Happy Treason Weasel Day!!

The Off-Topic forum for anything non-LDS related, such as sports or politics. Rated PG through PG-13.
canpakes
God

Re: Happy Treason Weasel Day!!

Post by canpakes »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:47 am
One of the greatest scams to ever be pulled in plain sight.

I love this part:
What exactly is Trump’s Save America PAC? “The money in the Save America PAC, unlike money contributed to a standard campaign committee, can be used to benefit Trump in innumerable ways,” explained the Washington Post’s Philip Bump. “Memberships to golf clubs. Travel. Rallies. Even payments directly to Trump himself, as long as he declares it income.”

Grifters and suckers.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

canpakes wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:15 pm
Grifters and suckers.
Shame on Trump for being such a grifter. :evil: It looks like those he suckers will never wise up. :cry:
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Excerpts from -

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/31/nyre ... riots.html

Go-to Lawyer for Capitol Riot Defendants Disappears

John Pierce has been a combative advocate for those accused of participating in the Jan. 6 attack, but he’s missed court appearances for a week.

By Alan Feuer
Aug. 31, 2021
Updated 1:55 p.m. ET

The mysterious disappearance of the lawyer John Pierce began last Tuesday, prosecutors say, when he missed a hearing for one of the many cases where he is representing a defendant in the Capitol riot investigation. The young associate who took his place said that Mr. Pierce had a “conflict.” At the time, no one seemed to give it much mind.

But in the days that followed, Mr. Pierce — who is defending more cases connected to the riot than any other lawyer — missed additional hearings and the reasons for his absence started changing.

On Wednesday, his associate told a judge in one case that Mr. Pierce had gotten Covid-19 and was in the hospital on a ventilator — but only after telling a prosecutor in another case that Mr. Pierce had been in a car accident. That same evening, a different associate told a reporter that Mr. Pierce had in fact been hospitalized, but was getting care for “dehydration and exhaustion.”

Finally, on Monday — after Mr. Pierce had still failed to emerge — the government got involved. Federal prosecutors issued letters to several judges in 17 Capitol riot cases, informing them that no one in the Justice Department had heard from Mr. Pierce in a week and that “multiple” phone numbers for his law firm appeared to have been disconnected.

His criminal cases had come to a “standstill,” the prosecutors said, endangering the rights of his clients. If Mr. Pierce did not surface soon, they added, something — though it was not clear what — would have to be done.

The New York Times tried to reach Mr. Pierce several times by text and phone in recent days, but he did not respond.

Mr. Pierce’s unexplained absence was only the latest twist in his outsized role in defending those accused of participating in the Capitol attack. His clients — among them members of the Proud Boys and the Oath Keepers militia — have stood out not only for their number, but also for the scorched-earth battle that he has vowed to wage on their behalf.

While the government has not yet weighed in on the merits on his claims, prosecutors did express concern in their letters filed on Monday about the young associate, Ryan Joseph Marshall, who has been standing in for Mr. Pierce at the hearings he has missed.

For one thing, Mr. Marshall is not a licensed lawyer, prosecutors said, and has taken actions on behalf of clients “that he is not permitted” to take. Moreover, they went on, it remains unclear if and when Mr. Marshall will be able to get his law license given that he is under indictment in two criminal cases accusing him of corruption, theft and fraud in Pennsylvania.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Yeah, this whole situation is bizarre. Was he threatened by one of these militia groups and so went on the lam? Or is he swimming with the fishes? And having an unlicensed associate appear in court is nuts. The Capitol fell into the Twilight Zone on Jan 6 and never came back. 8-)
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

I am moved to resurrect this thread by reading an article on a film that has been made about the attack on the Capitol:

‘If it were the UK, police would have opened fire’: the explosive film about Trump’s Capitol Hill rioters

It was the day rampaging Trump supporters stormed the Capitol – and almost derailed democracy. Now, using footage from rioters’ cameras, an unsettling film takes you into the thick of the mayhem

My attention was caught by this sentence, referred to in the title:
Had the House of Commons been in comparable jeopardy, he says, “ there would have been massive bloodshed – with that level of threat, I think police would have definitely opened fire. It’s just astonishing that the Capitol police didn’t.”
As I read it, I suddenly found myself thinking "Hell, yes they would have opened fire". It is simply not conceivable that the armed police on the ground guarding the Houses of Parliament would have reacted to a violent penetration of the perimeter in any other way. once they had seen that the alternative was allowing a mass of rioters to get into the buildings. Remember: most police officers in the UK are not armed. If you are an armed officer, you carry your weapons because you are deployed in a situation where you may need to use them, and you are expected to do so if the situation demands it.

NB: I am not trying to claim any special virtue or national machismo here, simply describing they situation as I am pretty sure it would have been.

So the question arises: why did were the Capitol police so comparatively gentle with protestors pretty well all the time - until they were pushed to the last extremity?
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Lack of leadership and a clear chain of command giving lawful orders, underprepared and underoutfitted, outnumbered, and confused. I think those on the ground understood that discharging their weapons would’ve ignited the crowd into a homicidal rage, and they didn’t have the numbers and sufficient ammunition to fight that fight. It appears it turned into a sort of ad hoc diplomacy, which was wise considering the tinderbox situation at hand. That’s what I would’ve done.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:28 pm
Lack of leadership and a clear chain of command giving lawful orders, underprepared and underoutfitted, outnumbered, and confused. I think those on the ground understood that discharging their weapons would’ve ignited the crowd into a homicidal rage, and they didn’t have the numbers and sufficient ammunition to fight that fight. It appears it turned into a sort of ad hoc diplomacy, which was wise considering the tinderbox situation at hand. That’s what I would’ve done.

- Doc
I'm sure your analysis is correct. Sounds like no-one believed the Capitol could ever be the object of a violent attack. Strange.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

To this day I remain in utter disbelief about this cluster f of a situation. Recently my mom, a Trump voter, was telling me that Biden was illegally confining these poor protestors of January 6. I knew that there was little point in trying to engage with her on the topic. I just asked that we talk about something less controversial. Seriously, when people inhabit such starkly different thought worlds, I wonder how we can continue to stay united in a functional republic. I think this is just the first stirrings of much worse things to come.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Chap wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:52 pm
e]

As I read it, I suddenly found myself thinking "Hell, yes they would have opened fire". It is simply not conceivable that the armed police on the ground guarding the Houses of Parliament would have reacted to a violent penetration of the perimeter in any other way. once they had seen that the alternative was allowing a mass of rioters to get into the buildings. Remember: most police officers in the UK are not armed. If you are an armed officer, you carry your weapons because you are deployed in a situation where you may need to use them, and you are expected to do so if the situation demands it.
All I can say is that when I went to Buckingham Palace, I never anticipated the presence the armed police guards there. They weren't having any nonsense, that is for sure, and I'm not talking about the Queen's Guards in front of the building that we all think of either. Let's just say, they were on it.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!
Jersey Girl
God

Post by Jersey Girl »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:46 pm
To this day I remain in utter disbelief about this cluster f of a situation. Recently my mom, a Trump voter, was telling me that Biden was illegally confining these poor protestors of January 6. I knew that there was little point in trying to engage with her on the topic. I just asked that we talk about something less controversial. Seriously, when people inhabit such starkly different thought worlds, I wonder how we can continue to stay united in a functional republic. I think this is just the first stirrings of much worse things to come.
Boy you are not the only one who thinks along those lines, Kish. I have seen so many incidents and crises in this country and I cannot believe what I see happening. It seems that we're imploding on ourselves.
We only get stronger when we are lifting something that is heavier than what we are used to. ~ KF

Slava Ukraini!