Pandemic: Life on the ground

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Pandemic: Life on the ground

Post by Jersey Girl »

We're in level Red starting Friday. That means lock down. That means stay the hell home. Did I call it or what?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:53 pm
We're in level Red starting Friday. That means lock down. That means stay the hell home. Did I call it or what?
Oh wait. Level red means stay the hell home unless you're the mayor of Denver. Then it's do as I say, not as I do. Also governors...
Denver mayor apologizes for Thanksgiving travel plan
By Lauren M. Johnson, Kay Jones and Jeremy Harlan, CNN

Updated 8:32 PM ET, Wed November 25, 2020

(CNN)Denver Mayor Michael Hancock is asking for forgiveness after coming under fire for his upcoming holiday plans.

Hours after encouraging Denver residents to avoid Thanksgiving travel, the city's mayor office confirmed he is flying to Mississippi to spend the holiday with his daughter and wife, according to his office.

"I recognize that my decision has disappointed many who believe it would have been better to spend Thanksgiving alone," Hancock said in a statement released by his office. "As a public official, whose conduct is rightly scrutinized for the message it sends to others, I apologize to the residents of Denver who see my decision as conflicting with the guidance to stay at home for all but essential travel. I made my decision as a husband and father, and for those who are angry and disappointed, I humbly ask you to forgive decisions that are borne of my heart and not my head."

The apology comes after he posted a tweet on Wednesday morning stating that avoiding travel is a way to help reduce the spread of Covid-19 over the Thanksgiving holiday.

The city also encouraged residents to only host Thanksgiving dinners with members of their immediate household.
In a statement previously sent to CNN, Hancock's spokesperson, Mike Strott, that Hancock "will follow all necessary health and safety guidance and quarantine" upon his return to Denver.

According to the latest data provided by the city's health department, there are 33,971 total reported cases of Covid-19 in Denver since the start of the pandemic.

Hancock isn't the only local leader who's not heeded their own advice.

Earlier this month, California Gov. Gavin Newsom received backlash after he and his wife attended a birthday party at the French Laundry restaurant with a dozen others from several different households despite state health guidelines recommending against such gatherings amid a surge in Covid-19 infections.

Newsom apologized for his attendance, acknowledging that he should be practicing what he preaches.

"I made a bad mistake," Newsom said. "Instead of sitting down, I should have stood up, walked back to my car and drove home."

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo canceled his plans after facing criticism for planning to have a holiday meal with his 86-year-old mother and two of his daughters amid escalating numbers of Covid-19 cases.

The governor had previously warned New Yorkers who plan on holding Thanksgiving celebrations as usual that it was dangerous given that the virus can spread in large indoor gatherings.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/25/us/denve ... index.html
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Happy (sort of) Thanksgiving to everyone on MDB. Thankful for a family that is healthy and loves each other enough to stay away from each other. Thankful even for the challenges of this year that have grown us as individuals.

Thankful for our only guest. His name is Buck now. He owns us. Currently napping under the art clothesline. Maybe he wants to paint? ;-)

Slava Ukraini!
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:52 pm
Happy (sort of) Thanksgiving to everyone on MDB.
Likewise, Jersey Girl - I hope that your day is wonderful.

As I hope it is for everyone here. :)
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Thanks canpakes and the same to you and yours!

Just in case anyone thinks I make stuff up. Here is this year's entry in the tribal gingerbread house contest. :lol: This year's judge for the virtual contest is located in Arizona.

Slava Ukraini!
ajax18
God

Post by ajax18 »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:00 pm
Have any of you gotten the nose test done, yet? My wife and I got tested because she was exposed to a nurse who was contagious six days ago. Let me tell you, that mf'er stings. I had NO idea how sensitive our nasal cavities are. It's funny because afterward we were laughing about it, and I was like, "Man, I feel kind of emotional right now. That crap hurt." And then my wife was like, "Yeah, my feelings are hurt." Lol.

Anyway. Free and clear of the virus - same day results which is awesome.

But, yeah. I'm a little paranoid about catching it. My neighbor Jose likes to come over while drunk or high and tell me about whatever is running through his brain in the moment, and he doesn't believe in personal space. He has buddies over at this house, and they aren't taking any precautions whatsoever. I suggested to them, because they're all old and in ill health, to follow some common sense guidelines, but they just laughed it off. I mean, that's their prerogative, but I'm fairly certain if one of them catches it, they're all going to be hospitalized. They're drunk every day and they smoke weed every day, too. That said, I acknowledge the odds are in their favor so I'm hoping when reality shows up in their house they pull through. They're all good people.

- Doc
Drunk every day, smoke weed every day? YEAH that's some really good people. Probably have 15 illegitimate children a piece they know nothing about and work odd jobs for pay under the table so as not to jeopardize their monthly disability checks.

But it's those damn people going to work or Church that are killing us all by spreading Covid.

How much better off are your blue states than we are in red states thanks to the extra restrictions? I guess it's a moot point since most of you don't work anyway.
And when the Confederates saw Jackson standing fearless like a stonewall, the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

ajax18 wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:41 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:00 pm
Have any of you gotten the nose test done, yet? My wife and I got tested because she was exposed to a nurse who was contagious six days ago. Let me tell you, that mf'er stings. I had NO idea how sensitive our nasal cavities are. It's funny because afterward we were laughing about it, and I was like, "Man, I feel kind of emotional right now. That crap hurt." And then my wife was like, "Yeah, my feelings are hurt." Lol.

Anyway. Free and clear of the virus - same day results which is awesome.

But, yeah. I'm a little paranoid about catching it. My neighbor Jose likes to come over while drunk or high and tell me about whatever is running through his brain in the moment, and he doesn't believe in personal space. He has buddies over at this house, and they aren't taking any precautions whatsoever. I suggested to them, because they're all old and in ill health, to follow some common sense guidelines, but they just laughed it off. I mean, that's their prerogative, but I'm fairly certain if one of them catches it, they're all going to be hospitalized. They're drunk every day and they smoke weed every day, too. That said, I acknowledge the odds are in their favor so I'm hoping when reality shows up in their house they pull through. They're all good people.

- Doc
Drunk every day, smoke weed every day? YEAH that's some really good people. Probably have 15 illegitimate children a piece they know nothing about and work odd jobs for pay under the table so as not to jeopardize their monthly disability checks.

But it's those damn people going to work or Church that are killing us all by spreading Covid.

How much better off are your blue states than we are in red states thanks to the extra restrictions? I guess it's a moot point since most of you don't work anyway.
Ajax how could you not understand what this thread is about? Try to get with it, okay?

Slava Ukraini!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

They work. The difference between Jose and you is that Jose is currently unironically flying the American flag.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Locally...I noticed one of our residents giving away clothing and holiday lights to anyone in need in the community. They went like hotcakes. Gave me a good idea... :)

Slava Ukraini!
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

This was a pretty good Thanksgiving. Usually our place becomes a dinner for Thanksgiving orphans - people who will be on their own that year for whatever reason. We usually have anywhere from two to ten people over. This year, because of the pandemic (and because we've recently moved to another part of the country and don't know as many people yet), it was just my wife, daughter and me. I can't remember the last time it was just the three of us, if ever.

I've got to say, it was nice to just be with them this holiday. Made me grateful.

Don't get me wrong; I'm looking forward to wide distribution of the vaccine as anyone. I'm just saying a small Thanksgiving was a nice change.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.