Pandemic: Life on the ground

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Chap
God

Re: Pandemic: Life on the ground

Post by Chap »

Of course.

But since there is no way people can conduct their own PCR tests, while they can do their own LF tests, it is a sensible public health measure to say to people "Hey! How about doing an LFT before you go to that party?" If people get into that habit, and stay home if the test shows positive, it will achieve a quite significant reduction in the risks associated with social gatherings that people would probably have attended anyway.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Sure, but the problem is that as the incidence of infection becomes more common, the worse the "false negative" problem becomes. With the increasing incidence of infection caused by Omicron, a negative LFT result gives an increasingly false sense of security. https://www.newscientist.com/article/23 ... g-omicron/

Getting a positive result on an LFT means "skip the gathering." But a negative result means that, if you choose to attend, you're gambling that everyone else who attends got a "true negative" and tested close enough to the time of the gathering for the result to be reliable.

I'm not saying "don't take an LFT." I'm saying that folks should understand the actual risks. (And just stay home. :lol: :lol: :lol: )
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

We need to distinguish carefully between public health policy and individual decisions.

In an environment where many people are likely to take a "what the hell" attitude to social mixing, public health advertising and announcements persuading them to use an LFT in their decision as to whether to go or not can have a great effect on virus transmission.

You on the other hand remain free as an individual to stay at home and not mix at all.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Oof. Time to get off Twitter.

https://www.statnews.com/2021/12/20/omi ... ed-in-u-s/

I’m going to just hide my head under the covers for a couple of weeks.
he/him

K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:40 am

First omicron death confirmed. Unvaccinated Texas man in his 50s. One less Trump vote come 2024.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

K Graham wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:55 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:

First omicron death confirmed. Unvaccinated Texas man in his 50s. One less Trump vote come 2024.
Just sad. This was his second bout of COVID.
he/him

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:

Me too! :shock:

I found a map of our general area with locations for the monoclonal antibody treatments. One place is 10-15 minutes from the house. If you and others don't know your locations, please check on that so you know where to go.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Interesting thread on Omicron and testing. https://Twitter.com/datadrivenmd/status ... 97603?s=21
he/him

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

So. It would seem that throughout this thread we've made and revised plans to stay alive. So far as we know, we've succeeded. Good on us!

With three shots under our belts here in real life, I'm expanding our stayin' alive strategy. Some of these, I've already mentioned. Poke holes in my strategy if you see a place to do that.

1. N95 masks are on board. The man already copped one. ;-)

2. I'm working on a list of places that have monoclonal antibody infusions and/or shots. The list will be ready when I'm done calling each place to get information. In the process of getting that done.

3. I'm going to get us some at home rapid Covid tests. Will check that out at Walmart pharmacy tomorrow when I go. I know Walgreens has them. I know that these aren't 100% but one of the places I called (major hospital) said to show up with a positive Covid test if you can. So I'm giving it my best shot.

Get this. One place I called was a hydration and wellness center. Don't ask me what that is. They were on the list of locations. I was told that they aren't covered by insurance so the infusion costs $200.00 out of pocket but they can create a super bill :roll: to submit to your insurance, which I am sure is totally bogus and you're out the $200.00. They also (wait for it) offer additional therapeutic meds along with the infusion. Ivermectin and hydroxycholorquine. (sp?).

I kid you not.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Putting this on both long running Covid threads. Pfizer has got approval for it's first anti viral PILL. Add this to the arsenal.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/22/health/p ... index.html

Slava Ukraini!