a funeral home to make some final arrangements for someone who passed on 12/23. Today, I finally have a meeting to give them the court order, and sign everything. The reason for the long delay in getting things wrapped up is massive short-staffing. In speaking with the GM yesterday, it isn’t because of an unmanageable increase in COVID-related deaths (he said their load is “normal” right now), but because of a surge in staff contracting COVID.

The attorney’s office I’ve been working with had half the staff out about a week ago due to COVID also.

On the personal frontline, there haven’t been any new cases amongst coworkers in probably about 4-5 weeks.

Haven’t had any opportunities to talk with BIL to see how things are going at the ER.
I can confirm similar conditions.

I can confirm that the shortage of beds is not always because the beds are not available, it is because the staff is unavailable. I have seen empty beds in many hospitals, including entire nursing stations that are unstaffed - so there are zero patients.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Binger wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:50 pm
canpakes wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:40 pm
It also fails because folks are also required to test to meet certain conditions. In other words, if my child is exposed at school, then we will get that child tested in order to determine any need to adhere to a quarantine period. The child isn’t necessarily being tested to confirm any symptoms at all.

Binger, if his employment claims are correct, would need to undergo tests himself, for the same reason. So he understands that his meme is not ‘genius’ so much as it is disingenuous.

Clearly, pancakes, you are making stuff up. And what you are doing with your child does not have universal applications in healthcare. I made no disclosures about my employment claims, but that does not prevent you from making assumptions and lies, as usual.

Here on the ground, during a pandemic, we have to deal with people like you that think you know more than you do, and think that your assumptions about one thing are universally applied to all things. That is normal during this pandemic, here on the ground. What makes it worse, is that you pretend, based on your role as member and moderator in a forum, that the information you are filtering is perfect and that anything contrary is imperfect.
My anecdote is correct, despite you just saying, ‘Nuh-uhh!!’. You can come on down and query the folks in lines; they'll confirm it.

It reminds me of how you admitted a while back that vaccination is required for your work. The same example applies to that. Just as folks may require testing whether or not it’s actually required, you were required to vaccinate whether or not you actually want to do so.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Binger wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:15 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:51 pm

So, in a pandemic, living life here on the ground, are we not always exposed to this? Consistent with hospital and ICU usage by vaxxed and unvaxxed according to who? According to what? According to Rolling Stone Magazine? The same source that brought you a report about emergency room usage? What is the source of your data and why do you need to generalize it based on what someone said about the country? And why, would that data contradict a factual assessment of the life on the ground?

You have selectively organized your sources and those who are allowed to talk and what they are allowed to say. Of course your opinions and selective information approves and confirms your bias. That is the effing point.

When we dismiss something as factual as 17 of 24 patients testing positive on a single nursing wing, after being vaxxed and after testing negative, are we killing the messenger, metaphorically? If we repost a report from Rolling Stone saying that ICUs were full of overdoses and turning away unvaccinated antivaxxers in Das MAGAland, but it was not true, are we crying wolf? Is there a spectrum of these behaviors on both sides?
No. Using Rolling Stone as your foil is a cherry pick. Just like your anecdote. What you're selling is paranoia about medical experts and institutions across the country, offering anecdotal, cherry-picked contrarian "evidence" as an alternative. We've got a brand new disease that is out of the range of experience of anyone. It's inevitable that people will get things wrong and make bad calls. But, clearly, the worst calls have been made by the contrarians. John Iodannis, anyone?

But, this is Pandemic: life on the ground. Not epistemology 101. If you want to have a discussion of how we know what we know and how to have the best odds of being right, let's start a new thread.

As for life on the ground, when I told my family my test was negative and said I didn't need to isolate and I didn't need to mask anymore, they're reaction was "but we don't want to catch your nasty cold." So, they left me to my isolated bedroom and continued to mask. And when I got up this morning, I thought "I don't want them to get this nasty cold, either." So i'm working today in my KN95 and will be extra scrupulous about hand washing.

It was a complete change in thinking about colds. I suspect there's going to be other changes in thinking as a result of the pandemic.
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Binger wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:20 pm
Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:09 pm

I can confirm similar conditions.

I can confirm that the shortage of beds is not always because the beds are not available, it is because the staff is unavailable. I have seen empty beds in many hospitals, including entire nursing stations that are unstaffed - so there are zero patients.
That's what medical personnel have been saying since the start of the Omicron wave. The problem is that there isn't enough staff to care for the patients.
he/him

Binger
God

Post by Binger »

canpakes wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:21 pm
Binger wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:50 pm

My anecdote is correct, despite you just saying, ‘Nuh-uhh!!’. You can come on down and query the folks in lines; they'll confirm it.

It reminds me of how you admitted a while back that vaccination is required for your work. The same example applies to that. Just as folks may require testing whether or not it’s actually required, you were required to vaccinate whether or not you actually want to do so.
WTF are you saying here? Are you saying that people get tested for reasons other than the results of the test?

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Congratulations are in order! Omicron had a baby! Welcome to the world, BA.2! Read all about it in the Q&A link below!

How worried should we be about the new 'stealth' Omicron? Our expert weighs inhttps://www.cnn.com/2022/02/03/health/s ... index.html

It's possibly more transmissible than BA.1 though no more severe.

On a more positive note, cases of BA.1 appear to have peaked and are dropping across the United States. The tracker says so. The tracker doesn't lie.

Unless it's Monday. Then the tracker lies.

I'm so bloody sick of this I can't even tell you guys.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!