Pandemic: Life on the ground

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Pandemic: Life on the ground

Post by Jersey Girl »

Last night I decided to make the command decision everyone in the family is waiting for me to make. The other day when JB pressed me to decide and I asked "Why me?", "Because you're the one who makes the decisions."

So I am.

We're separating for both Thanksgiving and C'mas. I don't care how sad it makes us all feel. This family is going to make it's own fun and enjoy a relaxing day at home...apart. I bet we'll all even like it for a change. Give in to it. Go with it. Hibernate.

What really got to me last night was the thought of spending Thanksgiving together then in the next 2 weeks driving ourselves crazy at any sign of a cough or sneeze, wondering if we got the virus and/or god forbid, got someone else sick.

I don't want us to be making funeral arrangements on Christmas.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:00 pm
We're separating for both Thanksgiving and C'mas.
Did it and done.

Got a copy of the local school district email. Due to multiple quarantines and rolling cases of Covid in students, staff and contacts, it looks like they're shutting the whole thing down and going to e-learning. They said a decision will be forthcoming. I'm sure this email was a heads up leading to a shut down announcement because they can't function under these conditions. I know how administrators have to pave the way before making an announcement like that. Other area districts have already gone exclusively to e-school.

The writing is on the wall.
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
subgenius
Stake President

Post by subgenius »

Good news is that Governor Gavin Newsom doesn't think its that bad...i mean, you need to bend over and obey, but he and his family are not scared at all.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

subgenius wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:27 am
Unrelated blather
Find the topic and get on it.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:48 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:00 pm
We're separating for both Thanksgiving and C'mas.
Did it and done.

Got a copy of the local school district email. Due to multiple quarantines and rolling cases of Covid in students, staff and contacts, it looks like they're shutting the whole thing down and going to e-learning. They said a decision will be forthcoming. I'm sure this email was a heads up leading to a shut down announcement because they can't function under these conditions. I know how administrators have to pave the way before making an announcement like that. Other area districts have already gone exclusively to e-school.

The writing is on the wall.
Yep. Going to e-learning until just before winter break then winter break will kick in until after the New Year. Makes sense to me.

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Here are our increased restrictions for the next month: https://www.governor.Washington.gov/sites/defau ... ctions.pdf

I think of this as "if we all shape up, we can have Christmas."
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Walmart announced it is limiting the number of customers permitted in stores. Others will have to wait outside in lines. Where we live, waiting outside in winter isn't going to work out very well. Grocery pick up is sure to explode. I am sure other stores have already begun limiting numbers inside the stores. I know Hobby Lobby already started this where we are.

If you are able to get grocery delivery, I envy you! No one delivers to the remote areas! Good thing I hauled in a ton of food storage supplies before this went crazy.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:19 am
Here are our increased restrictions for the next month: https://www.governor.Washington.gov/sites/defau ... ctions.pdf

I think of this as "if we all shape up, we can have Christmas."
I am thinking that Christmas might be possible if we all tow the line. Not sure about my family, but overall, it might work out. We still have 2 family members who are out in "circulation" so to speak.

Hallelujah! Holy crap! Where's the Tylenol?

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:24 am
Walmart announced it is limiting the number of customers permitted in stores. Others will have to wait outside in lines. Where we live, waiting outside in winter isn't going to work out very well. Grocery pick up is sure to explode. I am sure other stores have already begun limiting numbers inside the stores. I know Hobby Lobby already started this where we are.

If you are able to get grocery delivery, I envy you! No one delivers to the remote areas! Good thing I hauled in a ton of food storage supplies before this went crazy.
Our retail stores have been at a reduced capacity level since our original stay at home order. As counties advanced in phases, the capacity limits were raised. I went to Best Buy to pick up a new keyboard about a week ago and waited outside the store for just a couple minutes. I haven’t had to wait outside a grocery store at all. I think the new ceiling is only 5% lower, so I don’t expect a major impact.

Lots of grocery delivery available here. I haven’t used it. My little corner of my county still has very low rates of COVID.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:27 am
I am thinking that Christmas might be possible if we all toe the line. Not sure about my family, but overall, it might work out. We still have 2 family members who are out in "circulation" so to speak.
I’m thinking that Trump might’ve been on to something when he said that we’d be ‘back to normal’ by Easter. He just had the wrong year.