Pandemic: Life on the ground

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
Jersey Girl
God

Re: Pandemic: Life on the ground

Post by Jersey Girl »

I freaking love this man. He has shown us time after time that he is not damned around with our health. Note that we have a "Covid Dial". Note that he's adding another level. He's trying his damndest not to shut us down but he hasn't avoided telling the hard truths and making the hard decisions.

As of this afternoon:
Gov. Jared Polis announced new restrictions for restaurants and gyms meant for counties with exponential growth of COVID-19 cases, but the impact of the changes on Ell Paso county remains unknown.

Polis, at a news conference Tuesday announcing the changes, did not identify the counties where the new rules will go into effect, except to say he expected 10 to 15 counties to move to the new rule categories in a coordinated way across regions. Denver Mayor Michael Hancock confirmed the state's capital would be included in the changes.

The new rules close indoor dining at restaurants and move back the last call for alcohol sales to 8 p.m. from 10 p.m., according to state guidelines. Restaurants can remain open for takeout and delivery or outdoor dining for groups only from the same household, Polis said. The restrictions would also limit occupancy at gyms to 10% of capacity with a reservation system, he said.

The state Department of Public Health and Environment wrote in a tweet that the the new rules would take effect in qualifying counties on Friday.

El Paso County Public Health officials said in a statement that "it is not clear at this time" whether the county will be required to implement the new rules in the near future." The county last Friday lowered the capacities of gyms, restaurants and other public places to 25% of capacity from 50% and time is needed to evaluate how effective the new rules are, according to the statement.

The more strict state rules Polis announced are intended to reduce the exponential spread of the COVID-19 and accompanying increase in hospitalizations that is putting pressure on hospitals struggling with staffing shortages.

"We are taking action to prevent a catastrophic breach of healthcare," Polis said.

Colorado Springs has experienced those pressures. UCHealth announced earlier this week it was starting to implement surge capacity measures to expand how many patients it can care for because of the spike in COVID-19 cases. On Tuesday, the hospital system was caring for 333 COVID-19 cases, including 105 in the Pikes Peak region.

More than 1,000 employees have volunteered to pick up extra shifts, and dozens of nurses who normally work in outpatient settings or other areas in the hospital are now helping in inpatient units, UCHealth said in a statement.

The new state rules are part of a revised version of the state's color-coded dial that indicates what measures counties should be taking to limit the spread of the virus. Counties qualify for the new level red if they have more than 350 new COVID-19 cases per 100,000 residents over two weeks. The new level does not have a limit for how many people could be testing positive for the disease.

A stay-at-home order in a county, now known as level purple, would be triggered when hospital capacity is being exceeded, indicated by the use of medical crisis standards, use of alternative care sites, critical shortages of staff or personal protective equipment, and hospitals approaching 90% of their surge capacity, according to state guidelines.

El Paso County is now recording 1,000 cases per 100,000 residents on average over two weeks and a 14.93% rate of positivity among those who are tested. The World Health Organization recommended in the spring that communities wait to reopen until the rate fell below 5%.

El Paso County also now has one infected person for every 100 residents, Mayor John Suthers said in a statement.

"This is obviously not a sustainable rate and is putting our hospital capacity, our community health and our economy at serious risk," he said. "We need to buckle down, eliminate gatherings with those outside of your households, social distance and stay home whenever possible. The actions of each person can help save lives and save our economy."

The new state rules are meant to present an alternative to some counties that were considering calling for localized lockdowns without state backing, Polis said. At least some of those counties were in the Denver metro area.

"I am hopeful the path today will encourage folks to stay open and stop the exponential rise of the virus," he said.

Before the new rules were announced, many counties, including El Paso, had passed the threshold for a lockdown, which was set at 350 cases per 100,000 residents on average over two weeks.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

My county:

he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

In comparison...

Our county has a population of nearly 1 million people. Since Friday afternoon, we have added 2982 new cases.

ETA: RI it looks like your county has a population comparable to ours which means we're in deep caca.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:32 am
In comparison...

