Pandemic: Life on the ground

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Pandemic: Life on the ground

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Gadianton wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:17 am
Shutting down Omicron may be a bad idea. Might be best to just let it rip; well, it's going to anyway. It's 2-3 times more contagious than Delta, and so good luck not getting it in the next few weeks if you step out of the house for any reason. All accounts so far is cross your fingers, it seems mild. Apparently, it got crossed with a regular flu coronavirus, possibly within the cell of some person who had both Covid and the flu. It could trash Delta.

I'm hesitating on the booster. 60% that I'll get it but not entirely sure. A note came out from Pfizer that T-cell response is about the same with 2 shots vs. 3 for preventing severe illness. And that seems to be the consensus on what the outcome would logically be. It's harder for viruses to evade T-cells, or rather, the proteins in your cells that bring pieces of the virus to the surface for the T-cells to sense. Antibodies get all the press, but the cellular response to viruses is ultimately more important. If you can't produce antibodies, that's not as bad as if the cellular response is defective; that's when you'd have to live in a bubble. The good thing about antibodies is that if we're lucky then they can wipe out the virus before it gets into your cells. That's the gold standard for vaccination, but that hasn't worked that great with Covid. But the T-cell response has been similar for Delta and Wuhan strain even if the anti-body response waned for Delta, at least to my understanding that's true; it's harder to find information on that. So it's not unexpected that T-cell response to Omicron should also be good.

I'm sure when Omicron hits, even if it's mild, we'll swamp hospitals on sheer numbers and so I'm sure its still better if as many people as possible get the vaccinated and boosted to free up resources for the tidal wave. But the reports that the Moderna booster being just as bad as the second shot has got me thinking maybe just risk Omi.
I really appreciate your thoughtful approach to to your decision-making process. The Moderna booster gave me damn near four days of what felt like some sort of fever-flu. I have selfish reasons for wanting a record of my immunizations -> planned travel to Spain in March, and a niece I don’t want to get sick. From what I understand is the booster basically recharges your body’s immunity battery, so it doesn’t get complacent. I could be wrong, but that’s the best way I can frame it in a manner that makes sense to my brain. Am I off on that?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Chap wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:23 am
Gadianton wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:17 am
I'm hesitating on the booster. 60% that I'll get it but not entirely sure.
Please get it. It is extremely unlikely to pose any risk to your health, most people who have it suffer considerably less reaction to the injection than with the first two doses (and in any case the discomfort is transitory, if it happens at all), and it appears very likely to increase your immune response considerably, and protect you from significant disease or hospitalisation.
Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:18 pm
This. Here is what let ‘er rip looks like: https://thecourier.com/news/358174/bvhs ... ecautions/

We’re all sick and tired of wearing masks and social distancing. And health care workers are tired of throwing themselves in harms way. If enough folks give up, we’ll have a country full of hospitals that look like this one.
As part of my collection of 'cute things adults say', this fragment of the Courier report on that hospital overwhelmed and exhausted by the sick unvaccinated caught my eye:
'Two realities'

Lopez said that when he goes out in the community, he is often the only one wearing a mask.

“It’s almost like there’s two realities,” Lopez said: one where the pandemic is over, and then the reality at the hospital.

Gomaa, too, said he thinks there is a “disconnect” between people working in health care and the general public as to what is really going on.

“I believe in this community,” Lopez said, and that people want to do the right thing to keep people from dying. He said the only way to get out of this is together.

And, he said, while there are patients who don’t believe COVID-19 is real, what he hears more frequently is simply that people are “tired of the pandemic.”

Lopez said he gets it — “believe me, we are, too”
How can one express the feelings one experiences on hearing human beings say something so utterly and profoundly dumb as an explanation of why they are not taking simple and unburdensome precautions against catching or transmitting a horribly damaging and possibly fatal disease?

Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

There is information out now that you are right:

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-relea ... on-variant

I don't have the link right now but the most concerning study I'd read showed that hyper-vaccinating against one strain can reduce your antibody response against other strains. I haven't come across anything on that since then, and in the last couple days Pfizer at least is optimistic about the vaccine and omni.

Data on the "Oslo party" shows that everyone was double vaccinated but that wasn't enough to stop it ripping through 120 people, however nobody has gone to the hospital. Would boosters have stopped that spread? And consider, depends on when the person got the booster so they'll be at a different state of immunity when encountering the virus. SA information seems to indicate that even non-vaccinated people aren't getting that sick.

