Pandemic: Life on the ground

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Pandemic: Life on the ground

Post by Jersey Girl »

Gunnar wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:34 pm
I mentioned to my doctor that I am still testing positive despite no longer having symptoms, and he replied:
You don't need to keep on testing since some patient will remain positive for weeks, but that does not mean that you are contagious after 5-10 days.
So apparently, even being fully recovered from Covid does not necessarily mean one will immediately test negative afterwards. That's somewhat frustrating and disappointing.
Someone in our family was researching this when they needed a negative test to return to work and learned that you could continue to test positive for I think it was 30 days or so. They ultimately were permitted to return to work after the 10 days to two weeks time frame after discussing it with their employer.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:55 am
MeDotOrg wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:36 am
I echo Gunnar. Today is Thursday, I was symptomatic on Saturday, tested positive on Sunday. Symptoms have been like a mild to moderate cold, and I've started feeling better. My congestion is down without taking antihistamines, so I'm not mouth-breathing, which means my throat isn't sore. The highest temperature I got was between 99 and 100.

If I had never heard of Covid and experienced this illness, I would just think I had a cold. I'd be thinking about going back to work tomorrow. As a man in my seventies, I'm grateful waited to get Covid after 4 shots, and seem to have contracted a milder variant.
Did you ever get the Paxlovid, MeDot? I'm so glad to hear you're doing well! I do think the vaccine and boosters are the reason you all have recovered so quickly! I'm happy to hear all of this...you know I get to worrying about people around here just like I do when it's in real life friends and family. I do care.
I decided against Paxlovid, simply because my symptoms didn't warrant it. This morning, except for some residual sniffles and cough, I feel pretty much like someone who is recovering from a cold, except luckier.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

I got well after a few days, felt 100% but then a day later I started up with the sniffles and now it is just an annoyance with slight congestion. But no fever or pain of any kind at this point.
Do you remember telling me that not everyone was going to get COVID. You said you got tested every week and didn't get it because you practiced proper social distancing. Do you still expect to have long term damage to your health as a result of being infected?
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Hawkeye
2nd Counselor

Post by Hawkeye »

So apparently, even being fully recovered from Covid does not necessarily mean one will immediately test negative afterwards. That's somewhat frustrating and disappointing.
And also counter to the returning to work policies that you helped impose upon the working people of this country for over 2 years.
The best part about this is waiting four years to see how all the crazy apocalyptic predictions made by the fear mongering idiots in Right Wing media turned out to be painfully wrong...Gasoline would hit $10/gallon. Hyperinflation would ensue.
Veritas
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Hawkeye wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:18 pm
And also counter to the returning to work policies that you helped impose upon the working people of this country for over 2 years.
I did not impose anything on anyone.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Still feel fully recovered from covid-19. Took another home covid check today, and it was negative. Will try again in a day or so and see if that still holds true.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

Gunnar wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:10 am
Still feel fully recovered from covid-19. Took another home covid check today, and it was negative. Will try again in a day or so and see if that still holds true.
I think we are on the same track, Gunnar. I tested negative today for the first time in a week. My biggest frustration is that Kaiser - my health provider - does not want to give me a PCR test FOR NINETY DAYS!

The problem is that my best friend's daughter is medically fragile, and I can't visit them until 5 days AFTER a negative PCR test. So if I follow Kaiser's policy, I can't see her for 3 months. I'll find an independent testing site tomorrow, but it really pisses me off.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Just got my fourth dose of Pfizer. The first three ensured that the COVID I had three months ago passed off very easily, so I think my immune system is likely to be well prepared over coming months.

More exciting variants are on their way, this time from India!
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Disappointment! 3 days ago I reported that I tested negative for Covid-19. Yesterday I came down with the sniffles and occasional sneezing, which is still going on today. Consequently, I decided to test again this morning and got a strong positive. I have no fever, headache, sore throat, and no breathing difficulty, and my oximeter reading is 97%. My sniffles are no worse than that of a mild cold. Hopefully this is nothing more than the rebound effect that a small percentage of recoverees from Covid experience a week or so after recovery. My family doctor assures me I am probably not contagious. I hope this is the case, but there is no way to rule that out with 100% certainty at this point. At least I am feeling alright otherwise, other than the sniffles -- my only symptom, so far.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Gunnar wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:23 pm
Disappointment! 3 days ago I reported that I tested negative for Covid-19. Yesterday I came down with the sniffles and occasional sneezing, which is still going on today. Consequently, I decided to test again this morning and got a strong positive. I have no fever, headache, sore throat, and no breathing difficulty, and my oximeter reading is 97%. My sniffles are no worse than that of a mild cold. Hopefully this is nothing more than the rebound effect that a small percentage of recoverees from Covid experience a week or so after recovery. My family doctor assures me I am probably not contagious. I hope this is the case, but there is no way to rule that out with 100% certainty at this point. At least I am feeling alright otherwise, other than the sniffles -- my only symptom, so far.
From what I’ve read, this pattern is pretty common. I haven’t got a good feel for where contagion ends in symptomatic cases.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.