Pandemic: Life on the ground

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Tinfoilhat
Valiant A

Re: Pandemic: Life on the ground

Post by Tinfoilhat »

If I remember correctly, isn't Jen Psaki a board member? If so, I would like to wish her well and hope she recovers from Covid as soon as possible.
Jen Psaki

Post by Jen Psaki »

Tinfoilhat wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:16 am
If I remember correctly, isn't Jen Psaki a board member? If so, I would like to wish her well and hope she recovers from Covid as soon as possible.
Thank you.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Welcome, Jen Psaki. I am a huge fan of the way you deal with stupid questions from dumb reporters of America's Right.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

If only you could Propofol through the colonoscopy preparation, everybody might get theirs in a timely manner. 🙃
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

msnobody wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:30 am
If only you could Propofol through the colonoscopy preparation, everybody might get theirs in a timely manner. 🙃
Midazolam isn't good enough for you? As a former circulator I can tell you people say funny stuff when that drug kicks in.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

The good: Today I take the little dude to get his first vaccine dose.

The bad: Another coworker passed away (last Thursday -- we just found out today) from COVID. She had only been with the company for about 3 months. Her third day of on-site training she was feeling under the weather. About a week and-a-half later, she was on a ventilator. My interaction with her was somewhat limited -- I worked with her for a couple hours a day over the course of 3 days. We chatted a bit about soccer. She had a small ball tattooed on her wrist (I played when my knees still worked, and she was currently on an indoor soccer team). She was a single mom, with two little ones. Absolutely heart-wrenching and surreal.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:48 pm

The bad: Another coworker passed away (last Thursday -- we just found out today) from COVID. She had only been with the company for about 3 months. Her third day of on-site training she was feeling under the weather. About a week and-a-half later, she was on a ventilator. My interaction with her was somewhat limited -- I worked with her for a couple hours a day over the course of 3 days. We chatted a bit about soccer. She had a small ball tattooed on her wrist (I played when my knees still worked, and she was currently on an indoor soccer team). She was a single mom, with two little ones. Absolutely heart-wrenching and surreal.
Good Lord, this is heartbreaking.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:48 pm

Sorry to hear that, man.

I had a plumber over today. It was his first day back to work from his COVID Delta infection. He had been hospitalized and put on a ventilator. I could hear the dude breathe from across the room. He's got an oxygen tank in his truck and had to take a step outside occasionally for a blast.

He's a COVID survivor, but not without a cost.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I went to my first theater performance since the start of the pandemic. It was a production of "Merely Players," performed by a small theater group headed up by a high school friend. Proof of vaccination and masks required. It was performed in a ballet studio under the regular old fluorescent lights. I would never have guessed how well the play would work in that setting.

The play begins right after the ending of As You Like It. One of the newlyweds, Phebe, is angry because she feels tricked and because she doesn't like her new husband. At all. She realizes that, although she was disguised as Ganymede at the time, she actually fell in love with Rosiland. Phebe doesn't want to be a mere player in the roles assigned to her. She just wants to be who she is. The play is an excellent counterpoint to Jaques famous soliloquy in As You Like It ("All the world's a stage...")

The play is excellent written, alternating between hilarity and biting sarcasm. The cast is three women, each of whom plays two roles. The actress who plays Phebe also plays Rosiland's new husband Orlando. The actress who plays Rosiland also plays Phebe's new husband, Silvius. And the actress who plays Rosiland's cousin Celia (renamed Silvia) also plays Jacque. The actresses did a great job of using different voices and movement to contrast their male and female characters.

I really enjoyed it. It's being performed in a theater in Bellingham in two weeks, and I'm considering reading As You Like It and seeing the Merely Players again, as I'm sure I missed quite a few references.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

A nice change from stories about anti-vaxxers who die protesting that they only have the flu ...

US man who survived Covid says sorry to doctors for not getting vaccinated

Richard Soliz from Seattle, who spent month ill in hospital, thanks staff and says he ‘deeply regrets’ not getting vaccine

After being hospitalized for 28 days with Covid-19, a man returned to the Seattle hospital that saved his life – to apologize for not getting vaccinated.

Richard Soliz, a 54-year old graphic artist, developed blood clots on his lungs after contracting the coronavirus. Admitted to Harborview medical center in late August, he spent close to a month on a ventilator and heart monitor, as doctors worried one of his blood clots might transfer to his brain or his heart.

Soliz pulled through, and in October he returned to the hospital to thank the staff for saving his life – and to say sorry.

“I deeply regret, you know, not making the decision to get vaccinated,” Soliz told Dr James Town, a pulmonologist and director of the medical intensive care unit.

“No one blames you or judges you,” Town told Soliz. “Everyone is just happy that you are willing to share the story, I think. And happy that you’re better.”

When Soliz got sick, he assumed it was the flu. Then he started having severe headaches. Shortly after that, he came down with a fever and began experiencing shortness of breath.

“And I realized, ‘Hey, this is not the flu. It’s Covid,” he said.

He was admitted to hospital on 23 August.

Soliz said he had been confused by contradicting information about vaccines on social media, including debunked claims of microchipped vaccines and suspicions of government intentions.

He was now certain, he said, “that there is truth to this virus, and not being vaccinated leaves you vulnerable to the extent of possibly really taking a person’s life. I personally know that, because I was not vaccinated, I did not act, I wasn’t certain, and I nearly lost my life.

“It was just not knowing, and what I did know was confusing and contradictory, so when a person is not totally convinced of something and doesn’t have the proper information to determine a yay or nay, perhaps they’ll do what I did and do nothing.”

When Soliz returned to the hospital in October a nurse, Kimmy Siebens, told him he looked great.

“To see you alive is just amazing,” she said, adding: “We do put so much of our own heart into the care and worry. We never really get to see people get that much better. And so it’s amazing. It makes it feel like it’s definitely all worth it.”

Soliz is now fully vaccinated but has been left with scarred lungs, which cause him to become winded even after slight physical activity. He has difficulty sleeping and struggles with a foggy memory and thoughts.

Doctors have told him he could begin to see improvements in his lungs in six months.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.