Pandemic: Life on the ground

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Pandemic: Life on the ground

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Binger is the perfect object lesson for the article linked below.
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:08 am
And of course because the universe is an infinite recursion this literally just popped up on my Yahoo feed:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/ant ... ?.tsrc=374
But it was, very much, about vaccines. Children’s Health Defense Fund, the political wing of Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.’s anti-vax organization, hosted the event. Kennedy, who has been vocally spreading false claims about vaccine safety for decades, addressed the crowd to offer unsubstantiated warnings of the Covid-19 vaccines’ dangers. So did several doctors, wearing their physician whites, who also touted ivermectin to prevent Covid (it won’t) and rehashed long-debunked studies suggesting vaccines cause autism (it doesn’t). Just days after the CDC released its first study showing vaccine boosters help protect patients against hospitalization from Omicron, Dr. Robert Malone, a virologist and well-known vaccine skeptic, falsely told the crowd: “The science is settled: they’re not working.”
It gets worse:
But I met many more who are new to the movement, like Stephan, a teacher from Santa Cruz, California, who carried a “Teachers Against Mandates” sign. He and his children were “traditionally vaccinated,” he says, but his faith in vaccines changed during the pandemic. He cites Kennedy’s latest book, The Real Anthony Fauci, as key to that conversion. “I’m a full anti-vaxxer now,” he says. Like Liz, he trusts Children’s Health Defense for information — a neighbor he trusts had turned him onto it. Most of the rest of his news comes from conspiracy-adjacent podcasts: The Joe Rogan Experience, No Agenda, and HighWire, whose host, Bigtree, spoke at the rally.

A man from the New York area who declined to give his name told me that though he is new to anti-mandate activism, his ex-wife had taken him to court over his refusal to vaccinate their child. “I won’t let children become clinical trials,” he says.
-_-

- Doc
Retards are gon’ retard.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Looking at the world through the sunset in your eyes
Traveling the train through clear Alabama skies
Ducks, and pigs, and chickens call
Animal carpet wall-to-wall
Southern ladies five-foot three in MAGA red.

Wouldn't you know we're riding on the COVID Express
Wouldn't you know we're riding on the COVID Express
They're taking me to the hospital.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:08 am
And of course because the universe is an infinite recursion this literally just popped up on my Yahoo feed:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/ant ... ?.tsrc=374
But it was, very much, about vaccines. Children’s Health Defense Fund, the political wing of Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.’s anti-vax organization, hosted the event. Kennedy, who has been vocally spreading false claims about vaccine safety for decades, addressed the crowd to offer unsubstantiated warnings of the Covid-19 vaccines’ dangers. So did several doctors, wearing their physician whites, who also touted ivermectin to prevent Covid (it won’t) and rehashed long-debunked studies suggesting vaccines cause autism (it doesn’t). Just days after the CDC released its first study showing vaccine boosters help protect patients against hospitalization from Omicron, Dr. Robert Malone, a virologist and well-known vaccine skeptic, falsely told the crowd: “The science is settled: they’re not working.”
It gets worse:
But I met many more who are new to the movement, like Stephan, a teacher from Santa Cruz, California, who carried a “Teachers Against Mandates” sign. He and his children were “traditionally vaccinated,” he says, but his faith in vaccines changed during the pandemic. He cites Kennedy’s latest book, The Real Anthony Fauci, as key to that conversion. “I’m a full anti-vaxxer now,” he says. Like Liz, he trusts Children’s Health Defense for information — a neighbor he trusts had turned him onto it. Most of the rest of his news comes from conspiracy-adjacent podcasts: The Joe Rogan Experience, No Agenda, and HighWire, whose host, Bigtree, spoke at the rally.

A man from the New York area who declined to give his name told me that though he is new to anti-mandate activism, his ex-wife had taken him to court over his refusal to vaccinate their child. “I won’t let children become clinical trials,” he says.
-_-

- Doc
Looks like you won't have to worry about the life on the ground during a pandemic anymore. Joe Rogan, (who you referenced above and the mention has not been reported as a violation of Universal Rule 4) has been asked to use other words or else. I think that probably if Joe Rogan didn't talk or let people talk it would definitely change the pandemic experience.

Here is what a grown man thinks of that!
https://youtu.be/yRYF8t2swqs?t=2609
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

Binger wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:48 pm
Looks like you won't have to worry about the life on the ground during a pandemic anymore. Joe Rogan, (who you referenced above and the mention has not been reported as a violation of Universal Rule 4) has been asked to use other words or else. I think that probably if Joe Rogan didn't talk or let people talk it would definitely change the pandemic experience.

Here is what a grown man thinks of that!
https://youtu.be/yRYF8t2swqs?t=2609
The problem with Rogan's show is that he only hosts whackadoodles who push the same view. And he has them on over and over and over again. He doesn't host any doctors who can easily debunk their claims.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

K Graham wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:54 pm

The problem with Rogan's show is that he only hosts whackadoodles who push the same view. And he has them on over and over and over again. He doesn't host any doctors who can easily debunk their claims.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Woke up Sunday with a nasty head cold and cough. Isolated in house, which for Omicron means opened windows and every wears N95 or KN95 masks. Negative on home test, but due to rates of false negative, followed county health advice and signed up for PCR test.

We used to test autos for emissions up until last year. The state, in conjunction with local healthcare systems, has refurbished the old test stations for COVID testing. All of the state and county drive through testing stations use an app called Solv for scheduling, and it’s pretty slick.

I drove down to the site yesterday morning. No lines. Was in and out in about 10 minutes. Result was back (negative) in less than 12 hours. Had I been positive, my wife and son would have had to quarantine for five days to avoid spreading the virus to others.

