Pandemic: Life on the ground

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Some Schmo
God

Re: Pandemic: Life on the ground

Post by Some Schmo »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:00 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:32 pm
Wow. Maybe the fact that at the beginning of Trump’s last year there were no COVID deaths per day in the US, while Biden inherited a full blown Pandemic with a crapload of deaths per day has something to do with death totals. Or that certain governors worked very hard to make sure that their constituents were infected after Biden took office had something to do with the death totals. Weak, sir.
I love how Ajax would rather have a president who advocated malaria medicine and injecting Clorox bleach in people because, you know, that would have been more effective.
I honestly have no idea what ajax really thinks. It wouldn't surprise me at all if I found out he has no idea what he thinks either.

It's impossible for me to take him seriously, because I just can't imagine anyone seriously thinking like his posts imply.

Sometimes, I like to imagine he's satirizing right-wing thought. That's what actually makes the most sense to me, but then, I'm not privy to his inner thoughts. Maybe he really is serious. That would be something (disturbing).
Religion is for people whose existential fear is greater than their common sense.

The god idea is popular with desperate people.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

The boosters hit us hard. Super sore shoulders, radiating pain, intense headaches, very strong muscle aches all over, a little feverish. Virtually no sleep last night. Feeling a little better today than last night, but overall it feels like when we got our second shot. With upcoming travel and an immunocompromised family member we wanted to be good to go. If this ends up being an annual thing I hope a gentler vaccine is developed because this is some BS.

- Doc
Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:50 pm
The boosters hit us hard. Super sore shoulders, radiating pain, intense headaches, very strong muscle aches all over, a little feverish. Virtually no sleep last night. Feeling a little better today than last night, but overall it feels like when we got our second booster.
Damn. That's what happened to our friend. Kicked his but for 2 days. Hope you both get to feeling better tonight!

With upcoming travel and an immunocompromised family member we wanted to be good to go. If this ends up being an annual thing I hope a gentler vaccine is developed because this is some BS.
You can rest easy knowing you did the right thing to protect your family member and yourselves. I DO think they'll improve the vaccines but wouldn't know when. They are trailing pill form, I think? I didn't get a horrible reaction on any of the shots. Only fatigue and the third one, a level of fatigue that basically kept me flopped out in bed for 4 days.

Um. He didn't say that. ;-)
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Some Schmo wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:06 pm
Jersey Girl wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:48 pm

Yes, please do! One of our friends got the 3rd Moderna and had side effects for 2 days. I'm very sure he's much older than you though so that may have a lot to do with it. I died for 4 days on the third shot of Pfizer but really, it was only fatigue. It was exactly like any time I return to altitude. Resurrected on the fourth day.

Try not to die!
We just had our Moderna boosters this last week. My arm was sore for a couple days, but that was it. My wife, on the other hand, was sick for a day.

This is in contrast to how the first two shots laid me out, whereas my wife only had mild symptoms after the first one. It's so weird how people react differently to the shot series.

One thing we do know: with the literal millions of shots that have been administered compared to the rare instances of serious side effects, we should all understand the vaccines can be regarded as safe.
My appointment is next Friday evening, so I can spend the weekend being miserable. :lol: :lol: :lol:

My healthcare provider has made a systemwide change in face covering requirements. Cloth face coverings are out. Paper surgical masks or N95 or K95 medical grade masks are required. They provide the surgical masks free of charge.

I’m not sure whether this is driven by Omicron, additional research on Cloth face coverings, there increased availability of better PPE, or some combination of the three.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I made a big mistake! Our friend did not have a 3rd shot of Moderna. He had 2 shots of Moderna and boosted with Pfizer.

So mixed vaccines.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Xenophon
Savior (resurrected state)

Post by Xenophon »

Just had some had some friends of ours return from South Africa and we got to catch up with them yesterday (for context he is from there and they were doing their annual 3 week family visit). The news of the omicron variant broke while they were still there and they got to witness in real-time shifts in policy and public perception.

They had to do the now standard preflight COVID test but they had expected that would be it until their return flight. However while there they had to submit to several rapid tests including before a pre-booked train tour and for access to one of the hotels they were staying at all of which were a surprise to them and billed as "new precautions". They also noted their return flight was packed, not a single available seat, which was very different from their arrival flight. There was also mention of more than a few sideways glances during the transfers to their connecting flights.
He/Him

“If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation.”
― Xenophon
MeDotOrg
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by MeDotOrg »

When the weather gets cold, sometimes I use my mask like a muffler. Wearing a mask in the cold can feel good.
The great problem of any civilization is how to rejuvenate itself without rebarbarization.
- Will Durant
"Of what meaning is the world without mind? The question cannot exist."
- Edwin Land
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Shutting down Omicron may be a bad idea. Might be best to just let it rip; well, it's going to anyway. It's 2-3 times more contagious than Delta, and so good luck not getting it in the next few weeks if you step out of the house for any reason. All accounts so far is cross your fingers, it seems mild. Apparently, it got crossed with a regular flu coronavirus, possibly within the cell of some person who had both Covid and the flu. It could trash Delta.

I'm hesitating on the booster. 60% that I'll get it but not entirely sure. A note came out from Pfizer that T-cell response is about the same with 2 shots vs. 3 for preventing severe illness. And that seems to be the consensus on what the outcome would logically be. It's harder for viruses to evade T-cells, or rather, the proteins in your cells that bring pieces of the virus to the surface for the T-cells to sense. Antibodies get all the press, but the cellular response to viruses is ultimately more important. If you can't produce antibodies, that's not as bad as if the cellular response is defective; that's when you'd have to live in a bubble. The good thing about antibodies is that if we're lucky then they can wipe out the virus before it gets into your cells. That's the gold standard for vaccination, but that hasn't worked that great with Covid. But the T-cell response has been similar for Delta and Wuhan strain even if the anti-body response waned for Delta, at least to my understanding that's true; it's harder to find information on that. So it's not unexpected that T-cell response to Omicron should also be good.

I'm sure when Omicron hits, even if it's mild, we'll swamp hospitals on sheer numbers and so I'm sure its still better if as many people as possible get the vaccinated and boosted to free up resources for the tidal wave. But the reports that the Moderna booster being just as bad as the second shot has got me thinking maybe just risk Omi.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Gadianton wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:17 am
I'm hesitating on the booster. 60% that I'll get it but not entirely sure.
Please get it. It is extremely unlikely to pose any risk to your health, most people who have it suffer considerably less reaction to the injection than with the first two doses (and in any case the discomfort is transitory, if it happens at all), and it appears very likely to increase your immune response considerably, and protect you from significant disease or hospitalisation.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Chap wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:23 am
Gadianton wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:17 am
I'm hesitating on the booster. 60% that I'll get it but not entirely sure.
Please get it. It is extremely unlikely to pose any risk to your health, most people who have it suffer considerably less reaction to the injection than with the first two doses (and in any case the discomfort is transitory, if it happens at all), and it appears very likely to increase your immune response considerably, and protect you from significant disease or hospitalisation.
This. Here is what let ‘er rip looks like: https://thecourier.com/news/358174/bvhs ... ecautions/

We’re all sick and tired of wearing masks and social distancing. And health care workers are tired of throwing themselves in harms way. If enough folks give up, we’ll have a country full of hospitals that look like this one.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.