So I guess in my mind its a question of diminishing returns. Is that booster really going to stop the spread when anti-body effectiveness drops so quickly? (yet cellular response is pretty steady, which prevents the severe cases)

I haven't seen anyone talk about this but it seems irresistible to speculate. So, if this is a cross between a flu coronavirus and Covid that outcompetes Delta and then becomes an endemic flu itself, then maybe there's something to those "gain of function" studies where they study deadly virus mutations in vitro -- why not engineer a super infective non-deadly virus and release it on the world? Seems like that's going to be the most practical way forward in the future; a few decades maybe. For now, seems inevitable that omni will dominate, and then we will tune vaccines to fight omni. But in the future, I can't help but wonder if lab-based mutations are the way to go.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Gadianton wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:35 pm
There is information out now that you are right:

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-relea ... on-variant

I don't have the link right now but the most concerning study I'd read showed that hyper-vaccinating against one strain can reduce your antibody response against other strains. I haven't come across anything on that since then, and in the last couple days Pfizer at least is optimistic about the vaccine and omni.

Data on the "Oslo party" shows that everyone was double vaccinated but that wasn't enough to stop it ripping through 120 people, however nobody has gone to the hospital. Would boosters have stopped that spread? And consider, depends on when the person got the booster so they'll be at a different state of immunity when encountering the virus. SA information seems to indicate that even non-vaccinated people aren't getting that sick.

So I guess in my mind its a question of diminishing returns. Is that booster really going to stop the spread when anti-body effectiveness drops so quickly? (yet cellular response is pretty steady, which prevents the severe cases)

I haven't seen anyone talk about this but it seems irresistible to speculate. So, if this is a cross between a flu coronavirus and Covid that outcompetes Delta and then becomes an endemic flu itself, then maybe there's something to those "gain of function" studies where they study deadly virus mutations in vitro -- why not engineer a super infective non-deadly virus and release it on the world? Seems like that's going to be the most practical way forward in the future; a few decades maybe. For now, seems inevitable that omni will dominate, and then we will tune vaccines to fight omni. But in the future, I can't help but wonder if lab-based mutations are the way to go.
I'm not finding information saying that Omicron is a cross between influenza and COVID-19. Influenza viruses aren't coronaviruses, so it seems unlikely. There was a study proposing that Omicron had picked up some code from a cold virus, which seems more plausible, as both are corona viruses. https://www.reuters.com/business/health ... 021-12-03/

Given the rate of vaccine refusal, no vaccine will stop the spread. Slowing the spread is needed to keep the hospital system intact. Anything that reduces risk of spread or getting an infection that requires hospitalization helps slow the spread. Right now, it's really too early to draw firm conclusions about Omicron. That being the case, risk reduction through a booster makes sense to me.

I haven't seen a study that shows vaccinating against one variant will reduce immunity against another. I scanned epi-Twitter last night, and the consensus seems to be "get the booster."

I'm not sure about your speculating about engineering a virus and infecting everyone. Can we engineer a virus guaranteed not to mutate?

ETA: Here's an explanation of how a new variant like Omicron can appear to be less virulent even though its virulence is unchanged.https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1468 ... 89994.html
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I'll have to come back to this in a few days, I'm not on a great device for posting.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Gadianton wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:39 pm
I'll have to come back to this in a few days, I'm not on a great device for posting.
Cool. We’ll be here. Safe travels.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Gadianton wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:35 pm
I haven't seen anyone talk about this but it seems irresistible to speculate.
I know that this is a very small board, but there still are readers enough out there for me to say:

Unless you are a working professional virologist/epidemiologist, please DON'T speculate on this topic. All you are likely to do is just add to the general fog of misinformation and confusion that deters people from taking the only course of action for which there is any solid scientific basis: getting vaccinated now, and if you are already fully vaccinated and are eligible to get boosted, then getting boosted.

And wear a mask, and all the rest of it ... those poor overworked doctors and nurses in overflowing ICU units all round the world will be grateful to you. And it's the least they deserve from us by way of support.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Themis
Elder

Post by Themis »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:50 pm
I'm not sure about your speculating about engineering a virus and infecting everyone. Can we engineer a virus guaranteed not to mutate?
Short answer NO. We already make vaccines similar to this called live-attenuated vaccines. https://www.hhs.gov/immunization/basics ... index.html

The problem I see is a virus in order to be very infectious means both the ability to move from one host to another and the ability to replicate well in our bodies. It's the replication part that is the problem. Virus's like to turn our cells into virus factories, which keep the cell from doing it's main Job. With Covid 19 it likes to infect our lung cells. Too many of them becoming virus factories means less oxygen being taken into the body and why many die from lack of oxygen that all our organs need to function.