I got quite a chuckle out of Binger’s meme in contrast to Doc’s chart. Both represent the reality on the ground. The reality is that there are breakthrough cases among the triple vaxxed, so if one has COVID symptoms, it’s entirely sensible to get tested. At the same time, Doc’s chat shows that the vaccines are significant tools for reducing serious, life-threatening disease. There’s no contradiction.

Of course, what’s wrong with Binger’s meme is that it implies that the fact that there are breakthrough cases somehow contradicts Doc’s chart. It doesn’t. But it’s the kind of meme that knee-jerk contrarians and anti government types think are clever. And they’re filling the hospitals to overflowing.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:07 pm
Woke up Sunday with a nasty head cold and cough. Isolated in house, which for Omicron means opened windows and every wears N95 or KN95 masks. Negative on home test, but due to rates of false negative, followed county health advice and signed up for PCR test.

We used to test autos for emissions up until last year. The state, in conjunction with local healthcare systems, has refurbished the old test stations for COVID testing. All of the state and county drive through testing stations use an app called Solv for scheduling, and it’s pretty slick.

I drove down to the site yesterday morning. No lines. Was in and out in about 10 minutes. Result was back (negative) in less than 12 hours. Had I been positive, my wife and son would have had to quarantine for five days to avoid spreading the virus to others.

I got quite a chuckle out of Binger’s meme in contrast to Doc’s chart. Both represent the reality on the ground. The reality is that there are breakthrough cases among the triple vaxxed, so if one has COVID symptoms, it’s entirely sensible to get tested. At the same time, Doc’s chat shows that the vaccines are significant tools for reducing serious, life-threatening disease. There’s no contradiction.

Of course, what’s wrong with Binger’s meme is that it implies that the fact that there are breakthrough cases somehow contradicts Doc’s chart. It doesn’t. But it’s the kind of meme that knee-jerk contrarians and anti government types think are clever. And they’re filling the hospitals to overflowing.
The genius of the meme is that it highlights the key question that is still unanswered about Doc's meme. I posted a meme with a clown in a car going to get tested for a virus he (assuming it is a Ronald) is vaccinated against. So, just like you, you drove in a car, to get tested for a virus that you are vaccinated against. You had all the symptoms that are listed on a Nyquil bottle, and you drove in a car, to get tested, for a virus that you are vaccinated against. We still do not know how the data that Doc's meme pretends to represent is accumulated. It is clown information.

Here is an example. Hospitals, after two years, now have designated nursing units to deal with covid+ patients, or patients of interest. These patients may be called PUI or POI, depending on the hospital. Though, with the new so-called tests, they are mostly just + or - patients. Surgery or Med/Surge units will often be organized to be completely negative. In some states, vaccines are required for all the staff. In some networks, vaccines are also required for all the patients in one of these units.

There is a hospital with a specific study happening because, over the course of 24 hours, 17 patients (all vaccinated) out of 24 patients and most of the nursing staff (all vaccinated and re-vaccinated) tested positive. Now, these were all vaccinated patients. None of them were hospitalized for covid. They were all in a hospital with covid. They were all vaccinated.

I am certain that you will not believe my anecdote above, because it does not fit your narrative. That is what information silos do and that is how they organize. I am used to that. Also, you notice that I am not listing patients names, dates, locations, state, networks, symptoms or anything else. Right..... are you getting my effing point?

Also, on the stupid ass meme that Doc posted. What do the pictures quantifiably represent? If a hospital has a 50K square foot facility, or if the network has 50 million square feet and thousands of beds, the conclusions from Doc's meme could be very different. The point is, like other memes, it is meant to appeal to some people and not appeal to others. That was the point of it, and we still do not have the source of the information that Doc's meme represents.

Res, sorry you were sick or worried. I am glad you do not have worse symptoms. And I am laughing that you went and got tested in a car. I hope you wore a red wig and size 48 shoes.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Binger, I have little trust in your anecdote, not because it works against a "narrative" (nice well poisoning by the way), but because your track record of accuracy is dismal. And the meme isn't genius at all. It treats something that is perfectly rational and expected given the facts on the ground and ridicules it for the purpose of getting people to not act rationally. It reflects the arrogance of the knee-jerk contrarian -- nothing more.

I appreciate your well wishes.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Binger
God

Post by Binger »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:30 pm
Binger, I have little trust in your anecdote, not because it works against a "narrative" (nice well poisoning by the way), but because your track record of accuracy is dismal. And the meme isn't genius at all. It treats something that is perfectly rational and expected given the facts on the ground and ridicules it for the purpose of getting people to not act rationally. It reflects the arrogance of the knee-jerk contrarian -- nothing more.

And that is exactly the issue, Res. You dismiss the anecdote, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that it is factual. It was not well poisoning at all. And my track record on this is dismal in your narrow view only.

You are avoiding the issue with Doc's memes, what is the source of the data, how is that data accumulated, what are the criteria for creating white, orange or gray symbols on the meme? You know the source of my meme, a clown car with Ronald McDonald and snark. How is that any different than the meme Doc posted?

In this Pandemic, on the ground, people and institutions are organizing and propagandizing exactly as they are here in this forum. People dismiss or distrust based on what they want to believe and based on their tribe's beliefs, even when other facts and other points of view are valid and relevant.

The church is not "true," by the way, but many people would distrust your explanations and anecdotes if they want to believe that it is true.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:30 pm

It also fails because folks are also required to test to meet certain conditions. In other words, if my child is exposed at school, then we will get that child tested in order to determine any need to adhere to a quarantine period. The child isn’t necessarily being tested to confirm any symptoms at all.

Binger, if his employment claims are correct, would need to undergo tests himself, for the same reason. So he understands that his meme is not ‘genius’ so much as it is disingenuous.