Pandemic: Life on the ground

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Pandemic: Life on the ground

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:53 am
canpakes wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:49 am

Nice!

Over here, we’re running the COVID experiment. Our youngest tested positive a few days ago, and SO tested positive yesterday. Light symptoms so far; just a light cough for the youngster and a rougher cough with some grogginess for SO. We are obviously keeping our fingers crossed.

As we’ve been cooped up touching, breathing and eating all of the same stuff in super-close proximity (I swear that our youngest has coughed point-blank in my face a half-dozen times, too, lol), I’m guessing that it’s only a matter of time before I start to feel some effects from our little virus friend.
I recommend the following if you don’t already have it handy:

Vitamin D x 2/day
Dayquil
Ibuprofen
Weed

- Doc
That's nice. I already take 5K iu's of Vitamin D3 every day. Plus Vitamin C and a daily multi vitamin that contains zinc higher than Mayo Clinic advises for daily intake.

I'm not allowed to take either Dayquil or Ibuprofen. Also not allowed to take sudafed for sinus. :evil:

I *might* be able to take Zicam which some folks report having success with. I can take Mucinex and Tylenol Extra Strength.

with regard to the weed. I have CBD gummies I got for Christmas. I'm not joking. Would that work if I get Omicron or Delatcron that seems to be the next thing coming up at bat? If so, what am I taking them for? To chill out? Sleep?

I figure if we/I start to show symptoms I'm hot footing it to the ER/ED and begging for an infusion. My free tests from state haven't gotten here yet and none of the pharms have them so I'll just go beg my ass off for the monoclonal antibody infusion.

I think I can be pathetic as hell if I put my mind to it. It's kind of like the reverse of my usual advocacy tactics. And I might actually BE pathetic if I get this crap.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:33 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:02 am
Reporting in. Everything is perfectly fine! :)
Whew!!! Good to know.
I'll say! They invited him to swallow a camera, he declined. No joke. Just thought I'd throw in that little fact. ;)
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:36 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

Vitamin D x 2/day
Dayquil
Ibuprofen
Weed

- Doc
That's nice. I already take 5K iu's of Vitamin D3 every day. Plus Vitamin C and a daily multi vitamin that contains zinc higher than Mayo Clinic advises for daily intake.

I'm not allowed to take either Dayquil or Ibuprofen. Also not allowed to take sudafed for sinus. :evil:

When COVID first started making the rounds back in early 2020, we incorporated a bit of extra zinc and D in our otherwise simple multivitamin-a-day routine. We also added a quercetin/bromelain tab, as some research suggested that quercetin assists with zinc uptake by cells.

The ibuprofen and DayQuil are on standby, if needed. We’re hoping that they won’t be. : )
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:35 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

Vitamin D x 2/day
Dayquil
Ibuprofen
Weed

- Doc
How are you feeling, Doc?
Great, thanks for asking. My wife and I were basically pretty sick from the 28th through yesterday. Today we feel like champs, but with a post-Omicron sinus sniffle thing. I don’t do the weedz, but she says it helps. And I don’t know how or why, but I felt like the vitamin D helped. The days I forgot to take it I noticed a bit of a backslide with some pinching in my lungs. Dayquil was awesome for functioning. We also used a sinus spray that’d help with drying out our nasal cavities and made breathing easier. I almost wonder if we got that flurona because this was more intense than what I’m reading people experienced, but I dunno, everything is anecdotal when it comes from an individual.

Also, I recommend drinking a lot of water. I don’t know why it’s important, but it seems to help your system to stay hydrated. The days here and there where I’d forget or be too lazy to keep sipping water seemed to hit me the hardest. Again, anecdotal, but I’m just passing along any information that might be helpful.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

In the past few weeks it seems like a lot of people in the workforce are getting sick. If there is a bright side to the story, it appears that Omicron does not hit as hard as Delta. So we have a milder and more contagious strain. Do I dare say the words herd immunity? For vaccinated people, the survival rate is good. I'm not saying we should all try to get Omicron, but I weirdly feel like there's some light at the end of the tunnel.

I do think that Omicron will be around for a while, but I think it's possible that it becomes something that we live with.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

MeDotOrg wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:07 am
I do think that Omicron will be around for a while, but I think it's possible that it becomes something that we live with.
Possibly and even probably so, but the longer it sticks around, and the more cases there are, the greater is the inevitability that it will eventually shed more mutated strains that are more virulent and dangerous. I realize, though, of course, that the more deadly the strain, and the more quickly it kills its victims, the more limited will be its ability to propagate itself widely.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Gunnar wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:22 am
MeDotOrg wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:07 am
Possibly and even probably so, but the longer it sticks around, and the more cases there are, the greater is the inevitability that it will eventually shed more mutated strains that are more virulent and dangerous. I realize, though, of course, that the more deadly the strain, and the more quickly it kills its victims, the more limited will be its ability to propagate itself widely.
So what you're saying is that I'll never fly in a plane again, right? I'm never going anywhere ever again in my whole entire life, right?

Just gonna live out the rest of my life and then die under these trees. :cry:

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Today, Ms. Ipsa had to go in early to cover a first-period class. The administrators are all covering classrooms because so many teachers are out sick and there are no subs.

One of my gaming friends lives with her elderly parents. They've been very careful. It sounds like her mom has COVID. She spent all day yesterday tracking down an open testing slot. She finally found one for today. Thank heavens they are all vaccinated and boosted.

My son is covering extra shifts at work. His supervisor is complaining that half of his employees are out sick "with the sniffles."

Nobody can predict what things will look like post-omicron. SARS-COVI-2 has not settled down into a pattern that looks anything like an endemic disease. So far, infection hasn't produced sufficient levels of protection to prevent reinfection, so herd immunity may not be possible absent a much higher rate of vaccination in the U.S. And Omicron still has lots of unvaccinated persons in parts of the world to rip through.

This may be our normal for a while: periods of lower transmission punctuated by outbreaks of new variants of varying levels of morbidity and mortality. We should at least be prepared for that. One lesson we should learn from 2021 is that hopium is a dangerous drug when it comes to this pandemic.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

HEADS UP.

Here's the link for your free Covid 19 tests from the Feds. Four tests per address.

https://www.covidtests.gov/

Slava Ukraini!
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

A friend of mine's daughter got on line this morning like it was tickets for a Stones concert. She ordered 4 tests for my household. While riding my bike today, I happened upon a testing station at Market and 18th Street (heart of the Castro district). No one was in line (!). Walked right up and got tested. You scan a code on your phone and they email you the results within 48 hours.

Easy Peasy. Purely anecdotal evidence on my part, but it seems like I'm hearing of a lot more infections in the past 3 weeks. It seems like after nearly 2 years we could let our guard down, but no such luck. I'm now starting to double masks in crowds.

Be careful out there.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land