ETA: Here's an explanation of how a new variant like Omicron can appear to be less virulent even though its virulence is unchanged.https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1468 ... 89994.html
It reminds me of a lot of people being manipulated to believe the delta variant was less deadly because it killed less people than the other variants. They didn't think that the other variants were spreading and killing people before vaccines were available, while the delta variant came out after they were widely available and our most vulnerable were highly vaccinated. It turned out delta variant was more virulent, but hopefully Omicron is less virulent.

One idea I had is to use a tool some bacteria has to edit it's genetic information that creates a tool to cut certain sections of RNA/DNA it come across in our cells. It's used today as CAS9 crispr. It looks like research is going on in this area.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases ... op-viruses
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:50 pm
Given the rate of vaccine refusal, no vaccine will stop the spread.
We still have bleach and Ivermectin suppositories.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Chap wrote:Unless you are a working professional virologist/epidemiologist, please DON'T speculate on this topic.
And the speculation has begun as of yesterday -- from your side of the pond, even:
Eleanor Riley, a professor of immunology and infectious diseases at the University of Edinburgh, said that Britons are "very likely" to contract the variant "in the next couple of weeks".

"Everybody’s very likely to experience it in the next few weeks. If it is milder, and we know infection induces an immune response, [so] it is possible that this could act as a natural vaccine, getting to those people who have so far been unwilling to be vaccinated," Prof Riley told BBC Radio 4.

"But I think we have to exercise a huge degree of caution with that, because there’s a huge ‘if’ about this ‘is it milder?’ And I think it’s very dangerous to compare data from South Africa to the UK. In the South African population there’s been so many waves of infection they’ve gone through, lots of immunity and a much younger population."
A wise man brought this to our attention at the outset of the virus:
Chap wrote:Listening to the BBC today, I heard an immunologist make a clear statement about what governments are really trying to do with COVID-19 - and which, in fact, they currently have no alternative to doing. But they can't say it openly, because it does not sound at all good. I was already aware of the science behind this, but I had not yet seen it so clearly put together and stated so starkly. Here it is:

Governments know that it is not only inevitable that a large part of their populations will be infected with and suffer illness from COVID-19 - they actually need this to happen, because (in the absence of any vaccine), it is the only way to eliminate the virus from their population.
Now let's tweak this sentiment just a little: substitute "in the absence of a vaccine" to "in the absence of a rational population willing to get the vaccine". How best might we achieve herd immunity? And will there be a better bet around the corner than Omicron?

Indeed, the instructions from authorities are still to get the vaccine, I never said otherwise. I even said I was "60%" likely to get the booster, which is more likely than not. Another factor I neglected to mention, is that we're on a fast track for a Omicron specific booster by March if not sooner, and since I work from home and barely mingle with society indoors, I might rather wait, rather than get a booster now and another three months later.

To speculate further, If the United States leads the world into a new era of right-wing politics, I can foresee a backlash to mandatory vaccination as extreme as banning vaccinations altogether along with banning abortion. If we have no deep state now, then Ajax and his ilk may force the creation of a deep state: a secret shadow government that keeps society more or less on track while right-wing jack asses build a public world based on thirteenth century ideas. In such a situation, genetically engineering viruses to unleash on the public may be the only way to save humanity. Another political risk to Omicron is that if Omicron ends the pandemic, then right-wingers will just assume the next time around we should lead people die because the outcome is inevitable. Well, without the vaccines and social distancing, the deaths would have been much worse thus far, and also, an Omicron next time around might kill 20% of the population before it works itself out. It's a crap shoot.

As Res points out, there would be a huge number of unknowns to gain-of-function cross-breeding with less harmful viruses, including moral ones, but I think we'll hear more about it. The greatest unknown I think, is predicting the severity of disease based on virus structure. Infecting cell lines to the extent it mimics infecting actual organisms doesn't help understand overall severity to health of the organism.

The Omicron mutation sequence comes from common cold, as Res said.

I am not at my normal computer and so the paper on immunity tradeoffs when vaccinating heavily against one strain will be a couple more days.

The Pfizer summary I linked to that came out the day I posted last says that the current vaccine works against Omicron. That was an open question because in SA, Omicron is evading natural immunity. Of course, putting it that way is misleading because as mentioned last time, just like vaccine immunity, the antibody response is only half the story, and not the most important half when considering severe disease. It's harder for viruses to evade humanity's collective cellular response than it is to evade antibodies. I'll find something Covid specific on that later.

I guess what that means for me is that, there is a selfish and a selfless reason to get vaccinated, and I think we're approaching the point where vaccination is more for selfless reasons, for those who are already fully vaccinated or who have recovered from Covid. That doesn't mean that in the long run it isn't selfish - that's the coordination problem though. when everybody has to act to prevent harm to others and only benefit indirectly.