Pandemic: Life on the ground

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Pandemic: Life on the ground

Post by Jersey Girl »

msnobody wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:26 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:40 pm

:D When we went to church on Christmas at the Lutheran (Catholic lite!) church, they were dropping the wafers in people's hands using gloves. I don't recall any drink at all.

Nice to get back to something like normal at your church, right?
Yes, especially when I'd wonder if that thing was truly edible. It was like stytofoam that immediately melted in your mouth.
Maybe they were like Puffs?

I hope they weren't those biodegradable packing peanuts! Those are actually edible you know. :shock: I think we should leave the past in the past and let's just move on...
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:33 am
msnobody wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:26 am

Yes, especially when I'd wonder if that thing was truly edible. It was like stytofoam that immediately melted in your mouth.
Maybe they were like Puffs?

I hope they weren't those biodegradable packing peanuts! Those are actually edible you know. :shock: I think we should leave the past in the past and let's just move on...
I’m thinking more biodegradable packing peanut slices.

I’m not sure I want to go through a 4th vaccine with its side effects. That last one left me with a four day headache that absolutely nothing helped. I was going through that kidney stone thing at the time, but I still think it was the vaccine.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

msnobody wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:22 am
I’m not sure I want to go through a 4th vaccine with its side effects.
Maybe you would prefer a COVID infection with its side effects? Unlike vaccine side effects, some of the COVID sequelae can be quite long-lasting. Your call.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

Chap wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:34 pm
msnobody wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:22 am
I’m not sure I want to go through a 4th vaccine with its side effects.
Maybe you would prefer a COVID infection with its side effects? Unlike vaccine side effects, some of the COVID sequelae can be quite long-lasting. Your call.
If I get through the vaccine trial (Moderna), without a 4th vaccine, I may try a Pfizer vaccine. Most if the people I know with long lasting effects were people who got COVID when the pandemic first arrived.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:03 am
An attempt to return to topic.

I'm getting the 4th shot on Tuesday. A couple of weeks in advance of a trip to Florida. Will report on side effects if only for my own documentation here. Third shot knocked me out for, I think, 4 days. :shock:
Pfizer reinforcements reported for duty 3 hours ago. Already yawning. See? I wasn't joking. :lol:

Pillow and blankie here I come!
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

What? No one wished me well? Heck with you guys!
Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:40 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:03 am
An attempt to return to topic.

I'm getting the 4th shot on Tuesday. A couple of weeks in advance of a trip to Florida. Will report on side effects if only for my own documentation here. Third shot knocked me out for, I think, 4 days. :shock:
Pfizer reinforcements reported for duty 3 hours ago. Already yawning. See? I wasn't joking. :lol:

Pillow and blankie here I come!
Only a bit sleepy when I wrote the above post. Just a little tired when going up flights of stairs but nothing like the last time. Piece. of. cake! 8-)

Slava Ukraini!
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:57 pm
Piece. of. cake!
Fortunately, that's how it is for pretty well everybody. That needs to be said from time to time, since otherwise we only hear from the rare people who have felt bad for a while.

I'm now looking forward to number 4!
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Here in the Pacific Northwest, where we celebrated our first 70 degree day of the year yesterday, we are fully on board with the grand experiment: can we make a pandemic go away by ignoring it. For the first time since the pandemic began, very few people are wearing masks indoors in public spaces. My favorite local game pub has mask wearing at about 20% last time I was in. So how's it going?

We bottomed out of the Omicron surge at about 10 new cases per 100,000 per week with around a 5% positive test rate. The number of hospitalized COVID patients in the county bottomed out at around 15. Not bad at all.

But that was a couple of weeks ago. Now with "let 'er rip" in full swing, our transmission rate has tripled to 30 and our positive rate doubled to 10%. We won't be seeing a positivity rate going forward, as the health district is shutting down its test sites over the weekend. Hospitalized COVID patients are increasing, too. Just a little for now, to 21.

I have a theory about the B.A.2 surge: it will hit those that have been careful to date the hardest. Unlike the Omicron surge, which hit states with low rates of vaccination the hardest, the B.A.2 surge is hitting states with high rates of vaccination the hardest. Right now, the highest rates of increase in cases and hospitalizations is in New England, where rates of vaccination are relatively high. Why? Because all those folks who have been very careful to get vaccinated, wear masks, socially distance, avoid crowded indoor spaces, etc. have been told by the CDC and other government leaders that all you really need is the vaccine and you'll be okay. So 10s of millions of people have abandoned some of the behavioral changes that have kept them safe so far. Will they actually be safe? Well, that's the experiment we're all now part of.

My appointment for shot number 4 is tomorrow. I plan to work from home next week until I see the new numbers on cases and hospitalizations from my health district. I'm also keeping my eye on the neighboring county, which is where my downtown office is. If the numbers go up again, I'm going to assume that let 'er rip is completely FUBAR and hunker down through yet another wave. Except for outdoor activities that don't involve crowds. I'm getting out and hiking this summer -- there are lots of less popular hikes that are on my list.

Ms. Ipsa got number 4 yesterday. Just typical arm soreness.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

So...the Boy had an appointment for this afternoon at a Walgreens store. They sent a text out a few hours ago saying they ran out of vaccine doses. :shock:

He immediately got an appointment for today at a Safeway grocery store pharmacy.

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I got shot number 4 on Saturday morning. I switched things up and got a Pfizer booster after three Modernas. Saturday I had the usual stiff arm and a mild headache. Played board games for about 7 hours and, other than the headache, felt fine. Sunday, more headache and stomach upset. Yesterday about noon I was hit by a train and slept the rest of the day. Today I'm feeling fine. I'd never had a shot that knocked my out quite like yesterday. Maybe mixing Bill Gates microchips and Jeff Bezos microchips wasn't a good idea... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.