Our county has a population of nearly 1 million people. Since Friday afternoon, we have added 2982 new cases.

ETA: RI it looks like your county has a population comparable to ours which means we're in deep caca.
One lesson we learned the first time round: You have to act well before your ICUs fill up. Exponential increase is nasty — we don’t see it in our day to day lives, so I don’t think we have an intuitive grasp of how fast hospitals can be overwhelmed.

Our hospitals have an emergency network set up so we can shuffle patients around fairly efficiently. We were able to avoid overrunning Seattle hospitals — barely — because the outbreak was mainly in a few concentrated areas. In July, our peak from outbreaks in Yakima (central washington) was managed because hospitals in other areas were able to take patients.

This time around it’s everywhere. So the flexibility we had for the first two peaks won’t be there. The counties can’t help each other. The states can’t help each other. I think I’d rather have had two weeks of stay at home than four weeks of increased restrictions. But, that’s why Inslee’s the Governor and I’m not,

Yeah, I looked at your numbers earlier today and read your post. I think the purple category is a good step, but I fear the trigger will come too late.

You’re doing the right stuff, so just keep it up until you’re well on the downside of this peak.
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

More numbers. Daily new cases in CO per capita are about triple the numbers for Washington. We’re about 830k, so a little smaller than you.

The map above is total new cases per 100,000 in a week by zip code. The County daily new cases per 100,000k is around 28. In my zip code, it’s under 10. I spend my time in the lightest of blue area, occasionally venturing into the next darkest shades. I don’t go to the darkest blue, although some of my census work was in the dark blue in the south central part of the county. That’s Trumper country, but it was not nearly as bad in summer.
he/him

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

I'm still using the Covid tracker that Lemmie gave us. Apparently Johns Hopkins and the CDC both draw from their data or so they claim.

We're in El Paso county and where your rate is 28-ish ours is 62+ if I am reading it correctly. There are other counties in the state with far worse rates than ours but we're definitely going to be on the list for level red this Friday.

Some family members used to say I was obsessing about the numbers but not any more. It was documenting the numbers the whole time that allowed me to know I should sneaky hoard during summer, get in the freezer haul weeks ago, and know we had better cancel Thanksgiving together. And all our C'mas shopping is done.

Our churches are going virtual as well as our local school districts. I did a small grocery pick up at a Walmart today and they are completely out of toilet paper now. So...I think I obsessed in the right direction. I feel really good about what I did all summer long.

One good thing is that this country already knows what hunkering down is and we have all sorts of systems to rely on, so we had better just get on with it. Not overwhelming the hospitals is going to be key as well as staying home, venturing out only if need be and not hanging out anywhere for long.

I wish every state had governors such as our states both do. It's hard to believe there remain states that still have no mask mandate. I expect they will follow suit before long or die trying to avoid it. And I unfortunately do mean, die.

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Our excellent governor!

Colorado Governor Polis: We really need the federal government to step up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW7DC8xzVlI

Slava Ukraini!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Jersey Girl wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:50 am
Our excellent governor!

Colorado Governor Polis: We really need the federal government to step up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW7DC8xzVlI
The only government in the US with a printing press for money is the federal government. The states can’t find what we need to do. I think my gov has been very smart about cutting expenses and preserving our rainy day fund. But states can’t keep this up.

Could you guys swap locations with Idaho? I’d much rather have you on our eastern border.
he/him

Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Just posting this handy little tracker thing found on CNN. Put in your zip code and it brings up your area stats. Show's your curve and all. Also shows your area restrictions.

https://www.cnn.com/resources/coronavirus-information

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Report from on the ground from a pharmacy. Pharmacies are expecting the vaccine to show up around here in January. There was a specific date, but I can't recall and my source is out of pocket right now.

Not sure what that exactly means in terms of administering to different groups, front line workers being first. Wondering if front line workers will receive the vaccine at hospitals or local pharmacies?

Well at least I got something from the end of the local chain.

Slava Ukraini!