Pandemic: Life on the ground

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Pandemic: Life on the ground

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

103k, a new record. Utah busted 2k again. Over 52k are hospitalized.

My neighbor wanted me to come over to his house today and smoke weed. I politely declined. No way I’m going be neighborly with anyone, much less smoke weed with them presumably using their weed pipes. It’s kind of weird observing people who are 100% carefree. I genuinely believe if he caught the covid he’d be mystified as to why he’s sick. I swear to god I saw the grim reaper flying circles above his house today.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Don't people roll joints any more?
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Yep. We just got ratcheted up to a higher level of "high risk" restrictions effective Friday. The next step is full on stay-the-hell-home orders.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:15 am
Yep. We just got ratcheted up to a higher level of "high risk" restrictions effective Friday. The next step is full on stay-the-hell-home orders.
We got our warning yesterday. I’m not optimistic.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:14 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:15 am
Not optimistic about what? Compliance?

I actually welcome the restrictions. I strongly believe that we need them right now in order to carry us to the point where vaccines become available. It's possible that periodically upgrading restrictions then lowering them could also work. I absolutely expect to be in full on stay at home orders soon.

Speaking only for myself, I welcome it.

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:11 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:14 am

I actually welcome the restrictions. I strongly believe that we need them right now in order to carry us to the point where vaccines become available. It's possible that periodically upgrading restrictions then lowering them could also work. I absolutely expect to be in full on stay at home orders soon.

Not optimistic that people will change their behavior enough to avoid another partial lockdown. Not optimistic that people will comply with another partial lockdown. Not optimistic that my friend's game-pub business will survive another lockdown.

Personally, it doesn't affect me at all. Except for my stint as a census worker, I've been living as if we were still locked down. Both my wife and I can work remotely. But we're lucky that way, and there are lots who aren't.
he/him

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:14 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:11 am

Not optimistic that people will change their behavior enough to avoid another partial lockdown. Not optimistic that people will comply with another partial lockdown. Not optimistic that my friend's game-pub business will survive another lockdown.

Personally, it doesn't affect me at all. Except for my stint as a census worker, I've been living as if we were still locked down. Both my wife and I can work remotely. But we're lucky that way, and there are lots who aren't.
I hear you, RI. People are weary of a great many things right now and that includes the pandemic and all it's influence in our lives. You and Mrs. RI are fortunate that you can work remote. I have, for the most part, been living like we're in lockdown too, with the understanding that it's really not lock down but isolation. I've been in actual lockdown and this is not that. I'm thankful for the trips I managed to make to stores I like (mainly craft stores) but I don't hang out there. I've been putting away art supplies like a squirrel storing nuts for winter!

Thankful, too, that we have the funds that allowed me to be able to create a food/supplies storage bit by little bit over summer. The last trip was a 500$ fill-the-freezer haul. I had always planned to do that and decided the time was right for H'ween weekend to do that, as I saw the number of new cases starting to climb. I think my timing was good in that regard. If we have to lockdown tomorrow, we're all set and that is a good feeling. It's the only thing I really have much control over. And we have the means to help the kids do the same if they need it.

Most of what I have done to prepare are things I do anyway prior to winter. The difference being that I ramped up efforts in food storage this time like my life depends on it.

Our local school district just shut down a school that is relevant to our family. I so appreciate the way the school districts are handling this. So, our student had about 3 solid weeks back in class and hopefully enough interaction to spur on E-learning until they can return to class--which who knows how long that could take. In the beginning, the school district scrambled to get E-learning up and running. The curriculum, for lack of a better word, was insulting to our learner. Since being in class, the E-learning is now the actual class continuing together remotely. I would caution any parent to keep an eye on their learner's mental health. If you think we adults are frustrated, just imagine how our students are feeling.

With this new level of restrictions effective Friday, I've seen many comments on Facebook under the news report saying how one person or another better get out there and do their C'mas shopping right away. These have to be people who don't follow the trackers. That's the only explanation for why they have been caught unaware. I started C'mas shopping back in summer. Just finished with one final item last night online. If we have to deliver and meet up on driveways, Mama Jersey over here has it all covered. That matters to me. :-)

I'm very sorry about the game/pub place that is your favorite. So many businesses have been able to adapt to restrictions, I don't know how a pub can really do that and do justice to it when interactive (I assume) games are part of the offerings. I wonder if they can come up with innovation in that regard? If you think of something, don't hesitate to pitch the idea to them!

All things considered I feel good about everything right now. I know I can't completely rule out getting sick ourselves, but it won't be for lack of trying. I put a lot of effort into planning this time, because I had time to do that. And now...we land and keep riding this thing out.

:-)

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Just found this on how to approach Thanksgiving. Helpful ideas. Something I thought about when our learner got grounded back to e-school. That's one more family member out of the game and 2 weeks in advance of the holiday. We are leaning towards separating this year, but still, something to consider. We still have 2 family members currently in the workplace and one an intermittent volunteer. Hmmm...maybe we can get that volunteer out of circulation. 8-) But still, I am not convinced that the benefit outweighs the risk of one of us becoming infected. You don't want to spend the holidays with a dead family member.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/12/health/w ... index.html

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:32 pm
Just found this on how to approach Thanksgiving. Helpful ideas. Something I thought about when our learner got grounded back to e-school. That's one more family member out of the game and 2 weeks in advance of the holiday. We are leaning towards separating this year, but still, something to consider. We still have 2 family members currently in the workplace and one an intermittent volunteer. Hmmm...maybe we can get that volunteer out of circulation. 8-) But still, I am not convinced that the benefit outweighs the risk of one of us becoming infected. You don't want to spend the holidays with a dead family member.

Yeah, killing grandma is a lousy Christmas present.
he/him

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:54 am
Jersey Girl wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:32 pm

Yeah, killing grandma is a lousy Christmas present.
Right? Don't want the family gathering to be a funeral.

I ran out to pick up something I had ordered online. On the way home, I decided to dart into Hobby Lobby, one of my favorites. I was stooping down picking out floral stuff (and counting them) from the lowest bin to the floor. A younger adult shopper came RIGHT beside me and started pulling from the same bin. :o I snatched out the last 3 and got out of there. I think that's my final trip there for the time being. I really don't want to die for 50% off.

Slava Ukraini!