Pandemic: Life on the ground

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Pandemic: Life on the ground

Post by Jersey Girl »

canpakes wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:58 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:40 pm

Oh wow! That wasn't horrible! Did any meds help with the headaches and if so, what? Oh and did you have to take something for the lung yuck?

No meds aside from ibuprofen. They did work on the headaches, just not terribly quickly.
Oh okay. I'm trying to make sure we've got a good arsenal in the event that we get it. I kind of expect to get it at this point. I am not allowed to take Ibuprofen (I miss it!) and will be seeing a medical professional next weekend where I'll ask if I can trade out one of the meds I take (anticoagulant) for aspirin (250mg plus tylenol 250mg) temporarily if I get Omicron.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:26 pm
canpakes wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:58 pm

No meds aside from ibuprofen. They did work on the headaches, just not terribly quickly.
Oh okay. I'm trying to make sure we've got a good arsenal in the event that we get it. I kind of expect to get it at this point. I am not allowed to take Ibuprofen (I miss it!) and will be seeing a medical professional next weekend where I'll ask if I can trade out one of the meds I take (anticoagulant) for aspirin (250mg plus tylenol 250mg) temporarily if I get Omicron.

Doc mentioned DayQuil, and that uses acetominophen, so you might add that to your arsenal. But, check for it now before you get any symptoms; this (and just about every other similar-style/cough suppressant medicine) was totally cleaned out at our local Target about a week ago. We’ve got a bit of an infection surge going on in our area, but I’ve never seen that section so cleaned out before!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

canpakes wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:37 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:26 pm

Doc mentioned DayQuil, and that uses acetominophen, so you might add that to your arsenal. But, check for it now before you get any symptoms; this (and just about every other similar-style/cough suppressant medicine) was totally cleaned out at our local Target about a week ago. We’ve got a bit of an infection surge going on in our area, but I’ve never seen that section so cleaned out before!
Definitely DayQuil. I used Excederin, nasal spray to keep them cavities open n’ flowin’, lots of water, honey lemon tea with real lemon*, I took Vitamin D twice a day, obviously lots of rest, the wife took multivitamins, ate only nutritious whole foods, and she smoked weed. If you’re not a weed person I’d suggest some CBD.

* I suspect citric acid is good for your immune system

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

There's a bazillion types of Dayquil. Can one of you guys link me to the one you have in mind?

ETA: I take 4 regular meds each day. I have to watch out for interactions.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

With the Dayquil, are you talking about congestion? I'm only allowed to take Mucinex.

Slava Ukraini!
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

canpakes wrote:
As far as I can tell, I have not yet had covid, but I know from past experience that DayQuil and NightQuil both seem to help with the congestion and probably the headaches. I'm not as sure about the headaches, because in my case, though I didn't experience headaches while taking them, I'm not sure I can attribute that to those medications because I rarely experience headaches for any reason other than being hit on the head. I seem to be peculiarly immune from getting headaches for most ordinary causes. I have never, ever experienced anything like a migraine, for example, as described by my wife or daughter, who both suffer from them occasionally.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:55 am
With the Dayquil, are you talking about congestion? I'm only allowed to take Mucinex.

We had about one capful of the ‘Cold and Flu’ type still left in the cupboard. It seemed to help a bit with both the cough and headache, but not so much with any congestion.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

canpakes wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:15 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:55 am

We had about one capful of the ‘Cold and Flu’ type still left in the cupboard. It seemed to help a bit with both the cough and headache, but not so much with any congestion.

We have an appointment next Saturday for the Boy over here. It happens to be with my primary. I'm going to co opt the end of the appointment to get the advice I need. I have to be careful with drug interactions. I think I would be safe discontinuing the anti coagulant and replacing it with high dose aspirin. I MISS aspirin and Sudafed SO much! :cry: :cry: :cry:

So...someone mentioned Nyquil. I positively NEVER take Nyquil because it tends to drive congestion right into the lungs and makes it gunk up in there. Not good! It's a recipe for bronchitis at least for me.

I looked up the active ingredients in Dayquil, I might be able to take that. I'll ask. I never take any of these things because I never get sick. I saw that we have Dayquil in the cupboard. Listen, if I start to have symptoms I'll just slam a dose of that and see what happens.

My plan of attack (infusion) was thwarted on account of the fact that they've RUN OUT of supplies. :shock: I'm not sure where we stand with the Pfizer anti viral pills right now either so far as availability goes.

I'll be careful and just pray that I don't get Covid before next weekend and hope for the be best Melania.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Gunnar wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:09 am
canpakes wrote:
As far as I can tell, I have not yet had covid, but I know from past experience that DayQuil and NightQuil both seem to help with the congestion and probably the headaches. I'm not as sure about the headaches, because in my case, though I didn't experience headaches while taking them, I'm not sure I can attribute that to those medications because I rarely experience headaches for any reason other than being hit on the head. I seem to be peculiarly immune from getting headaches for most ordinary causes. I have never, ever experienced anything like a migraine, for example, as described by my wife or daughter, who both suffer from them occasionally.
Migraine. I swear to you this is true. At the very first sign (I used to see an aura--vision disturbance as the first sign) IMMEDIATELY take Excedrine or just aspirin or Tylenol or combo aspirin and Tylenol (250 mgs each) if that's all you have and swallow it down with a cup of coffee or tea. Anything with caffeine.

I was prescribed medication for migraines years ago that did positively NOTHING for the migraine. I found out by accident one day at work when I was getting ready to leave (because I couldn't drive if I couldn't see) happened to take some aspirin as a pre-emptive strike and drank the rest of the cup of tea on my desk.

The headache was GONE in minutes. GONE. Before I even got to the gate of the installation, it was GONE.

Fast forward, my migraines were often triggered by light. Twice in the past 5 years, I have seen the aura and immediately took Tylenol with tea. I'm not allowed to take aspirin. The aura was gone in minutes. The last time was about a month ago when I filled a floor lamp with grow lights and turned them all on at once...aura came right into my eyes!

I SWEAR TO YOU...do the aspirin or aspirin with tylenol and drink it down with caffeine...you just made yourself Excedrin and it works for me every single time.

Slava Ukraini!
Gunnar
God

Post by Gunnar »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:44 am
I SWEAR TO YOU...do the aspirin or aspirin with tylenol and drink it down with caffeine...you just made yourself Excedrin and it works for me every single time.
Though I may never have to use that advice for myself, given my apparent immunity to headaches of nearly all types, I thank you for it anyway. If I ever have a real migraine, I hope I have some Excedrin on hand.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.