Pandemic: Life on the ground

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Gunnar
God

Re: Pandemic: Life on the ground

Post by Gunnar »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:04 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:17 pm
Oh that is crazy. I'm happy you got it and it's behind you. I feel 100% today. Again, only the fatigue. I don't care if I have to get boosted every 6 months for the rest of my entire life. It's worth it to me.
Definitely worth it. I would not want to have a bad case of COVID. I'll take the minor inconvenience of vaccination over that any day.
I also got my booster (third shot) as soon as I was eligible, and experienced no more discomfort than with the first two shots, perhaps even a little less. My arm was sore for about 2 or 3 days, and that was it. I had more and longer discomfort with my shingles shots.
No precept or claim is more suspect or more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

One if our non-vaccinated friends died. Went to hospital on Monday, on ventilator on Wednesday, and dead on Friday.
Sure wish our son would get a vaccine.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Xenophon
Savior (resurrected state)

Post by Xenophon »

Our company has been reluctant to enforce any sort of vaccine mandate. We've offered lots of incentives to get it but very few punishments for not having it. It has shown as well, despite lots of rewards for it we only recently hit about 40% with at least 1 shot (highly reflective of the regions we operate in). Our insurance company has effectively forced our hand though.

Starting in January there will be a $1200 yearly surcharge for not having proof of your vaccination. For many this may be a hill worth paying this tax but I already know several adamant refusers who now are getting theirs. For the lowest on the totem pole this is likely too much to ride out.

Given the increase of countries that are informing the non-stuck that their hospital bills will no longer be comped I'm curious when American insurance companies will make the same move.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Xenophon wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:06 pm
Given the increase of countries that are informing the non-stuck that their hospital bills will no longer be comped I'm curious when American insurance companies will make the same move.
That would be awesome. I'd love to see how much people are willing to pay for their freedumb.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Xenophon

Post by Xenophon »

Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:09 pm
That would be awesome. I'd love to see how much people are willing to pay for their freedumb.
The bread winner in me wants them out of my risk pool but the human in me can't help but feel sad for them.

Probably also worth pointing out that they likely already are paying for it. Regardless of if they get a surcharge it is likely their premiums are going up anyways. Not to mention that most people I know who had to be hospitalized end up owing quite a bit out of pocket even when they have decent insurance.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Xenophon wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:47 pm
Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:09 pm
The bread winner in me wants them out of my risk pool but the human in me can't help but feel sad for them.
Both the bread winner and the human in me want them out of the risk pool, because if they are motivated by avoiding losing money, it will force them to do the right thing and protect all the other humans around them.

I'm fine with people choosing not to get the vaccine so long as they stay isolated forever. We know that won't happen, so I have no sympathy for anyone choosing not to get the jab. AFAIC, they are selfish pricks and easily conned.
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon »

Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:03 pm
I'm fine with people choosing not to get the vaccine so long as they stay isolated forever. We know that won't happen, so I have no sympathy for anyone choosing not to get the jab. AFAIC, they are selfish pricks and easily conned.
Make no mistake I obviously want them to get vaxxed. I just work and live among a population that as a majority has elected not to. When I hear their stories I can't help but feel sorry for them. The grift is very real and life didn't prepare them to sort through the BS well enough to see it. You can say they are easily conned but I think that doesn't do justice to the position they are in and the bill of goods they were sold.

I recognize that my default is probably too empathetic. But I can't help but feel for those that have been lied to. Maybe they want to be ignorant of the point, but that doesn't undo all the piles of crap they were sold before that brought us to this point.
He/Him

― Xenophon
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Xenophon wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:18 pm
Make no mistake I obviously want them to get vaxxed. I just work and live among a population that as a majority has elected not to. When I hear their stories I can't help but feel sorry for them. The grift is very real and life didn't prepare them to sort through the BS well enough to see it. You can say they are easily conned but I think that doesn't do justice to the position they are in and the bill of goods they were sold.

I recognize that my default is probably too empathetic. But I can't help but feel for those that have been lied to. Maybe they want to be ignorant of the point, but that doesn't undo all the piles of crap they were sold before that brought us to this point.
I understand your perspective.

I also understand something fundamental about myself, which is that I have very little patience for foolishness. These people are playing with a bomb they know very little about, and I'm not so much worried about them as I am the people around them. Yes, being vaccinated significantly lowers your chances of infection, but not to zero. I worry about the health of the people doing it right, not the people doing it wrong.

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon »

Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:34 pm
I worry about the health of the people doing it right, not the people doing it wrong
And that we can agree on 100%. I wish my company had done more, I'm glad our insurance will be forcing many hands, I hope the federal mandate is upheld. My sadness for the victims of the grift doesn't preclude me from embracing measures to force them to more directly evaluate their stance and perhaps decide on the greater good even if only for their own monetary gain.
He/Him

― Xenophon
Some Schmo
God

Post by Some Schmo »

Xenophon wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:38 pm
Some Schmo wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:34 pm
I worry about the health of the people doing it right, not the people doing it wrong
And that we can agree on 100%. I wish my company had done more, I'm glad our insurance will be forcing many hands, I hope the federal mandate is upheld. My sadness for the victims of the grift doesn't preclude me from embracing measures to force them to more directly evaluate their stance and perhaps decide on the greater good even if only for their own monetary gain.
I thought as much. You've given me some hope today. After your post, I noticed the article about Singapore no longer giving free healthcare to unvaccinated COVID sufferers, and I thought that it was the absolute best way to motivate people to take care of themselves. US insurance companies absolutely should do this. Hell, they've had way worse reasons to withhold claims.